BUG OUT BAGS

legend of duty

Apr 30, 2011
While adding a few items to my own, I wondered what the escapists think about them in general.
Do you have one? Whats in it?
Do you think its a good idea to have one or do you think there stupid?
Please share your thoughts on them.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Bug out bag- a bag containing all the necessities to make it through at least 72 hours, made primarily for evacuation and not long term survival.

Now that I know what one is no I don't have one. If I had to evacuate and knew shit was going to get bad before hand I'd grab a bottle of water and a flash light. Though how would I really know shit was going to get serious? Am I running from a slow moving volcanic stream of lava? George Romero zombies? Or a riot?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't really have a bug out bag per say, but I do keep quite a few survival necessities in my car just on the off chance that I need any of them (and I have on a couple of occasions).

Stuff I keep in my car for emergencies:

1 folding knife in the arm rest (in the event my car flips over in an accident I can use this to cut my seat belt or break a window to get out)
1 survival knife (a big knife with a 10 inch blade that can be used to cut wood, or for various other survival tasks)
1 first aid kit
1 flashlight
Road flares
Flint (to start a fire)
2 bottles of water
Change of cloths (one tee-shirt, one pair of old jeans, one hooded sweatshirt)

In the event that I get stuck in the wilderness for some reason I figure I can survive at least a few days with that stuff. In the event that I need to "bug out" of my house I would toss a case of water bottles into my car, some canned food, a couple of guns, and a few boxes of ammo, and I'd pretty much be set for anything.

Now, the fact that I have this stuff doesn't mean that I'm some crazy survivalist or anything. In fact, I don't ever foresee encountering a situation where I would need to "bug out." The majority of the stuff that's in my car is stuff that I think would be useful in the event that I get into a bad car accident, or if my car broke down in the middle of nowhere.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
I don't really have a bug out bag per say, but I do keep quite a few survival necessities in my car just on the off chance that I need any of them (and I have on a couple of occasions).

Stuff I keep in my car for emergencies:

1 folding knife in the arm rest (in the event my car flips over in an accident I can use this to cut my seat belt or break a window to get out)
1 survival knife (a big knife with a 10 inch blade that can be used to cut wood, or for various other survival tasks)
1 first aid kit
1 flashlight
Road flares
Flint (to start a fire)
2 bottles of water
Change of cloths (one tee-shirt, one pair of old jeans, one hooded sweatshirt)

In the event that I get stuck in the wilderness for some reason I figure I can survive at least a few days with that stuff. In the event that I need to "bug out" of my house I would toss a case of water bottles into my car, some canned food, a couple of guns, and a few boxes of ammo, and I'd pretty much be set for anything.

Now, the fact that I have this stuff doesn't mean that I'm some crazy survivalist or anything. In fact, I don't ever foresee encountering a situation where I would need to "bug out." The majority of the stuff that's in my car is stuff that I think would be useful in the event that I get into a bad car accident, or if my car broke down in the middle of nowhere.
How often do you change those water bottles? I wouldn't trust 'em for longer than a week or so in an atmosphere like that. Probably not even that long.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Phht. Who needs a bug out bag when you have... RETREATING POWERS. *runs away*

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
A few MREs, one aluminum canteen (stored empty), one multitool (an old Leatherman), one combat knife (classic ka-bar), five 13-round mags for my Glock 21 loaded with hollow-points, my Glock 21, one flashlight, one lighter (zippo), one bottle of lighter fluid, one small package of firesteel, a hygiene kit (equipped to the same standard as I had in the army) 3 changes of underwear, socks and undershirts.

**edit** forgot: one hatchet, one small bottle of mineral oil, a few rags.

As for my thoughts... better to have and not need than need and not have? Something like that.
I suppose it could use a first-aid kit outside of what's in my hygiene kit and the polishing rags... what's there is good enough for disinfecting and pressure-dressing, though not much else.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
un-used cell phone from Walmart
Knife
Magnesium block
pistol
2 clips of ammo
Bag of beef jerky
Water/filter bottle
Fully enclosable sleeping bag
One of those shake to charge flashlights

All of it is in a backpack so I'd say it's fairly ok.

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
I'm sorta becoming one of those guys who always has whatever's needed for the current situation in my backpack that I always wear, so I guess I'm probably going to have one eventually. Although I usually prepare for less than dire situations as well, like if I suddenly need to hook up a laptop to a projector, someone runs out of batteries, my friend's mouse breaks, or it suddenly starts raining. But I'm also starting to generally carry some basic survival stuff, like Swiss Army Knife and a larger knife, flashlight, lighter, and whatnot. The only thing I probably won't carry generally is spare food, but I usually have food like that wherever I'm currently staying, so if necessary I could just grab it quickly on the way out.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, I keep it at the bottom of my turtleneck drawer. It's a calf-skin Hermes grip, and it's full of fake passports, mustaches, and two hundred grand in cash. Glass jars filled with Kentucky moonshine optional.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I have most of the needed components for one except one important bit...the bag. So as of now I'm using a small tactical bag as a "fighting load" of sorts. Not enough for me to go in the woods and survive, but enough for me to get about in a chaotic situation and do what I have to do. Basically, its a a med kit, four magazines, knife, iodine tablets, compass, and a couple other stuff.

Currently missing: Firestarter, canteen, bag(herp derp), and a one man tent.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I don't explicitly have one; however, my backpack I use for long distance hiking has in it at all times all of the ten essentials for outdoor survival, some portion of freeze dried food (In case a trip goes a day longer than I planned) and sufficient storage for 2.5 gallons of water. I also have, in ready access, a glock 30 and 31 rounds in addition to miscellaneous ball rounds, a Sig Saur P226 and 46 rounds with additional practice rounds, water purification, and shelter sufficient for three season long distance travel on foot.

