burst fire in games

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
It would be nicer if the games allow you to use the fire selector on the gun to pick if you wanted to use it in either burst fire or fully automatic.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
hiks89 said:
Does anyone like burst fire?. i dont get burst fire in fps, or any other shootemup games. is it made just to piss ppl off?
Well, in whatever it's used in, burst-fire is what it is for a reason. For those of you who don't feel like single, but don't want to cut into full-auto, it's a compromise. And yeah, there are times for it. Short, controlled bursts. That sound familiar? Damn right it does, Hudson. If it works in real life, it has a place in the games.

I'll cite an example that isn't an FPS. It's my Survival Horror pick of the genre, Extermination. You start out on single-shot, which can get kind of irritating at times (though fortunately, you have the laser-sight and changeable views if necessary), but then you get the burst-fire upgrade and "Hey, my rifle has more stopping power.". They (the creatures) reel in shock to the bursts and you're conserving ammo, aiming better, and so on. Later on, maybe you have a big ton of ammo just sitting around and...aha...full-auto, baby! And when you can afford it, too!

Burst-fire has its place. Maybe it doesn't do it for you, but I can justify it for me.

Sep 6, 2009
In my opinion, let all guns that would be fully automatic be fully automatic with hugely realistic and uncontrollable recoil if the game claims to be a realism shooter. Anybody who doesn't burst fire automatically as a reflex will suffer for it, and rightfully so, since it is proper combat procedure to fire in short, controlled burst.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Hey if someone wants to use it then if should be there, I always prefer semi-auto(single shot), I like to be efficient with my bullets :D

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
The King of Rock and Roll said:
In my opinion, let all guns that would be fully automatic be fully automatic with hugely realistic and uncontrollable recoil if the game claims to be a realism shooter. Anybody who doesn't burst fire automatically as a reflex will suffer for it, and rightfully so, since it is proper combat procedure to fire in short, controlled burst.
the problem with that is that it goes against realism, as modern weapons are rather controllable in automatic fire with proper training (which your character has in theory)

You aren't playing as Michelle Rodriguez, you're playing as soldier that can do sustained fire.

I'd rather see games just give appropriate weapons their appropriate firing options, and let the player chose. automatic would have building recoil, single-shot allows maximum accuracy, and burst-fire is a compromise.

Personally, I find that all 3 modes have their use, Single-shot is great for longer range, burst fire for some guns can be nice (Specifically 2round burst from the AN94) and full-auto can be nice to dump a magazine at the enemy.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
hiks89 said:
Does anyone like burst fire?. i dont get burst fire in fps, or any other shootemup games. is it made just to piss ppl off?
The famas worked well in CS with burst fire. Nasty piece of work, even at long range.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Ladette said:
Usually no, although....
I am a beast in CS:Source with the Clarion and burst fire, the thing is a head shot machine.
Please, it's the FAMAS, not the Clarion. And yes, it is beast mode.

Burst fire was introduced to conserve ammo and to help keep a tighter grouping on bullets.

The problem with Burst fire is that in a video game, if they made it realistic, it would be too overpowered. Therefore, usually you have to put two bursts into a player unless you hit their heads. That makes it inferior in short and medium range combat in most games where there isn't much downside to fully auto weapons.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
In rainbow 6, I like to use single most of the time. Depends on the game though, I usually just control my bursts with the button anyways. And in the little bit of carbine training I've had, you can do hardcore suppressing with semi-auto anyways, even in overwhelming/peeling situations.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
COD:BO's G11 is an awesome gun at mid/long range, bringing down anyone in a burst to the upper body/head and holding heaps of ammo.

At close range, they'll just dive through your bullets and knife you, or cut you down with an extended burst of automatic fire.

Halo's Battle Rifle is an exceptionally bad burst fire gun, basically requiring two full bursts to the head to get anything remotely like a kill (from my limited experience). A sniper's weapon, but without the sniper rifle's high damage.

In COD though, I'm really annoyed by the lack of love for semi-automatic weapons.

Platypusbill101

Jan 2, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
I prefer being medium to long range anyway so i tend to burst fire if i'm not sniping

Not that real long range is even remotely possible in any game that's not in the Battlefield series (i think...)

Captcha oureally... YA RLY!
The Arma series is basically a simulation and long range means several hundrewd meters in that game