Brutal Legend soundtrack - what's missing?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Slash Dementia said:
miracleofsound said:
It really sucks that you have to unlock some of the songs.

Where are Carcass hiding????
On the list? They have "No Love Lost" from Carcass' Heartwork album. It would have been better if it was from Necrotism...
I meant in the actual game... I think No Love Lost is one of the unlockable songs.

Which is annoying because I don't know where it is.

Though I did unlock Oblivion by Mastodon today which was a happy moment!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
iron fist150 said:
where the hell is anything by Iron Maiden!? they were one of the first heavy metal bands!
My guess is that both thier and Metallica's labels got pissy about the licencing.

Which I bet they are both going to regret as gamers discover so many cool new bands from BL.

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
Great sound track but i kind of wish it had some Metallic not the new stuff god no but something from Master Of Puppets or Justice For All.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
ACDC. Sure Dirty Deeds, Back in Black, and Highway to Hell are overdone but they're iconic. also, Let there be Rock.

More Manowar. Always. HAIL FROM NORTH AMERICA!

narfiref said:
The complete lack of Ronnie James Dio in any band (Rainbow, Sabbath or solo) is a travesty. I also found the lack of Helloween to be disappointing. It would have been nice if they represented folk metal and neoclassical metal as those are two of my favorite post NWoBHM styles (along with power). I think it would have been good to represent late 60's through 70's proto-metal hard rock. Stuff like Blue Cheer, Deep Purple, Queen, AC/DC, and (again) Rainbow. Those bands were so influential.
ACDC yes. The rest, no. Thats Hair Metal, they are the enemy.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Banok said:
radiohead? the beattles? less powerchords?
Um...wow. You apparently didn't get the memo. Brutal Legend is a celebration of Metal. Not Rock, but Metal, and Metal alone.

Malevolent Stranger

Jun 28, 2009
As was stated before, No maiden.

Also, to anyone that doesn't think that Cradle belongs, compare Her Ghost in the Fog to Through the Fire and the Flames. Both are included, HGitF belongs, TFNF doesn't.

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
i would have liked more thrash-, death-, and black metal. but i´m not a metal head i only like metal but when i do then it´s most likely this. but they definetly could have put some neurosis, akimbo or wolves in the throne room in there. but that´s just an opinion coming from a hardcore point of view. i don´t even know if it would be "true" to add that.

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
Sinister Minister said:
I see KMFDM being referred to as Industrial Metal, and if that is the case, I would have loved to see something from Nine Inch Nails on there, but you can't have everything.
i think that song is the only song that doesn´t fit in the soundtrack(except for that kabbage boy crapsong that is an intern joke), but still only because it´s the only song in that style, even the ministry track wasn´t that industrial, so if there´s industrial, there should be more and nine inch nails would´ve been nice. but what are you gonna do? next thing you know someone wants metalcore, powerviolence or fucking limp bizkit there. kudos to double fine for keeping it true(that´s what my metal roommate says). i heard at first the publisher(then activision?) suggested the game should rather revolve around hip hop than metal(check wikipedia), wtf? how would you pull that off??? the whole world is built on old-school metal and hard rock imagery. doing this with hip hop would be ridicolous. i´m not saying a hip hop-action adventure would never work, but this game was born out of metal and you can´t just pull an oversized hoodie over it and think it will be good. although i would love to see a game that deals with hip hop with the same love for the culture that shafer and his team had with brutal legend...

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
I finally narrowed my choice to one song. El Phantasmo and the Chicken-Run Blast-O-Rama also by white zombie and a prime example of what I at least consider metal. Then again I don't think KISS is metal so maybe Tim is confused or something. Especially since this game makes cracks about selling out and you can get anything from condoms to caskets emblazened with KISS.

narfiref

Oct 17, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
ACDC. Sure Dirty Deeds, Back in Black, and Highway to Hell are overdone but they're iconic. also, Let there be Rock.

