Call of Duty 5 Heading Back to World War II

fanrock51

Feb 27, 2008
Will never buy it anyway if it only release in console. I can't play FPS without mouse or keyboard at all. and even it is released in pc, i will not rush to buy it unless it got good review from everywhere (may include yahtzee). CoD without infinity ward is not what i really gonna play

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
So...There basically taking a step backwards. It took them 3 games to realise WW2 is getting boring, and now they seem to have forgotten. Someone needs to slap some sense into infinity ward. Morons

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
JakubK666 said:
"Not another WW2 FPS!"

Can ANY of you actually name a Pacific War FPS other than MoH:pacific Assault?

Unless any of you can provide me with at least 5 titles, cut the bullshit because according to Wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_II_first-person_shooters) the WW2(and especially Africa/Pacific) isn't used ANYWHERE near as much as Fantasy/Sci-Fi.
Of course it's valid, what will be different? There will be the same guns, very similar landscapes (lot of beach landings in the Pacific campaign), and the same American zeal to creating a WWII game, the only difference is upgraded graphics and instead of vilifying the Germans, this time it will be the Japanese. It's the same war, a different campaign makes it no different when you're stuck with the same soldiers/weapons/areas.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Personally, I'm still wondering when we're going to get a video game about Vietnam or the Korean War.

Hell, why not Burma? Rambo 4 was awesome, lets go to Burma in an FPS. Or maybe Darfur.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
JakubK666 said:
Unless any of you can provide me with at least 5 titles, cut the bullshit because according to Wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_II_first-person_shooters) the WW2(and especially Africa/Pacific) isn't used ANYWHERE near as much as Fantasy/Sci-Fi.
Have you considered that perhaps it's because WW2 is a six-year period of recent history that has been microscopically examined and rehashed by numerous media formats, while "fantasy/sci-fi" covers... just about anything?

I don't think you can seriously suggest that moving your WW2 shooter franchise from the ETO to the PTO is somehow equivalent to the difference between Deus Ex and, say, Serious Sam.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Someone needs to slap some sense into infinity ward. Morons
That's TREYARCH for you sir. Infinity Ward did an excellent job with CoD4, I enjoyed both it's SP and MP element, while I do believe there are gameplay elements which need to be fixed (EG. Crosshair response when shooting someone through a wall), IW has my highest regards as developers.

I certainly wished developpers would leave the WW2-era behind and focus on fictional war in modern settings. But I guess creativity and imagination for some don't work too well, guess I will wait for Blackfoot studio (Apparently, devs from Red Storm (Rainbow Six)) have been working on a new modern-era Rainbow-six'esque shooter, so I can't wait to see what they will deliver.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
If they're going to the Pacific theatre, I'll bet they miss out the entire South East Asian campaign.

History (especially american history) loves to forget the battles that ran from China all the way India, then back again as the British, Canadians, Aussies, Indians and NewZealanders fought the Japanese through the Jungle.
Easily the most Brutal front outside Russia, the British Fourteenth Army's general, William Slim, had to carry (and frequently use) his own carbine at all times. How many other generals of ww2 lived that close to the battles they comanded?

history seems to ignore the Fouteenth in favour of the US island hopping campaing, which was only ever half the pacific war.

Anywase, it would be nice to see the Fourteenth army remembered somewhere else than the History books. It would also be nice to play the Pacific theatre without the wholesome all American Marines for once...

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Skrapt said:
Of course it's valid, what will be different? There will be the MODERN SUCCESSORS OF THE old guns, very similar landscapes (A LOT OF FORESTS AND DESERTS), and the same American zeal to creating a WW2 game, the only difference is upgraded graphics and instead of vilifying the Germans, this time it will be the TERRORISTS AND RUSSIANS. It's the same war, a different ERA makes it no different when you're stuck with the SIMILAR FUTURE EQUIVALENT OF THE same soldiers/weapons/areas.
You could say the exact thing about CoD4.Or any game in general.

The reason WW2 is "not cool" and "overused" is because people hardly ever take it beyond Europe.WaW might be a reskin but so is CoD4.Considering that Treyarch will try to look at the survival horror genre as well as psychological side of this war(source: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/09/call-of-duty-world-at-war-revealed-treyarch-to-develop/) and WaW will utilize a perk system, this game has a chance to become a hit.

I don't think you can seriously suggest that moving your WW2 shooter franchise from the ETO to the PTO is somehow equivalent to the difference between Deus Ex and, say, Serious Sam.
No, because that'd be just plain stupid.However considering that reskinning CoD2 into modern era aka CoD4 sold millions of copies, PTO might be a good idea.People are always looking for a new experience.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
fix-the-spade said:
history seems to ignore the Fouteenth in favour of the US island hopping campaing, which was only ever half the pacific war.
Yeah, but it was the half that won the war and all. History ignores the US defense of the Philippines as well. Nothing more to it than history focusing on the big, pivotal events at the expense of less historically important ones.
No, the Russian front won the war. If Germany hadn't commited all that manpower east the US wouldn't have been able to focus the entire Marine corps on Japan.

Plus South East Asia tied up fully half of Japan's Navy for the length of the war, including Pearl Harbour. Imagine the damage that would have been done if Japan had been able to commit 12carriers and 6 battleships instead of 2 Battleships and 6 Carriers.
It also kept 1'700'000 Japanese troops tied up. roughly 1.5 times the number of troops commited to the Pacific (imagine Gaudalcanal defended by 70'000 instead of 36'000, the Marines would have been driven into the sea, assuming the war ever even got that far).

The reason its remembered is that the Marines sent a small army of camera men and reporters in with the invading force.
Pretty much every battle was covered in glorious detail, the war was also media friendly as battles were over quickly (Tarawa was over in 3days, Iwo Jima 31). The reporters also took great pains to photo or film every flag raising.

The Burma war was largely unreported because the terrain was so difficult to travel that very few media went. It also had very few defined battles, being more a continuous slog with very few clear victories (the war also went through Vietnam, where one Ho Chi Minh led the Vietnamese resistance against the Vichy French, then later the Japanese, so it was even more important to US history than most people realise).

So it wasn't a case of winning the war, just shouting loudest about every little achievement.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
JakubK666 said:
"Not another WW2 FPS!"

Can ANY of you actually name a Pacific War FPS other than MoH:pacific Assault?

Granted, last years was a good year, there where almost no WW2 games. But, think of the year before that, and the year before that.

And you can a little bit more out Fantasy and Sci-fi than you can out of six fucking years with same bad guys, same good guys bla bla bla /end rant

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Only way I'll ever get into another WW2 game is when i get to play the Japanese, or the Germans. Besides a change of scenery, a change of sides should liven up things a bit. But i guess there is a lot of political correctness in these games to prevent... well what exactly?

BoilingLeadBath

Jun 3, 2008
For what it's worth, the gun in the picture looks like it might be a (Japanese) type 99 LMG.

With a weird looking front sight and perhaps an issue involving the rendering of the action (can't tell for sure, the arm is in the way)

And, no, I didn't know that. I had to look it up... because the magazine sitting on top of the gun made me think "Italian", and I was like "WTF are the Italians doing in the pacific?"