Bungie's Words of Destiny

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I lost interest as soon as they said constant internet connection, and then completely stopped paying attention when it was revealed it is not for the PC at all. Multiplayer, bleh.

GodofTheForge

Sep 7, 2011
"need for a constant internet connection"

.......really guys? really? did diablo 3 teach us nothing?

sorry if someone disagrees with me, but I think it's that kind of stuff that's unhealthy to modern gaming

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Mcoffey said:
The setting looks interesting and Bungie always does good work. It's just a shame that you're going to see most of this universe, that they've put so much time and effort into fleshing out, from down a gun barrel. It seems like such a waste of a potentially good setting. It's so limiting for telling stories.

And, yeah, it's kind of a bummer that there's no PC version.
Their "pillars" practically guarantee that narrative will be the least-important thing here. At best, we might get a Dark-Souls-like (relatively) open world that you crawl through with occasional other players popping in; the narrative might be inferred from the environments, but they seem to be actively avoiding cutscenes and dialogues.

At worst, it's just an MMO-shooter.

They've also revealed two worrying attitudes: "everything is better with other people" and "people don't want to read, think or do anything non-reflexive when gaming". That sounds like gaming's equivalent of a vibrator - it jilts you every now and then without rhyme or reason to provide immediate sensory gratification.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
I saw IGN deconstruct the concept art yesterday but I should have figured that once Escapist did coverage it'd be way more in depth and better-presented.
Looking forward to Warlock-ing it up in this scifi setting. I'm typically more into fantasy rather than scifi, medieval over futuristic, but this one definitely interests me, and could end up being my new obsession...

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
GodofTheForge said:
"need for a constant internet connection"

.......really guys? really? did diablo 3 teach us nothing?

sorry if someone disagrees with me, but I think it's that kind of stuff that's unhealthy to modern gaming
to be fair, this game is basically an mmo (or so it appears from what they have said) so it need to be always online like other mmo for loads of reasons.

anyway ot, the game sounds interesting, but it i do doubt it will be on pc, the attitude at bungie seems to be against it (from what i have read any) which is a shame because its a fps mmo. pc is basically made for that kind of game.

i do have to disagree with the attitude that its going to be some revolution, as it just seems like a standard mmo just with guns, i mean they have basically introduced the rouge, wizard and fighter classes already, just with different names, but i am interested how this social media things going to shape up (badly is my guess)

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
It looks extremely interesting, but its not PC so I'm not buying it. Otherwise I'd be on the hype train.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
In spite of the escapist interview, it's not 100% clear that Destiny is console-only:
"On the possibility of a PC version, Parsons said: 'We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms. So, stay tuned.'" - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-17-destiny-requires-an-internet-connection-to-work from Eurogamer talking to Bungie COO Pete Parsons.

'We would absolutely love to' is obviously not the same as 'we are actively working on', 'we are in the planning stages of' or even 'we ever actually will make' a PC port for Destiny, but it's a nicer gesture than a flat-out 'no' to be sure.

Still, the insistence on always-online MMO-style socialization a-la Guild Wars and the assertion that gamers don't read doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Here's hoping there's at least some optional story stuff for those who want it, like the old terminals in Marathon. Sigh. Memories.

Apr 5, 2008
Never played Halo games, but this looks great. Hope it comes to PC, not interested in console.

The always-on thing is also a concern...no Internet = no game??

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh it's not an MMO... except you described the mechanics of an MMO there, severely limited but still the same potato.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Well that video was a waste of four minutes.

- Look, this game does something with an iPhone!
- This game is so "new" and "amazing" and "crazy". Just not in any ways that Bungie care to specify at this time.
- Did you see that iPhone?
- Bungie want me to know how awesome they are.
- iPhone.
- Bungie are doing something awesome. I know this because I am seeing Bungie people talk fluff while hearing Something-Awesome-Is-Happening music.
- What's going on? I haven't seen an iPhone at all in the last thirty seconds.
- Hey, is this a first person shooter? Wow, that really is "new" and "crazy". How on earth will they pull it off? Oh, right, because it's Bungie and Bungie are just THAT awesome that they can just maybe make something as crazy as a new FPS work.