More Manowar. Always. HAIL FROM NORTH AMERICA!

narfiref said:
The complete lack of Ronnie James Dio in any band (Rainbow, Sabbath or solo) is a travesty. I also found the lack of Helloween to be disappointing. It would have been nice if they represented folk metal and neoclassical metal as those are two of my favorite post NWoBHM styles (along with power). I think it would have been good to represent late 60's through 70's proto-metal hard rock. Stuff like Blue Cheer, Deep Purple, Queen, AC/DC, and (again) Rainbow. Those bands were so influential.
ACDC yes. The rest, no. Thats Hair Metal, they are the enemy.
I find your ignorance of Metal history appalling. None of the bands that I listed are Glam Metal. And "Glam" is the correct term, not "Hair".
Blue Cheer's first album, Vincebus Eruptum (1968) is considered by some to be the first Heavy Metal album ever, although they are also frequently classified as Acid Rock. Here's a link to their best know song, a cover of Eddie Cochran's <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W8jcDS2It0>Summertime Blues.

Although not as heavy as Sabbath, Deep Purple is frequently grouped with them and Led Zeppelin as the biggest pioneers of Heavy Metal. Second singer Ian Gillan was also the third singer of Black Sabbath, and is Bruce Dickinson's biggest influence. Here's <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0rAP87B7UA>Speed King from In Rock. Riff-master guitarist Ritchie Blackmore left the band in 1975 to form Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio as front-man, singer and lyricist. Here's a performance of <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFH36je9Hro>Man on the Silver Mountain" from their self-titled first album (1975). After three albums, Dio left due to creative differences, as Blackmore wanted to go in a more radio friendly direction. Despite this, Blackmore still retained some of his classical music influences as is demonstrated by the epic instrumental title track of the band's fifth album, <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLLiBFmm7QM&feature=PlayList&p=623FF1A5986DF451&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21>Difficult to Cure, (1981) a rearrangement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Blackmore is the primary influence of the neoclassical style; Yngwie Malmsteen practically worships him.

In 1979, Dio joined Black Sabbath as Ozzy's replacement. Realising that Ozzy's high energy stage antics made him a tough act to follow, he decided that he needed a gimmick to define his stage presence. He eventually chose to borrow a hand gesture from the folk-magic of his Sicilian heritage, a charm originally used to ward off the Evil Eye. Today they are most commonly known as the "Devil Horns." \m/ You can see them in action here in the epic title track of 1980's <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUJH7y1yK_E>Heaven and Hell. Due to a misunderstanding, Dio left Sabbath after two studio efforts and a live album, to form his own band. The title track of the debut album, <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj7UBgVVew8>Holy Diver (1983), would have been perfect for right after the final boss fight.

Of those I mentioned, Queen is the only one considered to be Glam in the least, although that's Glam Rock, not Metal; they are two different, but related genres. Many people don't realize this because all they hear of Queen is what they play on the radio, but Queen started out pretty heavy. Here's "<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2oFOt9YrA> Great King Rat from their self titled 1973 debut , and "<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DvlYv5RrVQ>Ogre Battle from their follow up, Queen II (1974). I'm starting to get tired of typing this, so just read <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_%28band%29#Influence>this from Wikipedia to see about how influential they were. I'll also add to that but pointing out that Brendon Small based Skwisgaar Skwigelf's guitar style on Brian May's for Dethklok/Metalocalypse.

Finally, Helloween was one of the first Power Metal bands, which is nothing like Glam Metal, except for the fact that neither genre tends to glorify evil, and both have intelligible vocals and melodies. Listen to "<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuUVemJnbw>Eagle Fly Free" off of Keeper of the Seven Keys, pt. 2 (1988).

Ugh, I'm done. This took way too long to compose.

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
I think the lack of Metallica and Iron Maiden has to do with licensing rights.

Also, from what I've heard, Dio was supposed to voice the main bad guy, Emperor Doviculus, but turned it down because of Ozzys involvement.

And they managed to include Through the Fire and Flames pretty well. I'm not too fond of the song myself, but it fit that scene perfectly.

IrishBerserker

Oct 6, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
What do you think, metalheads? What's missing from the Brutal Legend soundtrack? Tear it apart now, while they still have time to secure rights!

No Amon Amarth or any good viking metal
No Lamb of God
not enough Slayer
Too much pop/glam/hair metal

(I could go on)

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Like lots have said, the lack of Iron Maiden annoyed me. Also the inclusion of Through the Fire and the Flames annoyed me (but thats just personal taste)

LordBag

Jan 10, 2008
Already a great list and probably the best I've seen in a game for a long time, but if I were to add a few it would probably be;-

- Strapping Young Lad
- Sepultura
- Evile
- Pantera