BUG OUT BAGS

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Shock and Awe said:

Currently missing: Firestarter, canteen, bag(herp derp), and a one man tent.
Must be hell trying to fit that AK in your bag. How long does it take you to organize the inventory screen[footnote][sub] Horrible RPG grid-inventory reference, I apologize...[/sub][/footnote]

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
Shock and Awe said:
Nice! Is that a small bottle of iodine and a camp towel I spy there?
Yes on the iodine, but thats a roll of bandage.

WanderingFool said:
Shock and Awe said:

Currently missing: Firestarter, canteen, bag(herp derp), and a one man tent.
Must be hell trying to fit that AK in your bag. How long does it take you to organize the inventory screen[footnote][sub] Horrible RPG grid-inventory reference, I apologize...[/sub][/footnote]
Oh you have no idea how many herbs I could tote if I had just taken the pistol.

Serious face: I just sling it over my shoulder.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I don't have one, I have never had one nor the need to have one and I'll doubt I ever will need it.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
legend of duty said:
While adding a few items to my own, I wondered what the escapists think about them in general.
Do you have one? Whats in it?
Do you think its a good idea to have one or do you think there stupid?
Please share your thoughts on them.
They're*

OT: I use to have one, I don't anymore.

I had spare clothes, ration packs, a can opener, those three colour grease paint tubs for camouflage, antibiotics, water purification tablets, bic lighters, mirror, knife, rope, and like 10 pairs of socks.

If I had one now it'd have a spare change of warm and cold weather clothes, work stuff (whistle and book), my tablet, my charge cable for my tablet, usb/powerpoint adapters, maybe some cash. I don't really expect an apocalypse anymore, but I may need to leave the house quickly.

I have a charge cable for my phone on my key ring, and I always have my raincoat and water bottle with me anyway.

I think it's a good idea to be prepared for things, which is why gym bags, camping boxes (with all your camping stuff: tent, stove, MBP, KFS, and sleeping gear), or over night bags are good. But I don't think may people are in a situation where they need a bug out bag.

EDIT: Based on the below post I retract the bolded statement above.
Given the huge loss of life that occurs in most natural disasters due to people trying to save stuff they "can't live without"; it makes sense to have all necessary documents (birth, death, marriage, divorce, certificates) and irreplaceable items (photo's of deceased loved ones) in a place they can easily be packed into a bug out bag which is already prepared to keep you going for a couple of days without shelter, water, power, food, or access to any of your belongings.

Zachary Amaranth said:
dmase said:
Bug out bag- a bag containing all the necessities to make it through at least 72 hours, made primarily for evacuation and not long term survival.

Now that I know what one is no I don't have one. If I had to evacuate and knew shit was going to get bad before hand I'd grab a bottle of water and a flash light. Though how would I really know shit was going to get serious? Am I running from a slow moving volcanic stream of lava? George Romero zombies? Or a riot?
I've lived in three places that have had fires. One was serious enough the building was totaled. The place I'm living in now was subject to a flood that ALMOST required evacuation. I now keep most of the stuff I'd need for a day or two in my messenger bag, minus a change of clothes and any serious quantity of food. I'm not paranoid enough for a weapon or whatever, but I'm covered in case I'm stuck.

Could be useful. Usually, if there's a fire alarm, I just grab my bag, toss in my kindle and some fresh clothes and I'm good to go in case this place burns down too.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dmase said:
So as of now I'd say I couldn't foresee a scenario where one was needed.
Honestly, I hope it stays that way. Disasters suck. However, I used to feel about the same way.

Well, except the power outages thing, but I've never needed a "survival kit" for those.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Shock and Awe said:
FizzyIzze said:
Shock and Awe said:
Nice! Is that a small bottle of iodine and a camp towel I spy there?
Yes on the iodine, but thats a roll of bandage.
Actually I was referring to the yellow patch touching the AK. In retrospect I'm guessing it's a disposable poncho.

I remember first hearing about iodine tincture also being used for water treatment on the show Man, Woman, Wild. Hopefully I'll never have to try that out firsthand. Also, I'm curious to see what type of bag you decide on getting.
Dirty Hipsters said:
Just like Dirty Hipsters I keep a bag in my car as well. I just use a standard backpack should I need to "blend in". In addition to some blades, I keep a spring-loaded punch for windows in the center console should I somehow find myself in a canal. I also keep some extra stuff in there like Datrex bars and Quikclot. Datrex bars man, they may last five years but they'll never win a taste test.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
dmase said:
Bug out bag- a bag containing all the necessities to make it through at least 72 hours, made primarily for evacuation and not long term survival.
Thanks for that. Needs to be in OP.

