California Congressman Demands Videogame Warning Labels [Again]

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
But...there are labels on there! There's labels on every piece of advertising! The labels that make that guy that says "Rated M for Mature" what must be millions every year because it's in every goddamn trailer!
If you're a parent, and you need the government to tell you what's safe to give to your kids because you can't be arsed to pay any attention yourself and need the state to babysit you, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO REPRODUCE.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
antipunt said:
Ultra-conservative is ultra conservative. We get it man. You're old. You fear change.

Deal wit it. >=(
He's a democrat, not a conservative.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
yundex said:
antipunt said:
Ultra-conservative is ultra conservative. We get it man. You're old. You fear change.

Deal wit it. >=(
He's a democrat, not a conservative.
Not to mention arguing for more legislation and nanny state running our lives is supposed to be the opposite of conservative politics. Not that that's actually the case anymore.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It scares me to think that one day I shall be an old man calling for the regulation or destruction of the younger generation's fun.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Its not the government's job.

And its rather curious that he's arguing for this, but not touching the movie industry, which actually has more lenient ratings. Classic vote pandering because someone needs to think of the kids.

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Although the though of having E rated games like Kinetimals having warning labels of the affects of violence on minors is slightly amusing.
Now now, Mario is a terrible influence on children, promoting such extreme cruelty to Goombas after all!

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Let's bring up a smaller part of this discussion that is, personally, more interesting than "RRAGH POLITICIAN NOT LIKE GAEMS!" The rating system.

Anything E10+ and higher would have to give a warning label for the excessive violence inside. Here's the thing, though: A good chunk of games that fall into that category might not contain excessive violence at all.

Examples? You bet I have them!

DiRT 2: T (Lyrics, Mild Suggestive Themes) So, playing rock n' roll and maybe one or two girls in bikinis.
3D DOT GAME HEROES: E10+ (Mild Cartoon Violence) Occasionally someone will be bopped in the head for laughs.
Tony Hawk series (any entry'll do): T (Lyrics, Blood, Violence, Comic Mischief) Falling off your skateboard leaves road rash on your player character? That's considered violence. And "Comic Mischief" is apparently the proper term for "Jackass-like stunts and activities".
Rock Band/Guiitar Hero series: T. See DiRT 2.
Puzzle Quest Galactrix: E10+ (Alcohol Reference, Violence Reference) That's right. Just talking about someone getting punched is considered a little too aggressive for kids 9 and under in America. Better sit them in front of some Ninja Turtles reruns instead, those fistfights are appropriate for kids ages 7 and up.
World Series of Poker 2008 edition: T (Language, Simulated Gambling, Suggestive Themes, Tobacco Reference) Okay, now I can understand why talking about beer, cigarettes, and gambling might be something you'd want to keep away from especially young children. But suggestive themes? Just how much time do ESRB agents spend measuring the cleavage shown in a game to determine the suggestiveness of the end product?

Side note: captcha is an ad for Little Caesars pizza. No lie.

Idon'tcareanymore

Dec 29, 2011
Oh what the hell is this? Haven't we WON this debate? Game are considered art now. Not all art is "family" safe. Isn't the Mature or Teen label enough? Can't we just fire there people into the son already?

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I demand that a warning label be stuck to Joe Baca's forehead reading "WARNING: Exposure to this man's bigoted drivel has been linked to aggressive behavior."

dslatch

Apr 15, 2009
He wants warning on video games while they still dont have similar warnings on smokes. Silly congressmen.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Xenowolf said:
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Although the though of having E rated games like Kinetimals having warning labels of the affects of violence on minors is slightly amusing.
Now now, Mario is a terrible influence on children, promoting such extreme cruelty to Goombas after all!
Oh God your right, these corrupting games must be stopped. ;p

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
I'm all for it. If this means parents will think twice before buying their 12 year old kid call of duty or halo or whatever M rated game then yes, do it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Don't the ratings do that anyway?

Rated T: May contain depictions of violence and sex.

This warning label would only be there to scare people into thinking their children may grow up to become violent, which they may well do without games.

What we need is for either stronger punishment for selling to under age people, or up the age limit for things like this. Or both preferably.

Alcohol selling laws in England (especially London) have become very strict, and I see less kids drinking in public, even late at night.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
The problem I have with this more than anything is that he wants it to say that "Studies" "Prove" video games cause aggressive behavior. Those studies are vague at best, and bullshit at worst. There are just as many studies that prove the opposite.

Games don't need additional labeling any more than books or movies. The ratings are there, and well understood by smart people. Idiot parents will still be idiot parents no matter how big of a label you put on the game anyway.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Kyrinn said:
I'm all for it. If this means parents will think twice before buying their 12 year old kid call of duty or halo or whatever M rated game then yes, do it.
My only gripe is that this label will scare parents into not buying them. The way forward should never be scare tactics, it should be through education.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yes, and eating bread has been linked to death. Think about it: 98% of the people who have eaten bread in the past 1000 years have died and nobody will question me if I state it as fact that the remaining 2% most certainly will die some time in the next hundred years.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Ugh, here we go again. Is it bad I didn't even have to open the link to this thread to know it was from California?

Seriously, this is making me want to move to California. I wish my country's economy was so strong that my politicians could waste my hard earned tax money on frivolous, pointless legislation that has already been shot down by -every- court with half a brain.

Oh wait.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
Kyrinn said:
My only gripe is that this label will scare parents into not buying them. The way forward should never be scare tactics, it should be through education.
How about: "Warning, videogames have been linked with turning 12 year old boys into screeching internet badasses".

I jest of course but yes I agree, people should understand the issue rather than live in fear of it.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
NOOOOOOOO not a sticker, what is the world coming....oh...oh it just comes right off when you pull it, never mind