Brutal Legend Designer Tim Schafer on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Brutal Legend Designer Tim Schafer on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

Tim Schafer recently appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, talking about his new game, Brutal Legend.

If gaming was a planet-eating space giant, then Tim Schafer would be the bald silver surfer dude who came and told everyone he was coming. It helps that Schafer can name check Jack Black and Ozzy Ozbourne when he's talking about Brutal Legend, but come on; video game releases treated like movie releases? Soon you'll be telling me that cats and weasels are the secret masters of the Illuminati!

[small](quietly crosses fingers and wishes really hard)[/small]

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5373414/watch-tim-schafer-on-late-night-with-jimmy-fallon]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
It's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Conan O'Brien is the host of the Tonight Show.

And Fallon is such a boring host...Either way this is not the first time Fallon promotes a video game in his show. He did the same for the Tiger Wood game and the UFC one.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
nilcypher said:
Soon you're be telling me that cats and weasels are the secret masters of the Illuminati!

[small](quietly crosses fingers and wishes really hard)[/small]
I hate to tell you this, but...
[sub]Cats are secretly one of the master races of the illuminati. can't say the same about weasels though. ask the guy on the Isle Of Wight. he knows more than I do. Beware of the Lizards.[/sub]

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
My god, he's so awesome. I think I'm in love with Tim Schafer.

Also, this made me want Brutal Legend even more.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
oliveira8 said:
It's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Conan O'Brien is the host of the Tonight Show.

And Fallon is such a boring host...Either way this is not the first time Fallon promotes a video game in his show. He did the same for the Tiger Wood game and the UFC one.
So this is the first game that's actually highlighting the creativity of the games industry instead of "hey! we took something already mainstream and made a game out of it!".

And yeah, Jimmy Fallon taking Conan O'Brian's place? Impossible. Jimmy Fallon was never funny.

Interestingly enough, Jay Leno was supposed to retire but it turns out he's getting a new show. What the Hell happened there?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
As of right now, Fallon is the only talk show host who's promoted video games on his show. I doubt his promotion of Brutal Legend will help plug it to his general audience of comatose children, housewives and parrots, but I can't help but appreciate it.

Besides, I already pre-ordered the game :)

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
It is pretty awesome that Fallon wants to use his show to promote video games and treat them like the valid art form they are. Its not awesome that his show sucks. He needs to do more movies about the Redsox.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Whatever the negatives, in terms of Fallon could be a better host , it would have been nice to have had Jack Black on too, etc, this is still an excellent sign that perhaps videogames are being accepted in some small areas of mass media, and for that we can only be thankful.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I always cringe when I see a videogame developer on a prime time TV show. They're always treated like oddities and it just shows the ignorance of the mainstream towards videogames.

Can't wait for Brutal Legend though. I wasn't interested in the game at all, but the demo made me do a complete 180. Finally, a violent, cartoony game with swearing and smoking.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
ccesarano said:
oliveira8 said:

So this is the first game that's actually highlighting the creativity of the games industry instead of "hey! we took something already mainstream and made a game out of it!".

And yeah, Jimmy Fallon taking Conan O'Brian's place? Impossible. Jimmy Fallon was never funny.

Interestingly enough, Jay Leno was supposed to retire but it turns out he's getting a new show. What the Hell happened there?
He did other games. Some Wii ones if I remenber right. But yeah this might be the first GAME FOR GAMERS advertised on a talk Show.

Silly enough....the target media of Late Night Show is young adults...the type of people that play games like Brutal Legend. If Tim showed up in Oprah that would be something to rave about.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
The audience must've been injected with something.

- "What's this game about?"
- "It's about a guy who gets pulled into a world where humans are enslaved by demons"
*Big Laugh*

Wait...

Tim Schaefer may be a cool, cool guy, but he's kind of awkward when giving interviews. This was one of his better ones.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I heard if we sacrifice someone to the volcano god, we get Brutal Legend now.

Anyone want to step up?

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
The Great JT said:
I heard if we sacrifice someone to the volcano god, we get Brutal Legend now.

Anyone want to step up?
Fine. I can always play Brutal Legend in Heaven.