Bungie Says Halo: Reach Will Not Use Natal

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bungie Says Halo: Reach Will Not Use Natal

Bungie has clarified that the latest installment in the Halo series will not be using Microsoft's upcoming motion controller.

Rumors that Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968624&sr=1-1] would use Microsoft's new motion controller, Project Natal, have been circulating for months [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92752-Halo-Reach-Could-Use-Natal], following comments made by Bungie president Harold Ryan to the New York Times.

But this week, Bungie has clarified its position and made it clear that Reach will not be using motion controls: "Halo: Reach is NOT a Natal title and is being developed expressly with the traditional Xbox 360 controller in mind," said a spokesperson for the developer.

With Reach tipped as the biggest game of 2010 by a number of industry figures, it makes sense that it would stick with existing hardware, rather than risking a new control scheme, but it does beg the question, aside from Fable 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970462&sr=1-2] what games will use Natal?

Source: IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1065361p1.html]

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Well, thank God for that.

I didn't actually here the rumours, but if it had I would have been forced to not buy it.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Oh thank god. Halo has been on a downslope and since Natal hasn't really been done(or at least done properly) before, it will almost guarunteed to be glitchy, taking away from the game that might save the franchise for me.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Slightly disappointing. As much as I don't care for the motion sensing trend in gaming that going on right now, I believe bungie could have pulled it off.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
Slightly disappointing. As much as I don't care for the motion sensing trend in gaming that going on right now, I believe bungie could have pulled it off.
He said, "with controller in mind."

He never denied that Natal would be a secondary control option.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Not a very promising sign when MS has to reassure fans or advertize that their bandwagon gimmick will NOT be used in a game.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm actually kind of disappointed by this. As a Halo fanboy I'm really looking forward to seeing Reach, and as an advocate of motion control I'm also looking forward to Natal. I was hoping for a while that Reach would be developed for use with the standard controller, but still have the option of using Natal as another control scheme. Apparently not. It makes me wonder though, just how will Natal be used with regards to mainstream and hardcore gaming, aside from Fable 3, if Microsoft really do want to avoid the 'casual' tag that has (unfairly) plagued Nintendo?

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
Pimppeter2 said:
Slightly disappointing. As much as I don't care for the motion sensing trend in gaming that going on right now, I believe Bungie could have pulled it off.
I concur with this, as well as
tmujir955 said:

Perhaps they're just being sneaky about Natal integration. I think if any game is going to be a flagship for Natal, I want it to be Halo: Reach - certainly not Fable III. Dear God, no.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Aww thats a shame ain't it I was really hoping to wiggle my body around to kill me some covenant. Oh the news is unbearable, I can't go on without natal

/sarcasm

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Spleenbag said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Slightly disappointing. As much as I don't care for the motion sensing trend in gaming that going on right now, I believe Bungie could have pulled it off.
I concur with this, as well as
tmujir955 said:

Perhaps they're just being sneaky about Natal integration. I think if any game is going to be a flagship for Natal, I want it to be Halo: Reach - certainly not Fable III. Dear God, no.
I definitely think they are.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/31/halo-reach-not-a-natal-title-being-made-with-a-controller-in/

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
...but it does beg the question, aside from Fable 3 what games will use Natal?
Guitar Hero 6, which will maximize how foolish you'll look to your friends while trying to pass Stairway to Heaven.

Tich

Aug 13, 2008
I'm happy it's not using Natal, Halo was great with it's current control scheme. This year, wether or not a game uses Natal can completely change the outcome of me being a game, as in, Add Natal, I'm not buying it. And I don't care how good you made it.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Nurb said:
Not a very promising sign when MS has to reassure fans or advertize that their bandwagon gimmick will NOT be used in a game.
That's funny. I was thinking this same thing. I was sure Microsoft was gonna splatter NATAL juice all over their new titles.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
G1eet said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Guitar Hero 6, which will maximize how foolish you'll look to your friends while trying to pass Stairway to Heaven.
But its like playing an Air-Guitar!

OT: I could see a Natal Halo... but I'd rather have a controller-based game.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Nouw said:
G1eet said:
Logan Westbrook said:
But its like playing an Air-Guitar!

OT: I could see a Natal Halo... but I'd rather have a controller-based game.
IMO (and I assume many other's opinion), air guitaring looks more appropriate when a song comes on the radio, not the TV =P