Build a House, Raise a Family in New Skyrim DLC Hearthfire

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Meh, at least the kids in Skyrim aren't as bad as the kids in The Old Republic (seriously, those kids look damned freaky, disturbing really)

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
Oh, I can't wait for the new Sims DLC. Wait, it's for Skyrim? Seriously, who ever spent more than one minute in their house?

Let me predict what it will be like:
-There is no real "building" or house placement. It's just an upgrade system similar to ones in Oblivion and Fallout. Only, this time it adds rooms rather than just shelves. Everything is premade.
-Only real new "content" the mod adds is new textures and models.
Remember when Todd told that "No stupid horse armor this time, folks!" and that the expansions and DLC would be more "closer to Oblivion's Shivering Isles level". Yeah, me too.

Not to even mention, simple mods already achieve this [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18480]... And both the mod and the DLC are inferior to Creation Kit, which too is free and can make any kind of house you want, without limitations. CK isn't even hard to use.
Oh, adoption? Takes less than 5 minutes to mod. And who the hell would want those annoying little fuckers hanging around anyway?

But, I'm sure there are plenty of "gamers" who will buy this...
In short "CONSOLES GET FUCKED IN THE ASS AGAIN, HAHAHAHHAHA!"

How about a DLC that fixes the horrible combat system Todd?

Apr 28, 2008
Neat. I'm on the PC so I have mods for this, but it's great to see console players will be able to make houses of their o-

Wait, Josh? Like, same Josh from Shamus' site? Sweet. Also, where's today's episode of Spoiler Warning!

Just makin' you feel at home :p

Anyway, this DLC actually looks pretty neat. I have PC version, so mods, so I may pass this up. But for $5? This looks pretty good.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
Seriously what the hell?! I was fine not buying Skyrim, then I can be a flying vampire. That was awesome but I still wasn't sold, now it does what the Fable games are failing at. I can't explain why but I really dig the whole wife and kids and home shtick in an adventuring game. But... I still can't play the game for one very shallow reason that people will hate me for... I am terrified of the giant spiders in this game. Playing on a mate's PS3 and a giant spider comes at me in first person, shit even if third person and it just horrifies me. Don't no one be posting no pics of spiders now, but it actually stops me from playing Skyrim. I can't just do my Dragon Age tactic of just look away while auto attack takes care of it, plus its easy to guess in Dragon age where a spider will be. I figured "Oh, I'll just avoid caves and stuff."

An open field. An open field and I got a massive one, not even the little baby spiders the big fuck off car sized ones. Bastards. I'm gonna go watch a Familiar of Zero and MLP marathon to release some endorphins, with maybe a little Monty Python.
If you got a PC, then there's a mod that replaces all spiders with bears. Except in the loading screens.

OT: Yes but can we adopt baby giants and mammoths so one day I can wield an army of doom?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Lol, raise your own Little Lamplighter! One of these days I might just black out and wake up to find that I've murdered Todd Howard.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
Solo-Wing said:
Caramel Frappe said:
- Only 400 microsoft points ($4 dollars) for a nice feature
Actually $5 For americans.
They get 80 points for $1

And Canadians get Cheated and only get 70 Points for $1 So it, and everything else on XBLA, is more expensive.
Actually it is debatable if Canadians get cheated. Our dollar may be about the same right now but Canadians on average make more money than Americans.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Which is all well and good, but only really worth getting for new players or people still in the middle of a playthrough.

As somebody who has pretty much done everything, it's not really worth buying because it's not enough to get back into the game for.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?????????

Sorry for the language, but people are actually interested in this????????

If you want kids or a wife, why not get up from your fucking computer and find one, or do the people who can't find a girl buy these things?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Comping to PC, 2015

I joke and kid... I'm sure we have enough Mods to make up for it anyway.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"Why would you want children," they ask?

Um, invincible, dragon-breath-absorbing companion?

