Broken Age Needs More Money

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
wulf3n said:
Negatempest said:
So a game that got 800% more funding than the original asking investment still does not produce a full game, that is not questionable but acceptable?
A moot point [kind of]. They had no "game" in mind other than point and click adventure. The actual game was designed after the kickstarter campaign ended so they designed it with the full $3.4 million in mind.

People act as though they had a game planned out with the $400,000 budget, then even though they got %800 more they still couldn't make that $400,000 game. Which is naive at best, disingenuous at worst.

Negatempest said:
That is kinda my point, they got a great amount of cash and it still was not enough to produce a full game.
It's not that large a sum of money in game budget terms, referred to by publishers as "chump change". It still should have been enough, I agree.

Negatempest said:
Also an action was taken. They took millions and still did not make a single game. Literally if Steam was not there there would not even be a first half -_-.
I never heard about an auction, only the Humble Indie Bundle, So I can't weigh in. I'd be happy to respond if you could provide a link.

edit: Haha, I read that has auction not action. I need another coffee :|

To respond to your actual statement and not my caffeine deprived interpretation: It's not like they've done nothing at all. They've stated that if needed they could release the work completed so far, which is about 25% of the game they want to create. Now it's all a bit fuzzy at the moment, but for all we know, that 25% is more than the game that what would have been produced on budget at $400,000.

Negatempest said:
I mean, there is no reaction to this news other than positivity. There is nothing but bad news that they gave, other than saying they are making half of the game and people are okay with that? I just,...why?
It's the nature of Kickstarter. When I clicked the "back this project" button I understood full well that my money may just dissappear.

The moneys gone, getting upset won't change anything.
I know they had no solid ground. The point was never how solid the ground was. They went into kickstarter saying, "We will make a fantastic game just using 400k" They got 3 million. Now they are saying, "Hey guys, 3 million was just enough for half the game at best. Make sure people buy the first half of the game so the second half can be made. :p" That is what I took out of it, and I am surprised that not that many people are angry. Even more surprised that people were okay with that. Remember the whole thing we all talked about of working within the limits so that production costs don't get bloated as AAA games do? Yeah, the guy kinda missed that memo.

I mean, if you guys are okay with half a game from 3 million dollars.. wait let me check something. Oh wow... really? okay to make a long story short, broken age is essentially a PC game and IOS game right? Just those platforms? Now check out Armikrog. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog Less than 1 million, same as Broken Age but instead of IOS it is going to the Wii U. In less than 1 million dollars a claymation game is being made. Can you understand my confusion a little?

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Negatempest said:
I know they had no solid ground. The point was never how solid the ground was. They went into kickstarter saying, "We will make a fantastic game just using 400k" They got 3 million. Now they are saying, "Hey guys, 3 million was just enough for half the game at best.
You keep talking about "the" game, as if what they had in mind at 400k is what they decided to go with after getting 3.4m.

Negatempest said:
I mean, if you guys are okay with half a game from 3 million dollars.. wait let me check something. Oh wow... really? okay to make a long story short, broken age is essentially a PC game and IOS game right? Just those platforms? Now check out Armikrog. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog Less than 1 million, same as Broken Age but instead of IOS it is going to the Wii U. In less than 1 million dollars a claymation game is being made.
What am I supposed to be seeing from Amikrog? That another company thinks they can do basically the same thing for less?

Negatempest said:
Can you understand my confusion a little?
Not really.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
wulf3n said:
Negatempest said:
I know they had no solid ground. The point was never how solid the ground was. They went into kickstarter saying, "We will make a fantastic game just using 400k" They got 3 million. Now they are saying, "Hey guys, 3 million was just enough for half the game at best.
You keep talking about "the" game, as if what they had in mind at 400k is what they decided to go with after getting 3.4m.

Negatempest said:
I mean, if you guys are okay with half a game from 3 million dollars.. wait let me check something. Oh wow... really? okay to make a long story short, broken age is essentially a PC game and IOS game right? Just those platforms? Now check out Armikrog. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog Less than 1 million, same as Broken Age but instead of IOS it is going to the Wii U. In less than 1 million dollars a claymation game is being made.
What am I supposed to be seeing from Amikrog? That another company thinks they can do basically the same thing for less?

Negatempest said:
Can you understand my confusion a little?
Not really.
Smart management is to have someone in the company say, "We can do this and this. But doing this and this will put us in the red." No one did that apparently.

And if I have to put it in details, than yes. A company is making a game with a 1/3rd of Double Fine's money. And putting it on a console no less. So why is Double Fine so stupidly over budgeted where it can no longer afford the full game?

