Build a pokemon team

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
DarkRyter said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Need a bit of elemental damage in there for fighting ghosts, and I guess my favourite element is just lightning. I could have said someone like Zapdos or something, but I think those birds are overrated.
If you want an electric type special attacker, you go with Jolteon. Raichu's garbage. Even pikachu has superior attacking stats if it has a light ball.

And for countering ghost types, an electric type attacker isn't especially effective. Something with an actual type advantage like a dark type or a steel type would help.
Aren't they Second gen types? I was going only first gen. Also I simply like Raichu more than any other Electric type, in my mind it's pretty badass.

Lastly, what's a light ball?

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
DarkRyter said:
FilipJPhry said:
A Sandstorm team.

1. Dugtrio @ Life Orb w/Sand Force (Earthquake, Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, Substitute)
2. Tyranitar @ Leftovers w/Sandstream (Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Crunch, Ice Punch)
3. Cacturne @ Life Orb w/ Sand Veil (Swords Dance, Seed Bomb, Sucker Punch, Dark Pulse)
4. Garchomp(what a surprise!) @ Leftovers w/ Sand Veil (Swords Dance, Earthquake, Outrage, Roar)
5. Excadrill @ Expert Belt w/Sand Force (Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Horn Drill)

Legendary: Terrakion @ Leftovers w/Justified (Sacred Sword, Stone Edge, Quick Attack, Taunt)
This isn't even fair to the other guys.
Hey, I just decided why not use a powerful team? If you want to know about a team of my favorites from each Gen, here:

1. Pinsir @ Choice Band w/ Mold Breaker (X-Scissor, Rock Slide, Close Combat, Earthquake)
2. Feraligatr @ Life Orb w/ Torrent (Superpower, Waterfall, Swords Dance, Ice Punch)
3. Aggron @ Leftovers w/Rock Head (Head Smash, Metal Burst, Rock Polish, Roar)
4. Ambipom @ Life Orb w/Technician (Fake Out, U-Turn, Taunt, Return)
5. Darmanitan @ Life Orb w/Sheer Force (Flare Blitz, U-Turn, Earthquake, Hammer Arm)

Legendary: Jirachi(yes, Jirachi is one of my favorite legendaries) @ Leftovers w/Serene Grace (Iron Head, U-Turn, Light Screen, Wish)

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
1. Aerodactyl OR Charizard (can't make up my mind)
2. Typhlosion (If Aerodactyl) OR Scizor (if Charizard)
3. Aggron
4. Garchomp
5. Hydreigon (Who would've guessed?)
6. Speed Deoxys

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
1.Gengar
2.Skarmory
3.Blaziken
4.Garchomp
5.Carracosta
6.Dialga
Just cause.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
DarkRyter said:
TimeLord said:
DarkRyter said:
TimeLord said:
DarkRyter said:
Also, use of Double Team is banned in any reputable Pokemon community.
Why? Because it makes you harder to hit? Do they also ban Sand-Attack?
When you use double team, the game becomes a crapshoot. Actual strategy and gameplay gets thrown out the window, and the game becomes one guy spamming an attack hoping to connect, while the other guy spams double team hoping he doesn't connect.

Sand Attack isn't banned as the pokemon with lowered accuracy could just be switched out and switched back in.
But doesn't it just teach players to pack someone with an auto-hit move like Shockwave?
Then the entire game would just be people using double team, and people using swift variants.

It just ruins varied or interesting gameplay.
im sorry but i gotta side with time lord on this the game has a perfectly sound way of dealing with double team and while haveing someone who has a full team with double team could be anoying that tactic would die out very fast as its an easily countered move.