Wow. I'm in awe. Where's the pre-order button?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
rollerfox88 said:
The problem I have with this is the problem I have with sci-fi in general - the people designing the world are basically not constrained by anything whatsoever, and yet every species ends up being basically bipedal and basically humanoid. Halo did it, Mass Effect did it, Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, XCOM...is it just unimaginativeness? Or that its easy to make a rubber suit for conventions and TV spin-offs?
It saves money for mo-cap and its just easier to model.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Anyone else reminded of Vivec?

Giant moon-like thing hanging in the sky. City beneath it. 'Divinity' who was supposed to have saved everyone but gives you the strong feeling he hasn't and may in fact have damned everyone?

Also, not on PC so guess this one will fly by me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I was intrigue by the trailer that is until I check on Wiki and there is no pc version of it (maybe a year or so later like they did with Halo?). Also I was under the impression that it was like an MMOFPS sort of game like Borderland/ Planetside 2 due to the emphasis on multiplayer and the different character design of the Guardian.

Also the story still feel Halo related in a way (I'm not against it, I just realise it). The whole the "traveller sacriface themselve to save the human is kind of like the Forerunner sacriface themselves to elimated the flood once and for all and rebooted the other species in a way. Also the whole human race expanded into space until they came across a threat is similar to the very early history of Halo (but in saying so that story concept has been used load of times in games).

Lastly the whole build a city underneath the sphere thing is so going to bite them in the arse. Wheather or not that sphere can remain up there forever but I can easily see a plot twist that the sphere is going to crash into the Earth.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
It looks amazing so far. I hope there's going to be open world environments.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
All that RPG-worthy story and setting wasted on a console FPS? *walks away in disappointment*

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Quellist said:
All that RPG-worthy story and setting wasted on a console FPS? *walks away in disappointment*
Exactly, because you could never play an RPG style game with story and such with FPS gameplay...*slowly pushes newest Fallout games under the bed*

While this does look cool, and while I'll probably buy it, Bungie is making a huge mistake. Not the fact that it's always online, not that it might be console only, not even that they are mostly just looking at current-gen consoles, but that they say that it isn't an MMO. It's always online, you will always play with other players, there is a persistent world; Bungie, it is an MMO. The more you deny it, the more people will be mad about the constant online connection need. If it isn't an MMO, people will think that it can be played single-player, and they'll look at you with disgust. However, if you embrace the MMO aspect, most people will embrace the always online aspect also, and thus you will not bring upon the wrath of the gamers. Seriously, everything else seems to be quite well done, it's just that that one statement will be your undoing Bungie.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
Quellist said:
Exactly, because you could never play an RPG style game with story and such with FPS gameplay...*slowly pushes newest Fallout games under the bed*

While this does look cool, and while I'll probably buy it, Bungie is making a huge mistake. Not the fact that it's always online, not that it might be console only, not even that they are mostly just looking at current-gen consoles, but that they say that it isn't an MMO. It's always online, you will always play with other players, there is a persistent world; Bungie, it is an MMO. The more you deny it, the more people will be mad about the constant online connection need. If it isn't an MMO, people will think that it can be played single-player, and they'll look at you with disgust. However, if you embrace the MMO aspect, most people will embrace the always online aspect also, and thus you will not bring upon the wrath of the gamers. Seriously, everything else seems to be quite well done, it's just that that one statement will be your undoing Bungie.
If it plays anything like Fallout 3 i'll embrace it, i'm worried it will play more like Halo, which is all very well but not enough by far.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Quellist said:
If it plays anything like Fallout 3 i'll embrace it, i'm worried it will play more like Halo, which is all very well but not enough by far.
That's fair enough. I'd even be fine with the base gameplay not changing as much, but at least fleshing it out to tell a more in depth story. Halo had the story down, and it was cool, but so much was under the surface that the games barely even touched on what was actually going on. Most things just kind of popped out of nowhere and didn't really mean anything at first because you had no idea what they were talking about. However, they did get better as the game progressed, so it is my hopes that their writers are simply just better all around here.