Browser MMO Glitch to Close

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
They cite lack of users for their failure, but require an invite to join the game.

I think I see what their problem is.
The original post says

New signups to the game have been closed following the announcement. Existing players can still invite a new player in to experience the last few weeks of the game, but that's it.
(emphasis mine.)

Which would imply, unless you're privy to some information outside the article, that the requirement of an invitation to play is specific to the last weeks of the game in its decline.

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
Beffudled Sheep said:
Jikuu said:
I play this (same name on Glitch). I can agree with many folks that it was probably not advertised enough. I found out through a friend about 2 months ago, and that was because she finally got her beta invite through the mail. The beta label just dropped off maybe a month ago. It's also not a very Googleable name. One of the staff also said that the game cost a half million a month to run, and it was a free-to-play game that offered the ability to buy credits and subscriptions. It also got a bit of crap for being Flash-based.

It's a fun game. You grow trees, mine, explore, fish, build furniture and towers, and fight off a giant bird that wishes to unmake imagination by meditating and throwing stuff into a shrine. Definitely different, and the community was pleasant (although they were ruthless with anyone who confessed to being under 14 due to the TOS). I really hope that Tiny Speck gets a new project soon, and maybe someday we'll see Glitch in another form again.
That sounds fun :D
What was the actual gameplay like? Interface, controls, etc.
Arrows keys or mouse clicks to move around, spacebar or double click to jump. I ended up using one hand on the keyboard for movement and the other on the mouse for selecting stuff. Lots of teeny menus that go away quickly. Just don't right-click on the screen; the menu for that can take forever to go away and stop interfering with your view.
This explains the interface better than I could: http://www.glitch-strategy.com/wiki/Game_Screen

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
Callate said:
vxicepickxv said:
They cite lack of users for their failure, but require an invite to join the game.

I think I see what their problem is.
The original post says

New signups to the game have been closed following the announcement. Existing players can still invite a new player in to experience the last few weeks of the game, but that's it.
(emphasis mine.)

Which would imply, unless you're privy to some information outside the article, that the requirement of an invitation to play is specific to the last weeks of the game in its decline.
I checked my "I've invited you to play Glitch" link (http://lem.to/r/ubc1), and I don't think it works. Feel free to try, though.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I'm sorry, but I have a hard time feeling bad for the game closing. While I do feel bad for the players who loved the game, and the people who are losing their jobs, I do not feel the slightest twinge of remorse for the game or the developers. The developer's job isn't just to make a game, but also to make sure people know about said game. I don't care how awesome the game is, if there is no easy way for people to find out about the game then the game will never make any money. So if they never bothered to let people know the game was out there (and it is never the player's "job" to advertise the game through word of mouth) how were they intending to make money off of it. The feeling I get from the interview is that Tiny Spark never expected it to be successful, they just wanted to try something new and different. That is all fine and well, but if you don't have faith in your product why make it?

Where this becomes truly sad is when you think about all the players who actually want to try something different. This failure means even more fear for the developers about creating something outside the "normal" mold. I for one have been longing to try something new. I got a taste of "different" with The Secret World (and I am still playing it), but it was only a taste as it didn't go very far from the tree of normal.

I hope the next project they work on will include an advertising budget. If not I think we need to petition them to get off of their collective buttocks to make room on the budget. I am sure they will probably stick to typical design choices in the future though, as I am sure they lost a boat load of money on this game. I am hoping they don't though.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
nyttyn said:
I've played it.

I'll be completely honest with all parties who are wondering what the fuss was about: It was a crap game. It was essentially a souped up version of farmville. Hell, you could've called it Bars: The Game. You used a progress bar to make your other progress bars go up and then those progress bars enable progress bars to make other progress bars go faster and let you use more progress bars. And it was all accomplished by clicking. Movement was monotonous, and most things had absurdly high upkeep.

Essentially, it was a korean bunny hop MMO with none of the sustenance or style that makes a korean bunny hop MMO work. It was all of the grind of a MMO, and none of the fun.

I'd rate it generously 1 star out of 5 simply because of art style and sound. The game itself was complete and total rubbish.

Its loss will not be mourned.
So many bitter folks for the sake of being bitter.

It wasn't farmville ffs. Though, it wasn't all too amazing at that either. It was basically a platformer MMO with no combat, and a heavy crafting/exploration focus. Had a great community, and I even played a villain (briefly) in order to get people to work against me. If you ever saw areas with trees and animals wiped out, with a nefarious note left behind daring you to negate my effects, it was likely me. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Anyone who had serious issues with the game would have had the same issues with any game with a lack of direction. This is why CoD exists, and then there are sandboxes where we create our own content - like I did.