It isn't a bug out bag in that it is never actively prepared for the purpose; however, loading this bag with the above would take perhaps five minutes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dmase said:
Bug out bag- a bag containing all the necessities to make it through at least 72 hours, made primarily for evacuation and not long term survival.

Now that I know what one is no I don't have one. If I had to evacuate and knew shit was going to get bad before hand I'd grab a bottle of water and a flash light. Though how would I really know shit was going to get serious? Am I running from a slow moving volcanic stream of lava? George Romero zombies? Or a riot?
I've lived in three places that have had fires. One was serious enough the building was totaled. The place I'm living in now was subject to a flood that ALMOST required evacuation. I now keep most of the stuff I'd need for a day or two in my messenger bag, minus a change of clothes and any serious quantity of food. I'm not paranoid enough for a weapon or whatever, but I'm covered in case I'm stuck.

Could be useful. Usually, if there's a fire alarm, I just grab my bag, toss in my kindle and some fresh clothes and I'm good to go in case this place burns down too.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I do indeed. Has 2/3 days of food, one day of water, sleeping bag, .22 rifle, ammo, spade, axe, cooking/eating gear. Sponge, knives/whetstone, spare change of clothes, extra underwear/socks. I need to repack it soon, I have a light-weight tent and some water purification tablets I want to add, I also want to cut some weight if I can. Until then I have my extra stuff in a military duffle/backpack right next to it, including the tent, extra ammo, and some more water.

Forgot backpack, basic medkit, a flashlight, and a battery lantern.

Oct 2, 2012
I don't have one but I have the materials stored in my room ready to be put into a bag if I were to need one.

I don't have much but here it goes:
Hatchet
Zippo Lighter
2 cans lighter fluid.
One metal canteen (don't remember what metal its made of)
A small knife (3 - 4 inch blade I think)
Bandages, medical tape, various other immediate first aid treatment items (haven't taken stock recently and I'm lazy)
Water purification tablets (chlorine based I think)
Flashlight (batteries of all types)
And some canned food of course.

Some other things I should probably pick up but I don't have much need to.

And I don't think its stupid or crazy to have such a thing. Even if it is unlikely a disaster could hit at any moment and being even somewhat prepared would leave you better off than being completely blindsided and super fucked.

Edit: Any experts out there wanna give me advice about what else I should add or if I should perhaps get rid of any of the above?

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I carry my rattan batons, a couple bottles of water(always have a couple kicking around in my room, all near a backpack, my lighters, I have like 2-3 different torch/bic/zippos in pretty much any coat jacket, bag or pants I have on/nearby. my phone, my wallet, my smokes, lighters water, beef jerky(always have a bag kickin around in my room, I've survived off a large bag for 3-4 days before, so I'm good there), yeah, pretty much I don't even need a bag for my shit, I can survive pretty well in my super awesome warm/cool waterproof coat, with my supplies, and yeah I have a utility knife that I can use for a large variety of purposes, but honestly I'd rather break bones and mangle faces with my sticks than with a knife, I'm more comfortable with them, and I can cause serious harm as well as nonlethal tangles and takedowns with them if need be, also they're light and strong, and I can use them for a variety of things, including a splint if I needed one, so yeah, good things to have.

I know I'm not the "ultimate survivor guy" or anything, but seriously, I've been homeless, I've survived in situations where I had no food, and had to scrounge, and I have friends nearby with whome I have set plans in case of emergency to meet up at a location nearby but out of the way, in case of shit going down and not being able to directly contact or get to the house or whatever of the other people...

And in either case, I don't fear death, life and death are but the same thing, life is just the process of dying, death as we know it is just the last gasp of a dying body, if you fear death, and fear the eventuality of it, you lose sight of what is really important in life(that slow, sometimes not so slow for some of us, process of dying) and that is to make the most of the time we have with the people that matter to us, because truly, nothing and nobody really matters in the grand scheme of things, we're like tiny parasites on a dust mite floating in a stream of light in a big EMPTY VOID.

Still, my point of view may come from staring death in the face a few too many times, and surviving all of it, I don't fear it, though I don't rush to meet it.

As such maybe I don't get people's over-preparedness, and obsession with having to be ready for the world to end around them and somehow have them survive, after all, if everyone you care about dies horrible in said disaster, and you are the only one prepared enough to survive, it's gonna feel a lot worse for you than that slim off-chance that you might die.
I have enough shit to start to deal with most disasters that won't immediately kill me, but in reality, it doesn't really matter if we live or die, so I just kinda do what I can with what I have, and try not to obsess about it too much, cuz really, it's not that scary.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
dmase said:

I've lived in three places that have had fires. One was serious enough the building was totaled. The place I'm living in now was subject to a flood that ALMOST required evacuation. I now keep most of the stuff I'd need for a day or two in my messenger bag, minus a change of clothes and any serious quantity of food. I'm not paranoid enough for a weapon or whatever, but I'm covered in case I'm stuck.

Could be useful. Usually, if there's a fire alarm, I just grab my bag, toss in my kindle and some fresh clothes and I'm good to go in case this place burns down too.
Where I live there isn't much chance of any of those things. Fires are usually contained here, though possible for my apartment building but I don't see myself needing to survive for even 30 minutes without a cop or fireman there. Flooding also not a concern here not since they built a flood wall almost 20 years ago. Maybe power going out but at that point I could live on the can food I have around my apartment if I had to but living in the capital of virginia I don't see the power staying out for long. So as of now I'd say I couldn't foresee a scenario where one was needed.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I have my mobile, laptop, chargers and cables, small bottle of Jack, also clothes for weekend. Yes this is my overnight party bag. :D