Call of Duty 4 Remaster Requires Infinite Warfare Disc

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I thought this was a given.

Still rubbing salt in the wound though. I don't even like COD4 that much and this pisses me off. Because I know plenty of people do like it and want to play it without Infinity Wars.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
erttheking said:
I thought this was a given.

Still rubbing salt in the wound though. I don't even like COD4 that much and this pisses me off. Because I know plenty of people do like it and want to play it without Infinity Wars.
That's a crossover that would make me care about the game.
CoD as it is just waiting for the yearly model to become unviable for it like it has for Ubisoft.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dragonlayer said:
Still can't decide whether I should pony up the cash for the uber edition and get both games, or just Call of Shoot Evil Jon Snow IN SPACE.

Also: what's with the Modern Warfare 2 screenshot?

Battenberg said:
Well of course. The mass negative response to the way they've handled this told them the would be in the bargain bins of second hand game sellers everywhere a month after launch, got to stop that happening somehow.

Apparently a much more customer friendly practice of just selling the games separately didn't even occur to them as an option for how to achieve that.
It does smack of a certain lack of confidence in Infinite Warfare, which I would have said is strange if the internet hadn't been full of shrieking crybabies who, having spent the last decade complaining that COD never does anything new*, completely dismissed Infinite Warfare for doing something new.

*Apparently the Black Ops series doesn't count.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't like the CoD series not because it exists, but because everyone HAD to copy it and anything original was pushed aside to make "grizzled man with a gun game #286". Thankfully with games like Doom 2016 and Overwatch that seems to be dying.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
So, it requires both game disc AND internet connection to play, despite there being a SP mode and the game not using the disc.

Activision, you're the scum of the earth.

Feb 7, 2016
The fact that they aren't just selling the two games separately aside, this seems reasonable.

I mean, when you purchase the product as a singular product, you get both games. So if you go to get a refund, you should be returning both games. You're not obligated to keep one of the games and get your money back for both.

As for reselling it, I mean yeah, I suppose it'd be nice if you could just sell Infinite Warfare to someone and keep Modern Warfare Remastered for yourself, but then it depends on how much your reselling it for since you're keeping a part of the content that originally came with it.

But this doesn't matter. Point is, they should have just sold them separately. This is a really shady way of getting your numbers for the latest game up so you can stay in the spotlight and go "Look! Even our newest game is a best seller!"

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Why do people want a MW remaster?
Wasn't everyone bored of modern military shooters just now? Or have the nostalgia goggles kicked in and this game no longer aged like milk?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
munx13 said:
Wasn't everyone bored of modern military shooters just now? Or have the nostalgia goggles kicked in and this game no longer aged like milk?
A big reason for so many people being sick of Modern Warfare type games is that none of them, not even it's own sequels, quite managed to capture that lightning in a bottle again.

The single player had a great plot that subverted the then standard FPS tropes and did the unthinkable in having an unhappy ending (you win, but Soap is crippled and everyone else dies, not mention Jackson's unceremonious death half way through). The multiplayer is pretty simple, but fast, balanced and full of great maps.

The sequels (and imitators) just pile crap upon crap on top of the multiplayer to the point it became an item grind, whilst the single player plot goes full Trump with the casual endorsement torture and thinly veiled xenophobia. Not to mention ret-conning the end of CoD4 for the sake of bringing back the named characters for a who-can-die-the-most-theatrically competition. It got old very fast, but Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is still a pretty excellent game regardless of the baggage that follows it now.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
The devil's advocate in me believes the reason this is is due to the 'fact' that Modern Warfare Resurgence uses assets from COD-in-Space like a DLC normally would, hence why you need the disc. Now, to argue that, they could've spent, like, a day to make it an actual standalone and boom, no more problem.

Of course, I don't know the actual costs involved with all of this so I can't say for sure if this was 100% pure greed or if it was more like "okay, but can you honestly justify the additional development time when we can just utilize the assets from the main game and save money/make our investors happy?".

praisegrima

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Yeah not sure why this is news.

Not having access to something that you've returned is pretty standard in most places.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
distortedreality said:

Not having access to something that you've returned is pretty standard in most places.
I guess reading is a dying art these days.
This is new because it applies not to Infinite Warfare but rather to Modern Warfare Remastered. You need an Infinite Warfare disc to play Modern Warfare Remastered despite MWR being a digital download. Which is stupid and anti-consumer.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I feel that Activision's "fuck u" marketing will continue a long way unless people stopped buying the games.

Having an old PC does have it's advantages

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
munx13 said:
A big reason for so many people being sick of Modern Warfare type games is that none of them, not even it's own sequels, quite managed to capture that lightning in a bottle again.