Edit: Now i'll hold by any real ranting when armikrog comes out. "If" they are able to pull it off, than there is no excuse from Double Fine. "If" not. If Armikrog cannot pull it off I would apologize for wasting your time.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Negatempest said:
Smart management is to have someone in the company say, "We can do this and this. But doing this and this will put us in the red." No one did that apparently.
Sure. That's basically a Publisher/Producer.

But the DFA kickstarter was about seeing what happens without a Publisher, where it's all about the creators making the game they want to make.

Will this be a case of their reach exceeding their grasp? perhaps, but it was worth a shot.

Mark Hardigan

Apr 5, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
Uh, dude, you got your budget, work within it. It seems a bit silly to get 8 times your original goal and still not have enough. It reaks of bad management.
As heartless as it may sound, I completely agree. I understand that AAA games take tens of millions of dollars to make, but the idea was never to make a AAA game here, at least not according to the kickstarter. To ask for $400,000 and then end up making $3.3M but then turning around and giving this information honestly makes me question Schafer's intelligence.

This is a problem very prevalent in the games industry, and one of the reasons why it's very much the laughing stock of many other industries. When you get 8 times your original "budget" and then can't work within it, then I'm sorry, but you're clinically retarded when it comes to money, and have no business making any major decisions even remotely connected to money. I'm surprised this man can pay his employees regularly. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the reason that Double Fine hasn't been doing that great with publishers lately is because they are getting tired of having to deal with developers like Double Fine asking for more money.

If Schafer was working at a studio where he had any major decision makers above him, he would most likely be fired right now -- and rightfully so.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Should've looked to Lab Zero. They laid out the cost of shit pretty exactly, explained how long shit would take and how much it would cost, then explained why in painstaking detail. I'd be pissed off. Makes me concerned about having backed Massive Chalice, but that's a different team, isn't it? Ought to work out differently.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Excludos said:
Seriously. Doesn't anyone actually know how to READ?!
Seriously. Doesn't anyone know how to refrain from jumping to a conclusion before they assume they actually fully understood what the writer meant?

Yes I most certainly read the article in its entirety. No what I said is NOT in conflict with that because what I said was to the greater whole. This article conveys a singular message. It is another shining example of why Shafer does not deserve the industry credit he gets. His offerings are over praised, Over hyped mediocre often sub standard offerings. What the article states is that the project is being divided into two parts. So what the backers will end up getting is two half baked halves of a game essentially resulting in 1/4th per installment if his track history holds true. What I said was I hope backers will be able to content themselves with what will amount to a half assed offering tarted up to be something more grandiose than it actually is as this "announcement" serves as notice from Shaffer to those backers that he knows hes in over his head and cannot effectively develop and wont deliver a fraction of all the ideas bouncing around in his head, essentially suffering from Molyneaux style "eyes too big for his mouth" syndrome.

Perhaps it might have been better to try rereading and making certain what side the communication breakdown was on before going off half cocked in condescending net rage demanding to be met in kind.

This isn't a tragedy, this is brilliance. This way they're not fucking with the people who payed for the kickstarter, and we get a better game out of it.
Oh yesm. I am sure that must be it. Thats what I would call being sold a complete game within defined expectations and returned an extended time table but it is OK because its now two games. That is so very reassuring that a second game will fix the problem coming from the person who failed to deliver on the first one thousands of people agreed to and paid for.

Clearly there is far more important and serious work to attend to than to be distracted by some inconsequential jackov like me expressing their snarky little opinion. Hopefully no one is sidetracked by my pointless little musings.

/salute!

Without these type of valiant efforts, one would be forced to wince in pain as they gaze upon Schaffer's offerings without the blinding gleam of a hard hand worked shine job. Such diligence in trying to make this world a little easier to look at goes a long way and is appreciated by all.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Excludos said:
Yeah. Sensationalist titles from escapist have become too norm now. I might stop using this site if this continues. The constant "we need more clicks so sensationalist title!" thing only stains the reputation of the site as a whole, and leads to less viewers in the long run, not more.
Same :(.

I'll just follow the videos on youtube at this rate :/.

