Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Review - Game Boy Advanced

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Review - Game Boy Advanced

Call of Duty. With double jumps.

Read Full Article

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
And again CoD is the King of Mediocrity. Why don't they do what they really WANT to do, making multiplayer shooters? Maybe a Call of Duty Destiny?

Also, I cannot remind people enough: Yathzee saw this coming! It was inevitable. Press X to palm your face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBxpzRZxBZo

edit: corrections

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare upholds the status quo and aims no higher than that. Its sci-fi trappings are but shallow appeals to progress, and while the multiplayer is still able to provide some entertainment, the CoD formula feels anything but "advanced" these days.
THANKYOU. So many reviewers and youtubers seem to be losing their shit over a few minor tweaks to the formula this time around.

Even seems to be this growing chorus of 'this games good, people are just hating on it because it's cod'.

When in reality it's another case of new hat:

Cannot help but wonder whether people are receiving this game more positively because Ghosts was such an abomination.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
As Totalbiscuit noted here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1g2XGnN2jM&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ ), the game is so scripted that it arbitrarily prevents you from using the FOV (field of view) slider in single player. If you could see beyond the microscopic 65 field of view, then you could see the "edges" of things in cutscenes your not suppose to.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You commented on the political commentary in the game for a paragraph, your review is clearly biased and not objective /sarcasm.

So in summary it's a watered down, lukewarm affair that's terrified to do anything new and all the new features are just window dressing?

And no one was surprised.

(Hold X to pay respects, fucking really?)

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Quote: "Recommendation: Hold X to pay respects" It's funny because the series is dead

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I downloaded this on launch day for some reason, possibly compulsive related, and have to agree the leash is feeling much tighter this time around. It feels like it successively turns your brain off, suspiciously ripe for subliminal message insertions (hmmmm...). Until i suddenly wonder why nanovision isnt working, then the grim reality returns.
Also...the physics. What the hell is wrong with small object physics? There are N64 games and indie games with far more grounded (tee-hee) physics than this game. That and the enemies in exo-survival are just human military based with shoddy run n gun-at your face AI. Where are the aliens and zombies? The ones that involved, albeit minimal, creativity and character?? It all seems bare and bland like a muesli-wafer. Oh don't even mention the hoverbikes either! That will remain a sore subject for quite some time.

Still, Kevin Spacey though. Half arsed points for that at least.
With the "hold X to pay respects", i had to think long and hard as to whether that was some self aware joke on their part. Though when i say "think", i mean "hope"...and by "long and hard", i mean "through catatonic despair."

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Sad really, TB gave the multiplayer a fairly glowing review

I suppose for some, the bridges are burned and for others they still remain

let's see what the general consensus says because a part of me wants to play this game; i'm a sucker for exo-suits and near future weapons.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
It's funny, some people were saying, "Well, they got Kevin Spacey for the campaign. You don't just get someone like Kevin Spacey for nothing." and my response to them was, "Kelsey Grammer was in Trans4mers. Sometimes people just need a paycheck." Now I know I was right. Kevin Spacey as, Kevin Spacey playing, Kevin Spacey.

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
Izanagi009 said:

let's see what the general consensus says because a part of me wants to play this game; i'm a sucker for exo-suits and near future weapons.
Its a Call of Duty game, the multi-player will always be its strong point, no matter how many times they rehash it. I think the point Jim made is that the game could have done some really good things and change the game in a positive direction by taking the game to a more mature space narratively and generally give people the opportunity to form their own opinions on where warfare will take us in the future, be it corporate wars or drone combat, but instead the campaign just does the typical kill generic bad guy, on rails bit, shoot some more guys and so on. Its just something you can't keep doing forever without getting bored of it, at some point you have to involve the player beyond "Press X to pay respects".

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Aikayai said:
Izanagi009 said:

Its a Call of Duty game, the multi-player will always be its strong point, no matter how many times they rehash it. I think the point Jim made is that the game could have done some really good things and change the game in a positive direction by taking the game to a more mature space narratively and generally give people the opportunity to form their own opinions on where warfare will take us in the future, be it corporate wars or drone combat, but instead the campaign just does the typical kill generic bad guy, on rails bit, shoot some more guys and so on. Its just something you can't keep doing forever without getting bored of it, at some point you have to involve the player beyond "Press X to pay respects".
I suppose,

Why doesn't Activision just focus on making a multiplayer only game? more time and money will be spent on what the majority of people play and we don't have to deal with the stupid of "press x to pay respects"

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
I have the sudden urge to re-write this review in a more "objective" style. Let's do this:
Jim said:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is a video game in the Call of Duty series. These games have consistently sold well, and are usually released on a yearly basis, with new games being released in November. It has many players who are described by some as "fans".

Compared to previous games in the series, it contains more elements that are described by some as "science-fiction", such as laser beams and jetpacks. It also has a new campaign.

Campaign gameplay consists of the player character following NPCs on a path through various environments while shooting enemies with various firearms. These paths are generally demarcated with objective markers, and the player usually moves through objectives in a sequential manner. Players may experience failure states if they do not follow closely to their given objectives.

In addition to firearms, grenades with selectable modes, each having different effects, such as identifying targets or disabling enemies using an EMP blast, are also available.

Some sections of the campaign allow the player to climb walls, or to use new abilities, explained in-game as the result of advanced technology, in particular a powered armor frame known as an EXO. These abilities, which are new to the series, include double-jumping, bullet-time and cloaking devices. These features can also be found in other games in the shooter genre, such as Halo and Crysis.

