Bungie Won't Leave Halo: Reach Players in the Cold

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Lucane said:
Edit: Isn't Marathon loosey considered to be apart of the Halo Universe's past?
I think so. Now that you mention it, that makes sense. I do know that you can see the Marathon symbol all over Halo, including the box cover of Halo CE. It is also the symbol on the front of 343 Guilty Spark.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
The Halo community...

2. The smug people that obtained Recon and now consider themselves above non-recon players

3. The ratio 41:1 of Immature Idiots to Mature adults.
Thats a lot of gamers, its not limited to Halo. Starcraft, WoW, CoD, Counter strike... (I could go on) have a number of players who are elitist bastards. When you can't get by in you regular life, get out of breath walking to the fridge and can't get a date, never mind a working relationship, you have to feel superior somewhere.

Bungie must be doing something right as they have a large fan base and people held on for grim life to Halo 2. None of the halo games have really grabbed me (except for an entertaining play through in Co-op) since CE but reach looks interesting. If they let me pick a weapons load out instead of me getting smashed when I respawn because I've not researched the quickest route to the rocket launcher then I might give it a go.

But cool story bro...

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Hopeless Bastard said:
Kermi said:
oh christ
Please stop assuming everyone who finds halo aggressively mediocre simply hasn't played any of the games.

Bungie made a functional console shooter. That was pretty impressive way back when, but they made a functional console shooter with stealth auto-aim, cover modes, and regenerating health. All implemented to minimize the amount a player would have to rely on a controller to function in a game.

The specific reasoning behind stealth auto-aim is self-evident. But cover modes and regenerating health were implemented to minimize the amount of input required to survive. Admirable in theory, as console controls are extremely limited, but it translates to developing and selling a game that plays itself just enough to trick people into thinking they're making meaningful contributions to the game.

Saying these promote tactical play is dogshit. They promote sprinting from cover to cover while under fire, because you know exactly how much damage you can take and exactly how long it will take to fully regenerate.
Lovely diversion into a gameplay strawman but fails to address my point regarding Bungie's ongoing support for their games and dedication to their community.
Sounds like you've played Halo 1, or at least never attempted to play Halo 2 and 3 online. It features a well-designed, robust and extremely balanced multiplayer with ongoing playlist updates, map tweaks, and probably the best glitching/cheating detection available on the XBox Live service. With the introduction of Forge they allowed people to customise maps for private play and quite of few great map variants were added to the mutliplayer matchmaking.

They even made allowances for MLG-style play in their playlists... I personally despise the MLG-Halo mentality and style but I can't deny the appeal is there.

How you feel about the general gameplay has nothing to do with Bungie's feelings and behaviour towards their community. As I said, hate Halo and be as vocal as you like if that's what gets you through the day. But what do you gain by spewing misguided vitriol every time Halo is mentioned if it's not even on-topic?
If the Escapist ever makes a "Halo gameplay voted best of all time" newspost, I expect to see you there in full force.
But deriding Bungie's support of their game when you clearly have no direct experience in the matter is needlessly insulting not only to Bungie, but to yourself.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Stubee said:
Why do pieces of shit like FF and Zelda get a bajillion sequels and we get stuck with only 4 Halo games :( That makes me a saaaaaaad panda
Zelda and Final Fantasy have been around for so much longer. Final Fantasy is an ever continuing universe, which is why there are 9999 sequels. Zelda is full of nostalgia for those of us who grew up with it.

Halo is pretty much a straight forward shoot 'em up. I'm of the opinion that Halo should have stopped at 3, and Halo Wars isn't incredibly great since you can't play an RTS to its full extent on a console.

I'm not looking forward to Reach since Bungie are leaving. Valve said they'd still support L4D after the release of L4D2 and it's barely done. This could go veeery bad.

mageyolook

Sep 5, 2009
seeing that title and article made me happy. after the almost non-existant support for MW2 i never wanna go through that again. bungie is such a good developer with an amazing relationship with its fans, and it would break my heart to see that relationship destroyed.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Stubee said:
Why do pieces of shit like FF and Zelda get a bajillion sequels and we get stuck with only 4 Halo games :( That makes me a saaaaaaad panda
Because they're not pieces of shit, you just don't like them.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Sinister Minister said:
Stubee said:
The fact that you say Ocarina of Time is an atrocity but say Halo is better makes your opinion invalid.
It makes his opinion his opinion, not invalid or less right.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Stubee said:
chstens said:
Sinister Minister said:
Stubee said:
The fact that you say Ocarina of Time is an atrocity but say Halo is better makes your opinion invalid.
It makes his opinion his opinion, not invalid or less right.

Probably should of made a better point of it being my opinion huh? Didnt want to occur the wrath of the fanboys. Let me re iterate

I consider the Zelda franchise and the final fantasy franchise useless and boring with no place in my life. My point was that these very successful franchises (like Halo) have been milked to the point where the cow is now inside out yet they still sell like hotcakes. It really infuriates me when people say they are milking Halo when compared to these or many other franchises it is tiny.

Oh and yes i would take Halo Reach over OOT or FF7 any day because im not a nostalgic cretin.
I am actually defending you in this case, Stubee. You have every right to prefer Reach over Zelda or Final Fantasy. (Oh, and a sidenote, it's should have, or should've, not of)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Infernal_Me said:
I wonder how they will handle new map packs? if Bungie isnt working on it then who?
They are I think. It says it will be in the Community.

Good to hear Halo Reach isn't left for dead by the Creators.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Well Bungie has always been one of the best after releasing a new game in supporting it and the community. I never thought just because it's their last in the Halo franchise they'd just abandon it so they didn't need to tell me. They've been talking forever in Vidocs and podcasts how they're trying to make it the best one yet and that always means fantastic support post-launch.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
Little Duck said:
I was under the impression that master chief at least would come back in another game.
MC was there on reach he had to destroy a ship captured by the cov where all his team but him died.