Anyway, sounds interesting to me. Yes, I know there are mods available to PC gamers, but a lot of modders don't really seem to have issues like game balance in mind. Sometimes there's something to be said for a unified vision under a single hand.

(Not always. @#$%ing Pitt...)

Still, in all honesty I'd rather have an addition to shore up some of the bugs and plot holes (those stupid gems you can't get rid of without joining the thieves' guild, the conspicious empty space where there's supposed to be a way to get Thorald out of the Thalamor prison without violence, etc. etc.)

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Solo-Wing said:
Caramel Frappe said:

And Canadians get Cheated and only get 70 Points for $1 So it, and everything else on XBLA, is more expensive.
Ah, thanks for correcting me. Now whenever I purchase things off Xbox Live, I will know how much money to save up and do some adding/subtracting (no sarcasm). As for Canada.. why would they do that to them? Does seem unfair in all honesty.
I don't know. But it pisses me off when a $20 card only gives me 1400. I want the full 1600 so i can buy Dawnguard or Minecraft for the Xbox.

But nope they cost 1600 Points. Which means if I want them I gotta buy a $40 card.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I never got the hatred for kids in Beth games. Unless it gets explicitly stated that everyone in Nirn is born an adult and that childhood is a concept that makes no sense to the locals then yeah - children are kinda needed for immersion's sake.

If your only argument is "CHILDREN ARE ANNOYING, HUUUUUUR!", then I pity you and I'd like to point out that you can ignore them. If what's bothering you is the fact that every other kid in Skyrim is an ass, then guess what? Kids tend not to be very considerate types.

Remember your own childhood? Betcha five bucks you weren't quite the altruistic person, back then.

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
In before "PC has a Mod for this, free"

Let me state a few things guys:
  • - It's optional to purchase
    - This is for console gamers
    - Bethesda worked on this before that free mod came out for making your own home

Apart from those facts, I look forward to this. It's going to be better then any other house I can get in all of Skyrim and not to mention how awesome it'll be having the adoption system intact .. though, a lot of the kids in Skyrim are quite awful so am unsure overall.
I assume it'll be primarily the ones from the orphanage in... the most southesterly city.
Also as long as you don't have to adopt any of the brats from whiterun it'll be fine.

Dedtoo

Aug 28, 2009
Norway
The only question I have is this: Are there any little Argonians up for adoption anywhere? Would feel odd to have a kid that is so different from both adoptive parents.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
SlamDunc said:
Solo-Wing said:
Caramel Frappe said:

Actually it is debatable if Canadians get cheated. Our dollar may be about the same right now but Canadians on average make more money than Americans.
No we get cheated pretty bad.
Most XBLA titles are 1600 Points. $20 exactly for americans. But here in Canada $20 cards only give 1400. Meaning if we want the 1600 Point stuff we gotta buy a $40 card. Which is only 2800.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
SlamDunc said:
Solo-Wing said:
Caramel Frappe said:

20% of my income goes to taxes. We may earn more, but more of it is taken away. Yay for misconceptions. A few hundred dollars of every paycheque I get goes to taxes.

... Anyway, I may consider getting this even if I already have the similar mods. Looks pretty nice.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
Solo-Wing said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Solo-Wing said:
Caramel Frappe said:

Ah, thanks for correcting me. Now whenever I purchase things off Xbox Live, I will know how much money to save up and do some adding/subtracting (no sarcasm). As for Canada.. why would they do that to them? Does seem unfair in all honesty.
I don't know. But it pisses me off when a $20 card only gives me 1400. I want the full 1600 so i can buy Dawnguard or Minecraft for the Xbox.

But nope they cost 1600 Points. Which means if I want them I gotta buy a $40 card.
They sell 1600 cards at EB Games I believe. Also 400 point cards. And depending where you live or if you have friends in the US you could get them to buy the cards and just pay them back with Steam games or something. I am pretty sure the American cards work here.