OT: Uhh. No. I live in the suburbs. Surrounded by houses. I would have to walk hundreds of kilometers to get to somewhere where I'd need a survival bag. It takes me 1 minute driving to get to the friend's house closest to me, 5 minutes driving for another 3 friends, 10 minutes for another 6, and the furthest drive is 25 minutes for one of my friends who lives ages away. My grandparents are a good 2 hour drive away, but by Nanna is only 10 minutes, and my godparents only 20. Something would have to go horribly, horribly wrong for me to need something like that, so I don't see the point in having one ATM. Unless someone nukes the city I'm living in, I'm not going to need it.

So, that should sum up my thoughts on them. No, I don't have one. I think it'd be stupid for me to have one, however for someone living in less safe circumstances it might be a good idea, and if I were to go out bushwalking or something I'd probably take one for just in case.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
I live in Winnipeg. There is pretty much no reason to have an emergency bag. We don't get tornadoes (no big ones, anyways, and not in the city proper), we don't get hurricanes (smack-dab middle of the continent, more or less), earthquakes are at worst a minor tremor when we get the edge of one happening somewhere else, we're safe from tidal waves, no volcanoes here, and we register so low on the radar I doubt we'd ever be targeted for terrorism.

We actually joked in 2012 that the apocalypse would rampage across Canada, and as it crossed it would around Winnipeg. We made this same joke about the reaper invasion.

And yet we regularly make murder capital of Canada go figure.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
No. If there's an emergency, I grab my PS3, my pomeranian, my spitz, my wallet, and I leg it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
SL33TBL1ND said:
You Americans are fucking paranoid nut-bags. Seriously. What even.
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires, and most of the US is prone to various kinds of natural disasters, including hurricanes, floods, tornado, fires, etc.

Nothing really paranoid about having some stuff prepared in the event that you need to abandon your house for a while.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
You Americans are fucking paranoid nut-bags. Seriously. What even.
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires, and most of the US is prone to various kinds of natural disasters, including hurricanes, floods, tornado, fires, etc.

Nothing really paranoid about having some stuff prepared in the event that you need to abandon your house for a while.
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires, and most of the US is prone to various kinds of natural disasters,
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires,
wildfires
Dude, I live in Australia. That's like one of the defining features of our country.

But seriously, I'll pay the others. It's just that something about the term bug out bag makes me think of crazy middle-aged white men with assault rifles.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
I prefer the term "go bag" but the concept is the same. Something all those who've posted so far seem to be missing is a serious dust mask and eye protection, invest.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Honestly the term bug out bag really makes people think of crazy survivalists types. A few of the posts here do nothing to disprove that. Seriously who in their right mind considers a pistol as a must have item during a natural disaster.

I don't have a bug out bag but as a responsible Kiwi I do have have a rotating store of caned food. Some jerry cans of water and a well stocked first aid kit. As well as warm blankets sleeping bags and a camp stove, candles etc. Oh an plenty of kibble for my cute little kitty :)

Enough to provide a weeks worth of food and water for my house hold and some left over in case anyone else needs help (can be stretched to two weeks if need be). you don?t necessary need a stash of food just always have enough for just over a week and use the oldest stuff first. Canned food can get kinda nasty if left for too long.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Do you think that gaming makes us more likely to have a 'full inventory' as it were. I kind of love that gamers do this sort of thing.

'Go across the zombie infested mansion to find the room with the lighter? NO SIR! I have one in my pocket!'

It's like we are slowly learning from experience from things that aren't even happening to us. Which is kind of cool.

OT: I have a flashlight and batteries in my room to make sure i can get around the rest of the house in a pinch.

I live in the North of England so it's not exactly a hub of dangerous situations. Unless one fears a sudden influx of zombie sheep.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I don't have one nor have I ever thought of putting one together, I live in an Australian city and the risk of natural disasters and the like is pretty low so there isn't really the necessity for one.

I do however have a bunch of stuff in my room I could grab in an emergency: a tomahawk, a folding knife with a 4 inch blade, a 13 inch combat knife and a walking stick made of high grade polypropylene which I could probably tie a knife on the end to make a spear. I'm pretty set for when the zombies come for me, which they will. I'm not paranoid. I also have protective eyewear, a couple of dust masks and protective gloves, note to self: invest in a gas mask.

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
I live in a New England suburb, well above sea level and away from any large bodies of water.
I'm niched up against a large wooded area on the lee side of a nice hill and there is a railway just a little ways into the wood that would serve as a nice fire break.
I don't need a bugout bag.
I got everything I need here, 6800 watt generator, plenty of propane for it and the grill, and nonperishable food out the wazoo.
I am lacking firearms however, the swords are handy, my tools invaluable but I am definitely in the process to get licensed for concealed carry and get me some guns an ammo.

