Bungie Scuttled Halo: Reach's Multiplayer Space Battles

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Space Combat sims is what I am missing lately. I love the Wing Commander days. I hope Bungie can realize this under Activision's reign.
That requires Activision to take a chance, and that just doesn't fit into their business plan.

They probably don't see much of a demand for that genre on consoles, and as we all know, only consoles matter to Activision (by far most of their games are made primarily for Xbox 360, then later ported to other systems).

These big publishers love killing niche genres. It means fewer games they have to compete with.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Korten12 said:
Mcface said:
I think he means "we will make another Halo game set in space using space combat to drain this franchise some more"
wow your late, don't you know? Bungie isn't working on Halo anymore, Reach was their last Halo game, at least for 10 years.
No, i just stopped caring about halo a while ago.

Bitter_one13

L'Amere Roi
Oct 16, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
SachielOne said:
How the heck did you forget to mention the last great space fighter combat sim, Freespace 2?
It's directly descended from X-Wing Alliance.
No really. Same team, same engine (with some tweaks).

TIE Fighter -> X-Wing -> Freespace -> Freespace 2

All great games in a dead genre.
I'm sorry, where did you read that or find that out at? I never have heard that before.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
God, I hope Reach ends up bringing back the space combat sim, it's been way too long since I've played one that wasn't a fan project.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bitter_one13 said:
Atmos Duality said:
SachielOne said:
How the heck did you forget to mention the last great space fighter combat sim, Freespace 2?

I'm sorry, where did you read that or find that out at? I never have heard that before.
I played the games myself.
The similarities are obvious, from the design of the interface, to the graphics engine, to the command shortcuts. Even the ability to summon reinforcements and re-arm your ship are handled in the same exact manner between Freespace 1 and X-Wing Alliance.

That's far too similar to be a coincidence.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Bitter_one13 said:
Atmos Duality said:
SachielOne said:

The similarities are obvious, from the design of the interface, to the graphics engine, to the command shortcuts. Even the ability to summon reinforcements and re-arm your ship are handled in the same exact manner between Freespace 1 and X-Wing Alliance.

That's not what we call "proof" here in the real world. : /

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The Bandit said:
Atmos Duality said:
Bitter_one13 said:
Atmos Duality said:
SachielOne said:

That's not what we call "proof" here in the real world. : /
Call it a curious observation then; not a fact.

But seriously. Either the games were built on the same coding skeleton, or someone was blatantly copying the other.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
i always found space battle sims boring .... you just go around shooting at other things that go around .. thats it , i mean whats the point .....

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Man, I havn't played Reach since black ops came out. The maps suck and there's not a lot of weapons.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Isn't Totally Games! still around? If so, then they are the only ones who can bring back the space sim. They perfected it in the first place! C'mon Lawrence Holland, you're our only hope!

Aug 25, 2009
I want a Star Fighter sim game. I loved the old Tie Fighter/Rebel Assault games, and I want them back.

I demand Bungie's next game be either a space sim shooter or Oni.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
sooperman said:
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
Maybe Bungie will get the rights to and work on Star Wars: Battlefront 3. ;D
That's what came to mind when I though "Halo" and "space dogfight". If they could mix the Halo FPS formula with free-flowing space combat, Bungie might might be able to pull off another hit.

I can dream :'(
Nah I think it's better in third-person. Due to my time with Battlefront 2 first-person would be too much of an adjustment. :p

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
Okysho said:
We do need a decent space combat sim. I'm not talking about the rail shooter bits like most of Star Fox, although that's still a core piece, but something more like Star Fox's "all range mode" where you have an open field and "go nuts" But the linear gameplay I'm nitpicking. There are a bunch of cool ways to make it better and if people decided to finally get off the ground and realize that there are other genres, out there, this'll take off quite well
Something like Rogue Squadron I assume
That was a amazing game

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
sooperman said:
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
That's what came to mind when I though "Halo" and "space dogfight". If they could mix the Halo FPS formula with free-flowing space combat, Bungie might might be able to pull off another hit.

Nah I think it's better in third-person. Due to my time with Battlefront 2 first-person would be too much of an adjustment. :p
In Battlefront 2 you could choose between First and Third Person. It was in the options menu.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
phoenix352 said:
i always found space battle sims boring .... you just go around shooting at other things that go around .. thats it , i mean whats the point .....
Well the same could be said of an FPS, you just go around shooting people who are shooting at you.

OT: It's a shame they cut space battles from the multiplayer, if it had interested enough people maybe some brave and awesome developer would actually consider reviving the poor space-sim genre. I want my Freespace 3 damnit.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Enkidu88 said:
phoenix352 said:
Well the same could be said of an FPS, you just go around shooting people who are shooting at you.

OT: It's a shame they cut space battles from the multiplayer, if it had interested enough people maybe some brave and awesome developer would actually consider reviving the poor space-sim genre. I want my Freespace 3 damnit.
Indeed.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
AsurasFinest said:
Okysho said:
We do need a decent space combat sim. I'm not talking about the rail shooter bits like most of Star Fox, although that's still a core piece, but something more like Star Fox's "all range mode" where you have an open field and "go nuts" But the linear gameplay I'm nitpicking. There are a bunch of cool ways to make it better and if people decided to finally get off the ground and realize that there are other genres, out there, this'll take off quite well
Something like Rogue Squadron I assume
That was a amazing game
Rogue Squadron was good, but it wasn't.... perfect... the dogfighting was a bit broken in some ways, but the way each ship handled differently was amazing and awesome. The Millennium falcon really does handle like a piece of junk!! lol

But if it was built on a similar engine with... well quite a few tweaks, then abso-fucking-lutely it'd be perfect!

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
Silver Patriot said:
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
sooperman said:
xXDeMoNiCXx said:

In Battlefront 2 you could choose between First and Third Person. It was in the options menu.
Ah. Well, I stick by what I said. XP

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
Ah.. If only. My dreams could come true. I love the space battles in Battlefront 2!