The game also has a progression system, where the player can upgrade abilities based on points that they earn in the process of gameplay.

The campaign mode features a character played by Kevin Spacey, who is an actor. The character heavily resembles Kevin Spacey, the actor, in appearance and mannerisms.

The multiplayer mode features a variety of maps where players can engage each other in different match modes, using weapons to shoot at each other in the course of completing various objectives. Compared to the campaign mode, multiplayer maps have less sequentially-defined objectives, and are designed to allow the players to use the aforementioned abilities, such as double-jumping, to explore the environment.

There are also additional temporary abilities, such as extra running speed, enhanced health regeneration, and a deployable shield. High-scoring players are also rewarded with the ability to use UAVs, gun turrets, and "Warbirds", attack drones and mech suits. The cloaking device is also available. Some players have observed that the cloaking device creates a visible outline around the user's silhouette. This may make them easier to identify during gameplay.

Character customization exists in multiplayer. The player can choose their avatar's gender, helmets, gloves, leg-guards, and EXO designs. New costume pieces are provided by Supply Drops, which are awarded to players as they go through multiplayer. Costume pieces have varying levels of rarity, and can be collected.

In conclusion, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is a video game, available on the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and PC. Featuring Kevin Spacey.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
I suppose,

Why doesn't Activision just focus on making a multiplayer only game? more time and money will be spent on what the majority of people play and we don't have to deal with the stupid of "press x to pay respects"
I think Titanfall proved that a multiplayer only game is a big risk, for how many outcries were there with "I don't want to pay full price for half a game".

Hopefully there is going to be a new shooter game that will help redefine them again. Halo and Call of Duty have done that in the past, but it seems recently a lot of the games have felt stale on the same level as a Madden game.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Izanagi009 said:

I have noticed a trend where TB tends to get giddy and excited over games (actually most things in general) that have sci-fi elements to them or anything involving jet packs and railguns/lasers etc. That's cool though, just his personal preference shining through.

However while I respect his opinion as someone that probably enjoys fps as a casual fun romp for a week, I tend to face palm when he makes statements regarding the 'skill ceiling' of particular games.

When developers add so much mmo-style excess bullshit to the experience, any hope for a balanced, competitive and skillful game goes straight out the window. Even if there was dedicated servers, CoD and Battlefields lack of modding and community support in favor of yearly releases and monthly dlc has been terrible for the FPS genre.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
ron1n said:
Izanagi009 said:

I have noticed a trend where TB tends to get giddy and excited over games (actually most things in general) that have sci-fi elements to them or anything involving jet packs and railguns/lasers etc. That's cool though, just his personal preference shining through.

However while I respect his opinion as someone that probably enjoys fps as a casual fun romp for a week, I tend to face palm when he makes statements regarding the 'skill ceiling' of particular games.

When developers add so much mmo-style excess bullshit to the experience, any hope for a balanced, competitive and skillful game goes straight out the window. Even if there was dedicated servers, CoD and Battlefields lack of modding and community support in favor of yearly releases and monthly dlc has been terrible for the FPS genre.
In this case, I would argue there is some level of skill in using the suit's mobility as well as aiming while on the move. Since there is no smart pistol like with Titanfall, this means that people have to actively aim and while criticism of auto-aim are valid for the console versions, i'm not sure how accurate it is for the PC version.

I do understand though that yearly releases and monthly DLC would make balance diffiuclt; If I had to design a fighter that would be released yearly with monthly DLC, it would be a logistical nightmare, especially given the amount of playtesting needed

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
"Press X to pay respects." That is just the most perfect thing I've ever read.

Honestly, I'm a little bummed out. I was hoping this Call of Duty would be different than the rest, sadly this doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't purchased a Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare, looks like that's gonna continue.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
So! I bought this, because it looked sufficiently stupid to be enjoyable.
That's probably a very hipster thing to do, buying a game to ironically enjoy it, but hey, I do silly things often XD. The thing is that by considering a "comedy" I've managed to enjoy it a whole lot more than if I expected anything more significant from it.

When I saw "PRESS X TO PAY RESPECTS" I simply laughed my ass off... because whoever is developing this has to know that is fantastic parody... right?
I hope they know that.

However I should say that I have not played any CoD since.. Modern warfare? I may have dabbled around with a few of the newer ones' pvp. But the point is that maybe I'm not as sick of it as Jim seems to be.

Anyhow, that was a good review, I agree with most of the points, but I still have had a blast with it.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
"HOLD X TO PAY FOR RE-SPECCS"?!?!?! THIS IS ABSURD, WHY IS NOBODY COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS RAMPANT MONETIZATION?!?!

At least they didn't mean 'pay respects' like at a funeral or something. Yeesh.

The MMS shooter has never been my genre, so I don't really have a horse in this race. I feel bad for fans about the series stagnating due to its own success, though. I got cajoled into playing CoD2 back in the day and while ultimately it didn't win me over, coming from a background of Doom / UT / Halo I was impressed with ways it leveraged the 'realistic' setting for some great gameplay. At the time I backed away because I didn't care for the jingoism of the games but suspected that as the gameplay continued to innovate I might be won over.

Weird it didn't break that way, really. I get why it stagnated, but it doesn't seem like that had to happen.