I do not underestimate mah nature though, my suv does have a minimal oh shit we out stash.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
RevRaptor said:
Seriously who in their right mind considers a pistol as a must have item during a natural disaster.
Ask the citizens of New Orleans when the looters and thieves came out. Or any place where people lose their minds after a man made or natural disaster and take whatever they want from others. It doesn't do any good to be prepared if someone else robs you of your supplies. I learned many lessons in the military watching human nature on display when I was deployed to disasters relief or UN missions. I was robbed at a ATM 2 blocks from my house why do you think a disaster would improve peoples behavior?

I have an emergency bag that I keep at home and one in both my cars. The one for home has important documents and items that my family would need in case we lost out home in a natural disaster as well as food, water, medical supplies, knives both pocket and a machete, change of clothes for all 3 of us. A .45 pistol with 5 magazines, a .22 competition pistol for shooting small game and the .22 is the most common caliber round of ammunition with 5 magazines and a box of ammo. My wife is a good shot so she can have the .22 if necessary for personal protection. I have ponchos and a tent big enough for all 3 of us. Parachute cord (1000 ft.) mirror, flares, fire starter kit, matches and lighters, emergency blankets, bug repellant, hats for all 3, sun screen. Water purifier tablets, emergency water packets from the military that last for years, MRE's and freeze dried type food for 3 for at least 3 days. Feminine products for the wife and enough medicine for all 3 of us. A few toys and a stuffed animal or 2 for our 6 year old. These are all in a big backpack if I have to lug it by myself but I have 2 small backpacks inside that I can divvy up the supplies to my wife and son if needed and they can carry the supplies for them specifically. I also have a LBE that I can load with the essential stuff if I need to go scouting about without them. If its a big enough emergency I would also bring along my shotgun and or AR-15 if I have enough spare space and weight as well as ammo for each.

In the cars is several days worth of food and water, dry clothes, blankets and a change of clothes. Where I live we have earthquakes, wild fires and blizzards all within a few hours of each other. getting stranded somewhere on a road trip has happened and we needed to use some of our supplies before help arrived. Our home also has enough food and water that we can exist for 2 weeks without needing to go out.

Forgot the personal kit and car and home all have several flashlights with extra batteries as well as a small hand crank flashlight and a hand crank radio for emergency broadcasts.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I don't have one ready to go at any time on the provision that it would take me maybe 20 minutes maax to get absolutely everything I need:

Water, basica medical supplies, some dried food, sterilisation tablets, food knife, hunting knife, axe, gun, bullets.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I am currently on 10 days notice to move for a contingency operation anywhere in the world with work, and because of that I have my bag already packed to last me for a 6 month deployment! :p

The RAF will provide food (rat packs) and shelter, although I do have a bivvy sheet (essentially a waterproof sheet you attach between 2 trees as a makeshift tent) and a sleeping bag with bivvy bag (waterproof lining you put over the sleeping bag for sleeping outside) along with a roll mat for insulation, and I would stick some packets of nuts (Preferably with chocy raisins in too!) closer a time of emergency.

I also keep my uniform, including hot and cold weather gear, my knife and multitool, my helmet and respirator, Goggles/Ballistic sunglasses, some notes on SAM systems and processes for work, a survival tin (Matches, small packets of water, a compass, water purification tablets... proper emergency stuff), first aid kit, deployable wash kit with razors, wet wipes, toothpaste and toothbrush, some soap and a flanel.

I also keep my personal docs for deploying which include my passport, my clearances, I would have a printout of my in date fitness test, first aid test, rifle/pistol test, respirator drills test and that I have completed my survival skills tests which we do annually. I would also have my driving licence, military driving licence, and any other forms needed, which would probably be issued at that time. I also have a copy of my will.

Finally I would pack my Kindle, my tablet and my DS... Although they would probably have to go in my '4th line bag' which wouldn't come with us straight away, and would be shipped out when convenient for the RAF (ie when the space isn't needed for mission critical equipment.) The bag would also have civilian clothes for evenings, some pics of family and friends, comfort food and sweets (Haribo, or morale-ibo as we call it!) and some non electronic entertainment (just in case) like cards and games, and maybe a book.

Oh... and I live on a hill in England... I am not worried about natural disasters! :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This is the first time I've heard of "Bug out bags".

Thanks to dmase explaining what it is, the only two I can think of at the moment are my swiss army knife (eventhought parts of it are worn down like the scissor) and a bottle of water.