OT: now i havent play b/w yet so no new gen for me but

hitmonchan
Tyranitar
Sceptile
Empoleon
blazikin
acrcius(?) the dam god pokemon and yes i have him ligit.
hitmonchan because if you max his stats he can kill almost anything,Tyranitar because hes a beast, Sceptile because hes the fastest pokemon ive ever seen, empoleon because hes probibly the best water combo pokemon in the game, Blazikin because i need a fire type and i like that one:), and finally arcius(?) because with an ice plate hes dam near impossible to kill as even fire attacks do very little damage to him and lets face it ice is effective on everything.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
1) Kanto - Arcanine
2) Johto - Lanturn (confusion, freeze, paralysis, poison and burn capabilities, oh yeah)
3) Hoenn - Absol
4) Sinnoh - Luxray
5) Unova - Mienshao (with Drain Punch and Regenerator of course)
6) Legendary - Reshiram

limberer

Dec 6, 2010
1. Gengar
2. Tyranitar
3. Wailord
4. Infernape
5. Zebstrika

And for my Legendary

6. Raquaza

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
1. Arcanine (with endure and reversal combo)
2. Porygon2 (with eviolite)
3. Milotic (with Hydro pump and recover/hypnosis)
4. Mamoswine (Ice shard)
5. Conkeldurr (Mach punch)
6. Jirachi (Cosmic power, rest/wish)

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
-Blastoise
-Wobbuffet
-Wailord
-Piplup
-Golurk
-Rayquaza

I don't even know why. I pretty much just named my favourites, rather than the best.

YAY!

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Shanicus said:
I dunno about that... considering the most common strategies are either 'Rain dance + Thunder' or 'race to see who can set up Swords Dance first', there isn't a whole mess of variety in competitive play anyway.
I would actually love to face someone who just uses double team - give me something that isn't countered by changing the weather or using roar.
No one uses rain dance or swords dance sweeping anymore. This isn't 2009.

ecoho said:
im sorry but i gotta side with time lord on this the game has a perfectly sound way of dealing with double team and while haveing someone who has a full team with double team could be anoying that tactic would die out very fast as its an easily countered move.
Repeated testing has shown that Evasion based strategies are broken. It's supposed counters simply aren't reliable enough to rely on.

One common criticism of the Evasion Clause is the fact that starting with the 3rd generation (or technically the 2nd), there was a proliferation of ways to handle Evasion boosts. Foresight, Odor Sleuth, and Miracle Eye all reset the target's Evasion boosts. Swift, Faint Attack, Vital Throw, Shock Wave, Magical Leaf, Shadow Punch, Aerial Ace, Magnet Bomb, Aura Sphere, and Clear Smog are all unable to miss. Thunder, Hurricane, and Blizzard become unable to miss under certain conditions (rain for Thunder and Hurricane, hail for Blizzard). The moves Chip Away and Sacred Sword and the Ability Unaware all ignore the opponent's stat changes, including Evasion. Stomp and Steamroller ignore Evasion boosts granted through Minimize, and also have doubled power against a Pokémon that has used Minimize. Finally, Evasion boosts can be erased through Haze, Clear Smog, or any form of psuedohazing, just like any other stat changes. However, all of these methods have problems that prevent them from seeing frequent use in competitive battles. Foresight, Odor Sleuth, and Miracle Eye are all completely useless except for when they can reset Evasion boosts or override a type immunity; thus, the moveslot they take up is almost always better off being filled with something else. All always-hit attacks except for Vital Throw and Aura Sphere have a base power of 60, which is not good enough to be useful for attacking purposes in competitive battles. Vital Throw's base power of 70 is barely better, and its -1 Speed priority further discourages its use. Aura Sphere is a very good attack, being a more reliable alternative to Focus Blast, but the list of Pokémon capable of learning Aura Sphere is extremely small. Thunder, Hurricane, and Blizzard only have the always-hit property in the proper weather conditions; under normal weather, they are all somewhat unreliable (assuming a lack of Accuracy/Evasion modification), and the former two become even more unreliable in sunny weather or sandstorms (both of which are extremely common in OU.) Chip Away and Sacred Sword are generally not used because the Pokémon that can learn them have alternatives which are almost always superior; Unaware is more common, but suffers from pitiful distribution (Quagsire is the only half-decent Pokémon with access to it.) Stomp and Steamroller have a base power of 65 under normal conditions, and are affected normally by Double Team, which has much greater distribution than Minimize. Finally, Haze and Clear Smog have poor distribution, and most psuedo-hazing moves become unreliable against an Evasion-boosting opponent. All of this means that the so-called counters to Evasion boosting have very little usage outside of countering Evasion boosting, and so the metagame is better served by outright banning the use of Double Team and Minimize.
To allow evasion is to allow the game to be decided by a random number generator, and that's now good gameplay.