Negatempest said:
Genocidicles said:
Negatempest said:
Remember, if the first part flops, there is no second part.
Well if the first part is awful, why would anyone want a second part?
Cause the promise of the kickstarter was to get a full game? What the news said in a nutshell, "With the millions we got, we can only make half a game. Even though our original asking price was 400k." I would not say they swindled the backers. I would say that they went far beyond over budget though, for sure.
http://i.imgur.com/kolvEm0.png

[Maybe this tweet will help you stop looking silly]

Jan 9, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Genocidicles said:
Negatempest said:
Remember, if the first part flops, there is no second part.
Well if the first part is awful, why would anyone want a second part?
The game doesn't have to be awful, it just doesn't have to sell well.
Exactly. Great games undersell all the time. Tim's own output in the past has been a testament to this.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
This is the problem with crowdfunding. Most people don't understand there is a risk you will not see anything. It's an investment, and in all honesty, a poor one. I cannot believe people actually give their money to someone who has little to no accountability to provide anything. You don't even get a cut of the profits if it's successful. You take on all the risk for very little reward. This is why I think crowdfunding is an awful idea until clear contracts with financial rewards, not just some random merchandise, are a part of the deal.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
It seems like very few people actually read the press release.

-They are not asking for more money

-The second chapter is free DLC to backers

-They are using early access cash as collateral to pay off the second half. (eating into profits basically)

-Games, albums, movies and even books can all go crazy over budget and still make a profit.

They said themselves that once they got the the extra money, they expanded the budget. You are not paying for a game budgeted at 400,000 any more. It's higher budget now.

I have not backed, but if the game looks good on early access I will get it and happily support the team. Steam early access has been nothing but great for my gaming and wallet.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Negatempest said:
So, wait.. wait wait. No one is upset over this? Really? And it has now been considered acceptable that when a company gets money beyond what was initially asked and still does not deliver a full game? That fact that the game would be bigger is not the point. To work within the limits of what you have to polish the best game possible was the point wasn't it?

Also the developer is literally gambling in the 1st part of the game making enough profit to finance the second part. Ouch, can't believe people are actually okay with that. Remember, if the first part flops, there is no second part.
It's because "Double Fine" is the one involved, if it was unknowng Joe, everybody would be claiming bloody murder.

I also live the very apologist attitude of "no noooo, we are still getting the game, they just need to do the first part sale to cover the corners!". Thing is, Chaffer's games, though they can get all the acclaim they want, have sold like crap in pretty much all instances and even then, when you take off the coat of creativity, people seem to agree that they aren't that hot as games, like Brutal Legend. So I wouldn't consider it a given that they'll get the financing they need.

Thing is, he is the standard arty type that NEEDS a number cruncher to keep his "vision" from damming everybody involved.

Also, if you have a full team of people doing NOTHING, well you might juts have to lay them off instead of putting more pressure on the company as a whole and maybe ending up with the need to layoff even more people.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Entitled said:
No, maybe it's all a conspiracy to pretend that everyone will get the full game for one payment, right until the last minute.
No need to get snarky. Further the guy actually didn't know, which is why I asked the question, because I didn't either.

Entitled said:
Then again, if Double Fine would want to decieve you, they would only need to declare the first half of the story to be a finished game (that happens to end with a cliffhanger for "artistic reasons"), and then spend the next two years finishing the other half as "Broken Age 2" the slow way, or even start a new Kickstarter justified by how they "delivered their promise releasing a $3 million game, and now they want to do it again".

The only reason why you even have a chance complain that they might possibly only give you "half a game", is because they were open enough to disclose that they ended up thinking in much bigger than what they are ready to release. There are plenty of games, that cut huge amounts of unfinished material. That doesn't mean that they are all "less than a full game".

The knowledge that at one point during the development they had even bigger plans, doesn't harm you in any way.
I covered this in my last post. All he had to do was hint at this and there is no problem. Let me try explaining one last time, because if this doesn't make it clear I don't think you and I are understanding each other at all.

Bob donated $10 to Joe in expectation of getting a game. Bob told lots of other people because Joe's idea was really good. Joe said he needed $400. But because Joe's idea is so good, he ended up with $3,200. Joe now has some options.
1.)He can make a crappy game that is below his actual budget($3,200) and risk the ire of his donors by pocketing the extra $2800.
2.) He can realize his budget has significantly increased and as result he needs to make a higher quality game in order to feel like he didn't let anyone down. He modifies his original concept to be a deeper experience and still able to be delivered on time on or under budget. The product is released and Joe is happy as is Bob.
3.)He can realize his budget has significantly increased and as result he needs to make a higher quality game in order to feel like he didn't let anyone down. Instead of figuring out a way to maximize his available resources, he let's the budget go his head and ends up having to alter the initial premise of the agreement.