The single player had a great plot that subverted the then standard FPS tropes and did the unthinkable in having an unhappy ending (you win, but Soap is crippled and everyone else dies, not mention Jackson's unceremonious death half way through). The multiplayer is pretty simple, but fast, balanced and full of great maps.

The sequels (and imitators) just pile crap upon crap on top of the multiplayer to the point it became an item grind, whilst the single player plot goes full Trump with the casual endorsement torture and thinly veiled xenophobia. Not to mention ret-conning the end of CoD4 for the sake of bringing back the named characters for a who-can-die-the-most-theatrically competition. It got old very fast, but Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is still a pretty excellent game regardless of the baggage that follows it now.
Having re-played COD4 a few months back I have to say that the single-player is just as laughably full "Trump" as the more recent COD's. Hell, the last few iterations actually toned it down. It's still an ultra-linear FPS that, as Yahtzee put it, assumes you have ADD and bangs your head with a frying pan to keep you moving forward.
I think now the reason everyone wants the remake is because that teens who played it years back are now old enough to have nostalgia for it and haven't touched it long enough to see its glaring flaws.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wrex Brogan said:
...wait, isn't it standard anyway (at least for consoles) that you need the disc in anyway even if the entire game is installed on the hard drive if you purchased the physical copy? I know I've got to do that with my PS4 for a whole bunch of games anyway, so... yeah, doesn't seem like that big a deal?
I got Fallout 3 with my copy of Fallout 4. I also got Alan Wake with my copy of Quantum Break. Neither of the extras require the disc to play

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
It seems Activision is going into full panic mode with Infinite Warfare, knowing that MWR may be it's only hope at this point.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Boy, I'm glad I was never a huge COD fan outside of the original WWII shooter. If I had choice between this and BF1, then it would be the latter. I know DICE is putting their 100% into their newest installment, but I can't help the feeling that EA is going to screw it up somehow, so I'll wait until I get word from Battlefield fans or the general public.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
RealRT said:
distortedreality said:

This is new because it applies not to Infinite Warfare but rather to Modern Warfare Remastered. You need an Infinite Warfare disc to play Modern Warfare Remastered despite MWR being a digital download. Which is stupid and anti-consumer.
No, I fully understood the article.

You need an IW disc to play MW, a game that you only have access to because you purchased the IW disc. It stands to reason that if you no longer have the IW disc, you should also no longer have access to whatever content it gave you access to, downloaded or not.

You're paying for a licence to play a game - if you no longer hold that license, you can no longer play. Don't see what's difficult to understand about that.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
distortedreality said:
RealRT said:
distortedreality said:

No, I fully understood the article.

You need an IW disc to play MW, a game that you only have access to because you purchased the IW disc. It stands to reason that if you no longer have the IW disc, you should also no longer have access to whatever content it gave you access to, downloaded or not.

You're paying for a licence to play a game - if you no longer hold that license, you can no longer play. Don't see what's difficult to understand about that.
Who said it's difficult to understand? It's perfectly understandable. Doesn't mean that it's good. Or acceptable. Like racial segregation.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:
Still can't decide whether I should pony up the cash for the uber edition and get both games, or just Call of Shoot Evil Jon Snow IN SPACE.

Battenberg said:
Well of course. The mass negative response to the way they've handled this told them the would be in the bargain bins of second hand game sellers everywhere a month after launch, got to stop that happening somehow.

Apparently a much more customer friendly practice of just selling the games separately didn't even occur to them as an option for how to achieve that.
It does smack of a certain lack of confidence in Infinite Warfare, which I would have said is strange if the internet hadn't been full of shrieking crybabies who, having spent the last decade complaining that COD never does anything new*, completely dismissed Infinite Warfare for doing something new.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't like the CoD series not because it exists, but because everyone HAD to copy it and anything original was pushed aside to make "grizzled man with a gun game #286". Thankfully with games like Doom 2016 and Overwatch that seems to be dying.
You know, that point always gets brought up by the series' detractors, yet a cursory search of the games released since Modern Warfare (2007) and now shows companies that always made shooters, making more shooters, and companies that didn't, well not. I'm honestly curious: where does this perception that everything is CODlite come from?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dragonlayer said:
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:

Battenberg said:

You know, that point always gets brought up by the series' detractors, yet a cursory search of the games released since Modern Warfare (2007) and now shows companies that always made shooters, making more shooters, and companies that didn't, well not. I'm honestly curious: where does this perception that everything is CODlite come from?
Fuse is a good start. The new Doom started as a CoDlite game.