Call of Duty 4 Remaster Requires Infinite Warfare Disc

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:
Still can't decide whether I should pony up the cash for the uber edition and get both games, or just Call of Shoot Evil Jon Snow IN SPACE.

Also: what's with the Modern Warfare 2 screenshot?

Battenberg said:
Well of course. The mass negative response to the way they've handled this told them the would be in the bargain bins of second hand game sellers everywhere a month after launch, got to stop that happening somehow.

Apparently a much more customer friendly practice of just selling the games separately didn't even occur to them as an option for how to achieve that.
It does smack of a certain lack of confidence in Infinite Warfare, which I would have said is strange if the internet hadn't been full of shrieking crybabies who, having spent the last decade complaining that COD never does anything new*, completely dismissed Infinite Warfare for doing something new.

*Apparently the Black Ops series doesn't count.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't like the CoD series not because it exists, but because everyone HAD to copy it and anything original was pushed aside to make "grizzled man with a gun game #286". Thankfully with games like Doom 2016 and Overwatch that seems to be dying.
You know, that point always gets brought up by the series' detractors, yet a cursory search of the games released since Modern Warfare (2007) and now shows companies that always made shooters, making more shooters, and companies that didn't, well not. I'm honestly curious: where does this perception that everything is CODlite come from?
Fuse is a good start. The new Doom started as a CoDlite game.
Fuse came out in 2013, a year heralded by such CODlite entrees as Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Terraria, Br?tal Legend and Don't Starve. I'm not saying COD had zero influence on the gaming industry - it's developed an arms race with Battlefield despite both offering different things for instance, and sadly put an end to AAA WW2 games for the time being - but I remain unconvinced that it unleashed a wave of imitators that consumed everything. And I'd have much preferred the latest Doom be in the fashion of latter-day shooters, or at the very least be like 3, but that's just our divergent tastes emerging.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dragonlayer said:
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:
Still can't decide whether I should pony up the cash for the uber edition and get both games, or just Call of Shoot Evil Jon Snow IN SPACE.

Battenberg said:
Well of course. The mass negative response to the way they've handled this told them the would be in the bargain bins of second hand game sellers everywhere a month after launch, got to stop that happening somehow.

Apparently a much more customer friendly practice of just selling the games separately didn't even occur to them as an option for how to achieve that.
It does smack of a certain lack of confidence in Infinite Warfare, which I would have said is strange if the internet hadn't been full of shrieking crybabies who, having spent the last decade complaining that COD never does anything new*, completely dismissed Infinite Warfare for doing something new.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't like the CoD series not because it exists, but because everyone HAD to copy it and anything original was pushed aside to make "grizzled man with a gun game #286". Thankfully with games like Doom 2016 and Overwatch that seems to be dying.
You know, that point always gets brought up by the series' detractors, yet a cursory search of the games released since Modern Warfare (2007) and now shows companies that always made shooters, making more shooters, and companies that didn't, well not. I'm honestly curious: where does this perception that everything is CODlite come from?
Fuse came out in 2013, a year heralded by such CODlite entrees as Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Terraria, Br?tal Legend and Don't Starve. I'm not saying COD had zero influence on the gaming industry - it's developed an arms race with Battlefield despite both offering different things for instance, and sadly put an end to AAA WW2 games for the time being - but I remain unconvinced that it unleashed a wave of imitators that consumed everything. And I'd have much preferred the latest Doom be in the fashion of latter-day shooters, or at the very least be like 3, but that's just our divergent tastes emerging.
Even if you didn't like the new Doom and prefer it to be like 3, you can't have a Doom game without monsters and demons. The original Doom 4 didn't have them, instead pretty much being a Cod clone with the Doom name. We didn't need that. CoD is not the problem, dumbass execs are.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:
RaikuFA said:
Dragonlayer said:

Battenberg said:

Even if you didn't like the new Doom and prefer it to be like 3, you can't have a Doom game without monsters and demons. The original Doom 4 didn't have them, instead pretty much being a Cod clone with the Doom name. We didn't need that. CoD is not the problem, dumbass execs are.
Hmmm, do you have any links to this original concept for the latest Doom? I would very much enjoy a solidly built COD-style shooter with supernatural horror themes - F.E.A.R was fantastic and has some of the best tactical AI I've ever seen in gaming - but I don't see how anyone could remove that from Doom and still keep the title. I mean, even the movie adaptation kept Mars and the machinations of evil science.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
munx13 said:
Having re-played COD4 a few months back I have to say that the single-player is just as laughably full "Trump" as the more recent COD's. Hell, the last few iterations actually toned it down. It's still an ultra-linear FPS that, as Yahtzee put it, assumes you have ADD and bangs your head with a frying pan to keep you moving forward.
I think now the reason everyone wants the remake is because that teens who played it years back are now old enough to have nostalgia for it and haven't touched it long enough to see its glaring flaws.
Well I went away and played it again. I actually think it's a subversion of the Interventionism and xenophobia that characterises Trump (and at the time Bush).

The protagonists march forward will total certainty that they're in the right, that they're doing the right thing to resolve the situation, yet they are met with failure and death at every turn.

The invasion of Unspecified-istan ends with the nuclear destruction of a city, a significant portion of a Marine task force and thousands of innocent people. The capture and torture of Al-Asad ultimately achieves nothing as well, it's pure coincidence that Zakhaev calls Al-Asad's phone and Price recognises the voice. Then the attempt on Viktor not only fails to gain any useful intelligence, but escalates the situation and nearly ends in nuclear war. Even after all that and the SAS/Delta task force saving the day, it costs them their lives and at the end it's the Russians who rescue Soap, the same Russian Price dangles over a cliff early in the game.

The flashback bears it out further, instead of telling the Ukranians about Zakhaev's plan the US/UK sends Delta and the SAS to kill him off. That fails and sets off the grudge that drives the entire plot of the game.

Even the names of the levels reference famous military failures and protests (Charlie Don't Surf, War Pig, Shock and Awe, All In, No Fighting in the War Room) and the famous death quotes are vastly more anti-war than they've been in recent entries.

Of course MW2 and 3 would introduce yet more shifty foreigners who planned it all from the beginning and crank up the patriotism to truly ridiculous levels (how exactly did the entire Russian Army make it to Washington again?). It felt like it had better pacing than recent CoDs too, except for the AC130 there was a distinct lack of gimmick mechanics you use once and never touch again.