I prefer option 2, but he chose option 3. Whatever, it's his choice but now his actions have consequences(as they should) In literally almost any other profession(and even within game design) people have been fired or reprimanded by their company and the public for the failure(Peter Molyneaux anyone?)to not meet expectations. In this case, the expectation was ONE game to be released in X amount of time. What we have now is two games being released, one of which is already over budget necessitating high sales of game 1 to make game 2 a viable option. Further complicating this is the general public's "Eh, it's a kickstarter project. What did you expect?" attitude. I may be crazy(highly likely) but when I am told by anyone I have given money to, I expect them to hold up their end. The issue for me is NOT that they have found a workable solution to make it viable, the issue for me is that due to horrid mismanagement they are unable to deliver the artist's original vision. You may substitute developer's product if that helps.

In a larger publisher I would understand but with this, but from what I have read, it was HIS PROJECT. If the project head is unable to accurately manage an enormously larger budget that doesn't meets his original end goal(one game, delivered on a set date with potential for more if wanted/needed), something is wrong. You correctly pointed out that development is not like other businesses, but imagine if this scenario was played out in the business world. Heads would roll and oversight committees would be swooping down trying to find out where the excess money went. Maybe I am too grounded in that, and that is the problem, but ultimately companies sell games to make money. If it makes you feel better you can assume I am angry about his project manager's failures, or his budget committee's failures but that is ultimately what this is to me...a failure to up hold the agreement he originally made. What I don't know if I have made clear is that he changed(to my way of thinking) the bargain and now he wants everyone to be ok with it because he was so blown away by the budget he got carried away. Now again, I am not saying him making a better game is a problem. I actually approve of him doing that given his budget increase. What I am saying is that altering the original deal rubs me the wrong way and people should be upset about it. Again, if Joe thinks he can make a good game for $400 and ends up with $3200, what exactly, is preventing him from making a game that is $2800 better on time? Aside from hubris. Or even if he had to announce that due to people's largess, he has to push back the product in order to make it better? Instead we get well here is a game that is going to be "better" than a $3200 game, but that's still not enough to complete where I wanted it to go, so have part A(Story, game, whichever term you like) and based on how well Part A does, we may get Part B which completes my original intent.

Sorry about the length, but I was really trying to make it clear.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
wulf3n said:
A moot point [kind of]. They had no "game" in mind other than point and click adventure. The actual game was designed after the kickstarter campaign ended so they designed it with the full $3.4 million in mind.

People act as though they had a game planned out with the $400,000 budget, then even though they got %800 more they still couldn't make that $400,000 game. Which is naive at best, disingenuous at worst.
That was their first mistake. You don't go to Kickstarter with just "HEY, I want to make a game!", you don't go with a publisher with that vague of an idea, you'd get laughed out of their offices, so why should you do any different on Kickstarter? I've seen games with playable and enjoyable prototypes fail (ie. Death Inc.) but just on a vague notion of a point and click they bloody get three million? Where is the sense in that? Why should you give all that money to someone who at the time has no idea what he's going to make beyond the genre? Any other person would've had a failed Kickstarter for being vague. And people were frankly bloody stupid for just going in fully blind and backing Schafer even though we know full well thanks to Brütal Legend and some other projects that 1) he's perfectly capable of delivering a dud. 2) prone to falling victim to feature creep when left to his own devices.

So really, the backers are at fault for this situation for jumping on it as blindly as they did in the first place, you don't back a project that has nothing to show for itself, that's responsible Kickstarter usage 101.

Double Fine SHOULD by all means have had a game planned out for $400k when they went to Kickstarter, rather than just the vaguest notion of wanting to make some kinda point & click.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Excludos said:
SweetShark said:
Evil Smurf said:
I'm a backer of this project, am I going to get the full game?
Why when you saying that, I read it with a voice of a cute innocent small kitty?
HHHHHNNGGGGGGGGGGG *dead by heart*

OP:
I am a "backer" because I bought the Humble Bundle back then.
I didn't expected to see having difficulties having a big amount of money to their disposal.
Then why they created another Kickstarter for a new game if they are not sure for their first one?
Not mad or anything, but I don't want to be disappointed....
Well, you have a full team doing nothing. They can not help the current game in any way, except join the project and make it lose more money quicker. Thats why there is no connection between game nr 1 and 2, and if they wanted to they could probably kickstart an entire game nr 3 completely unaffected by the first two again. The teams are separate, and can not help each other.
So they are different teams then.
I am ok with that.
If they indeed follow this plan and have the two parts available to us the backers to play, I will be fine.
If this is the case, why many people complaining? It is like the episodic game like Sam and Max or Walking Dead.