Buying bottled water...

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah, it's weird. Over here the water from the tap is actually cleaner than bottled water and still you see people lugging home water from the shop.

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
I buy bottled water for home, and also the jugs of water for a water cooler in my home. I don't use the tap water because it tastes different. Just like my bottled water, I need something that tastes purer than tap water or Aquafina(tastes like iron). At my camp, we buy the 4 litre jugs of water because the tap water is unclean. I also reuse the jugs/bottles and put other liquids in them such as juice/gatorade. I know it's more expensive than tap water, and that it's actually not as filtered, but to me it tastes WAY better.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
well i but bottle water because the tap water here were iv just moved tastes funny, and its easier then going through the rigmarole of trying purify it

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
mad825 said:
People think that the furthered filtered water is "healthier" even though tap water is monitored very carefully and the health risks associated with is so minuscule that it's beyond belief.
Chances are you are drinking the same tap water run through a virtually uninspected factory that was retrofitted to process water without all those profit ruining things like proper sealants, arsenic (and heavy metal) free components that erode and leach into the water, sterilisation facilities (or even basic hygiene processing). My favourite fact is that most bottled water bottles aren't as rigourously examined so a lot of them are made from plastics that are carcinogenic AND porous (making them hospitable for bacteria.

You're literally ignoring near free, clean water in favour of that same water made a lot less healthy and sold to you at a price no one would ever even concieve of paying for petroleum.

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
They're kind of useless for me because I have free clean tap water but others might need them if they're water quality is bad. But still I think they're a waste

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
I just hate the taste of tap water. I liken it to drinking from a swimming pool in terms of flavour.

That said, it's more economical to buy a filter than it is to buy bottled water.
That's because your tap water has a good bit of chlorine in it, just like a pool. It's fine in a pool, however drinking your "8 glasses a day" is effectively poisoning yourself. Mine does too. Think mine's got mostly dissolved rust in it as well, which gives me terrible heartburn and indigestion and who knows what else long term.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I buy hot water when I'm out in town or something. I don't buy it to drink around the house. Some people buy it to put into their packed lunch, depending on where they're working. Loads of people have different lifestyles than you, and so they buy these things for practicality.

And not all of the UK has hard water, the north has some fantastic stuff

BlastedTheWorm said:
See, smaller bottles is fine, especially if they're out and about, with no tap handy. Otherwise...it's just a waste, really.

That might just be because where I'm from, the water is awesome. I know in England it's...not pleasant.
You should try Australia, and America. Everytime I've been there, the water has had so much chlorine in it, it's dangerous to drink. At least in the UK water is good out of the tap, wherever you are

Thincrust

Sep 2, 2010
Yea I'm lazy is main reason I buy them lol. I used to have a Brita water filter thing, but I hated having to use my own bottles because I would lose them too easily.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Zaik said:
That's because your tap water has a good bit of chlorine in it, just like a pool. It's fine in a pool, however drinking your "8 glasses a day" is effectively poisoning yourself. Mine does too. Think mine's got mostly dissolved rust in it as well, which gives me terrible heartburn and indigestion and who knows what else long term.
I always stick it through a Britta filter. I'm not sure if that gets rid of the chlorine, but I certainly can't taste it in there anymore.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
jamiedf said:
well i but bottle water because the tap water here were iv just moved tastes funny, and its easier then going through the rigmarole of trying purify it
http://www.mcguckin.com/images/3061067.jpg

Water goes in the big hole in the top and comes out inside the pitcher. Despite how it looks, you can fill it up to the bottom of the white part with no issues, though it takes multiple fills of the top section. The filter just sits right in the middle, and has to be replaced either every 40 gallons or two months(Like an oil change, they recommend you do it at whichever you hit first, but you can do it at whichever you hit last with no noticeable difference in water quality). A filter comes with the pitcher, and filters can be bought in packs of 3 for $20 or so, I believe. Got the pitcher on sale at Walmart for $15.

Booze Zombie said:
Zaik said:
I always stick it through a Britta filter. I'm not sure if that gets rid of the chlorine, but I certainly can't taste it in there anymore.
Same here, got the pitcher linked above. Fairly cheap and easy, and it tastes more or less the same as bottled water at nowhere near the cost.

Queltherio

Oct 17, 2010
I personally boil my own water and only buy the large jugs when I either go camping or the one I use for water storage at home breaks.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I live in an area where I have my own well. It's not really a mystery what's in my water, so I usually fill up my big ass stainless steal water bottle everyday and chug it down. If I do happen to forget it, however, I will buy one of those two liter Volvic water bottles. That's the only kind of bottled water that I buy.

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
Never buy bottled water, I rarely drink water as is but bottle water is stupidly expensive and it's apparently worse for you because when they filter it you lose some of the good stuff as well as the nasties, which evidently aren't all that nasty as we're all still here.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Zaik said:
jamiedf said:
http://www.mcguckin.com/images/3061067.jpg

Water goes in the big hole in the top and comes out inside the pitcher. Despite how it looks, you can fill it up to the bottom of the white part with no issues, though it takes multiple fills of the top section. The filter just sits right in the middle, and has to be replaced either every 40 gallons or two months(Like an oil change, they recommend you do it at whichever you hit first, but you can do it at whichever you hit last with no noticeable difference in water quality). A filter comes with the pitcher, and filters can be bought in packs of 3 for $20 or so, I believe. Got the pitcher on sale at Walmart for $15.
im not buying a £30 filter (thats how much they are around here) when i can pick up 4litres bottles of water for 50p which usually does me most of the week, especially seeing as i dont drink water on its own that often anyway

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
I'm not one to judge people for the contents of their shopping trolleys, but I really wonder at the wisdom of those who buy bottled water. Not those 500ml bottles that you buy either more for the bottle or just on the fly because you're thirsty and its cheaper than anything else. I mean those two litre bottles that are about 50p each.

A part of me wonders: I have a tap with running water... I have a kettle... I have a jug to let the water cool down (UK has some very hard water, so I boil it)... so why would I want to lug however many litres of water back from Sainsbury's?

Or am I missing something here?

*shrug*
I had to do a report on this

Just saying for you out there reading this

Bottled Water (not sparkling) is just tap water in a bottle
PLUS bottled water is 4 times more expensive per gallon then gasoline

(I live in the US)

and tap water is about 1,000x less then bottled water as well

plus all those bottles generally get tossed instead of recycled which is horrid for the environment (if you care about that)

as for me, I buy one small case (like a 6 pack) of bottled water per year, then reuse the bottles for the rest of the year

(also those Nalgiene bottles and the other thick plastic ones that joggers generally use supposedly have a toxic chemical in their plastic that seeps into the water, but as to HOW "toxic" it is they've never said so I wouldn't let that bother you)

Now then, Back to playing MvC2 I go (waiting for MvC3)

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
My girlfriend buys bottled water for the bottles, then refills them from the tap. That's the only logic I can see to buying something that is so cheap and available that it might as well be free.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
I only really buy bottled water when i'm out and don't really fancy fizzy juice. I wouldn't buy it for the house tho, don't see the point as the tap water here (Scotland) is actually really quite good.