/slam

Oct 2, 2012
Jikuu said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
Jikuu said:
I play this (same name on Glitch). I can agree with many folks that it was probably not advertised enough. I found out through a friend about 2 months ago, and that was because she finally got her beta invite through the mail. The beta label just dropped off maybe a month ago. It's also not a very Googleable name. One of the staff also said that the game cost a half million a month to run, and it was a free-to-play game that offered the ability to buy credits and subscriptions. It also got a bit of crap for being Flash-based.

It's a fun game. You grow trees, mine, explore, fish, build furniture and towers, and fight off a giant bird that wishes to unmake imagination by meditating and throwing stuff into a shrine. Definitely different, and the community was pleasant (although they were ruthless with anyone who confessed to being under 14 due to the TOS). I really hope that Tiny Speck gets a new project soon, and maybe someday we'll see Glitch in another form again.
That sounds fun :D
What was the actual gameplay like? Interface, controls, etc.
Arrows keys or mouse clicks to move around, spacebar or double click to jump. I ended up using one hand on the keyboard for movement and the other on the mouse for selecting stuff. Lots of teeny menus that go away quickly. Just don't right-click on the screen; the menu for that can take forever to go away and stop interfering with your view.
This explains the interface better than I could: http://www.glitch-strategy.com/wiki/Game_Screen
Wish I had heard of it then... Might have been an MMO I could like :/

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
GTwander said:
nyttyn said:
I've played it.

I'll be completely honest with all parties who are wondering what the fuss was about: It was a crap game. It was essentially a souped up version of farmville. Hell, you could've called it Bars: The Game. You used a progress bar to make your other progress bars go up and then those progress bars enable progress bars to make other progress bars go faster and let you use more progress bars. And it was all accomplished by clicking. Movement was monotonous, and most things had absurdly high upkeep.

Essentially, it was a korean bunny hop MMO with none of the sustenance or style that makes a korean bunny hop MMO work. It was all of the grind of a MMO, and none of the fun.

I'd rate it generously 1 star out of 5 simply because of art style and sound. The game itself was complete and total rubbish.

It wasn't farmville ffs. Though, it wasn't all too amazing at that either. It was basically a platformer MMO with no combat, and a heavy crafting/exploration focus. Had a great community, and I even played a villain (briefly) in order to get people to work against me. If you ever saw areas with trees and animals wiped out, with a nefarious note left behind daring you to negate my effects, it was likely me. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Anyone who had serious issues with the game would have had the same issues with any game with a lack of direction. This is why CoD exists, and then there are sandboxes where we create our own content - like I did.

/slam
I'm not being bitter, I'm saying it how it is. It honestly was not even a good game. What light platforming elements there were lead to yet more bar clicking, and it was always bar clicking. The commmunity was good, sure, but to say that someone should play CoD because they thought Bars: The Game was too much bars is silly.

You want a sandbox? Go for eve online, or garry's mod. Those types of games are good sandboxes.

Glitch was just a whole bunch of grinding.

bowandsword

Mar 30, 2011
Add me to the group never heard of this game but would play if i heard of it.
nyttyn said:
GTwander said:
nyttyn said:
I've played it.

/slam
I'm not being bitter, I'm saying it how it is. It honestly was not even a good game. What light platforming elements there were lead to yet more bar clicking, and it was always bar clicking. The commmunity was good, sure, but to say that someone should play CoD because they thought Bars: The Game was too much bars is silly.

You want a sandbox? Go for eve online, or garry's mod. Those types of games are good sandboxes.

Omg why must you people show me this game is what i wanted from a mmorpg a MMo with roleplaying why are u people such horrible people and why cant people use advertising

Also would love said link to said game from one of u horrible people :)
(just put @hotmail.com) after my user name.
i would love to try this game before is closes.

also we "might" be able to save it since it seems the closing of this game is the most heard message to the public from the developers, by just keep linking people to join the game
hint hint me

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
This is the first time I've ever heard of this game.

Now I have heard of it, I'd like to try it out... oh wait, I can't.

You're not doing yourselves any favours here, instead of closing down new applicants, perhaps you should have tried this as a marketing strategy, considering this is the first time almost anyone has ever heard of it.

Oct 2, 2012
bowandsword said:
Add me to the group never heard of this game but would play if i heard of it.
nyttyn said:
GTwander said:
nyttyn said:
I've played it.

/slam

Omg why must you people show me this game is what i wanted from a mmorpg a MMo with roleplaying why are u people such horrible people and why cant people use advertising

Also would love said link to said game from one of u horrible people :)
(just put @hotmail.com) after my user name.
i would love to try this game before is closes.

also we "might" be able to save it since it seems the closing of this game is the most heard message to the public from the developers, by just keep linking people to join the game
hint hint me
Sorry you'll hyave to get it from someone else. Apparent;y you can only be invited by a current player and sadly I ain't one. This sucks :(