limberer

Dec 6, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
DarkRyter said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Need a bit of elemental damage in there for fighting ghosts, and I guess my favourite element is just lightning. I could have said someone like Zapdos or something, but I think those birds are overrated.
If you want an electric type special attacker, you go with Jolteon. Raichu's garbage. Even pikachu has superior attacking stats if it has a light ball.

And for countering ghost types, an electric type attacker isn't especially effective. Something with an actual type advantage like a dark type or a steel type would help.
Aren't they Second gen types? I was going only first gen. Also I simply like Raichu more than any other Electric type, in my mind it's pretty badass.

Lastly, what's a light ball?
Light ball : When this item is held by a Pikachu, the holder's Attack & Special Attack is doubled.

http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/lightball.shtml

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
My list:

Kanto: Jolteon

Johto: Feraligatr

Hoenn: Aggron

Sinnoh: Garchomp

Unova: Leavanny

Legendary: Moltres

Can you tell I like dragons/reptiles?

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
My team would be:

1.) Charizard (Flamethrower - Fly - Fire Blast - Slash)
[http://media.photobucket.com/image/charizard/j0-dady/charizard.jpg?o=120]

2.) Feraligatr (Ice Beam - Surf - Bite - Slash)
[http://media.photobucket.com/image/feraligatr/nessamoore/Pokemon/feraligatr.png?o=24]

3.) Gardevor (Psychic - Calm Mind - Shock Wave - Shadow Ball)
[http://photobucket.com/images/gardevour]

4.) Lucario (Flash Cannon - Aura Sphere - Earthquake - Dragon Pulse)
[http://photobucket.com/images/lucario]

5.) Galvantula (Thunderbolt - Electro Web - Bug Buzz - Energy Ball)
[http://photobucket.com/images/galvantula]

L.) Shaymin (Seed Flare - Substitute - Synthesis - Energy Ball)
[http://photobucket.com/images/shaymin]

LongDanzi

Nov 15, 2011
Gangar- because he is a badass

Typhlosion- because he is also a badass

Hitmonlee- hi jump kick

Metagross- do I really need to explain why?

Absol- dark and he can also make up for missing types like Ele, ice, ect (he can learn all fangs like thunder fang)

Yanmega- Speed

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Shanicus said:
True, they aren't as common as they were in 2009 (when Swift Swim + Rain Dance wasn't banned)
"Swift Swim + Rain Dance" aren't banned.

Shanicus said:
a Whimsicott with Prankster, Taunt and stun spore
You don't really have to specify Prankster. No one in their right mind would use anything else. And Whimsicott was waaaay overhyped. It's little more than a poor man's Jellicent.

Shanicus said:
a sandstorm-boosted Excadrill is a death sentence for everything outside Ubers.
Excadrill IS banned.

Shanicus said:
I would love to enter a tournament where people used moves outside the standard sets - make things harder to counter and harder to predict, adding to the challenge and fun of the fights.
That happens all the time. It's called a constantly evolving metagame. Some of the most iconic sets came completely out of left field. Like special T-tar. Or SubT-wave Jirachi + LeadChamp combo (that's one of my personal faves). And Mew's legal now. I'm sure all sorts of crazy shit happens with that thing.