Call of Duty: Black Ops has a Girl Character (single-player) (Dtoid)

BlastedTheWorm

Jan 26, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Snotnarok said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Snotnarok said:
I'm not talking about a thrill, I'm just giving you the same thing I gave my friend who said the same thing.
Do you want to look at a guy, or a girl for 7-12 hours?
In the entirely non-sexual context of wearing full body armor and being regularly engaged in intense close quarter gun battles, my preference lies with playing as the character who seems least out of place. Anya, when last I saw her, was built like a waif. If she maintained this build while wearing power armor and keeping up with men who are easily 300 lbs of bone and muscle, I would be reminded constantly that I was playing a game with capricious and entirely arbitrary rules.

That is the reason why I care if the armor is powered or not. For the record, unless I was told it wasn't, my assumption would be that the armor probably does assist in the user's locomotion.

And, besides, between the two, Fenix has at least some amount of characterization to his credit at this point. Anya was just eye candy and a nagging voice in my ear for hours on end.
Again I really think you're trying to apply real logic to comic book stuff. The armor isn't attached to itself so there's no way it's power armor, and Fenix is wearing less of it next game.

My suggestions aren't about sexual attraction or whatever (I'm asexual and could care less)my point is they could make her fit storywise but different logic may need be applied. Anya could simply have been drafted because humanity is desperate and she did some training. Hell if they let someone as whiny as Dom be a soldier then she should have no problem *satire*.

My one hope is they don't have her clashing with a Locust in chainsaw duels like the others since the Locust are about 500 times larger and go with a more agile approach, dodge and saw.
I don't think you can tell me what I might think is a silly spectacle or not. Even in the realm of comic books you find a passing attempt to justify such things. Is "Superman gets his power from the sun" a good explanation? Nope. But at least it's an explanation.

What I require is any explanation (even if it involves waving one's hand at magic as the reason) for things that seem incredibly unlikely.

Let's put this in perspective: When I was in the Army, I was issued ballistic protection in the form of a vest with small arms protective inserts and a helmet. The vest itself could, from very specific angles, expect to withstand a single 7.62x54mm round (what you would normally consider a "sniper" round, also common round for hunting and medium machine guns) fired from 200+ meters. The same vest could also be reasonably expected to stop a single 7.62x39mm round from much closer ranges (50+ meters) or multiple .45 ACP rounds from 25meters. This armor, in total, weighed about 30 lbs and was, in a word, hilariously uncomfortable. When you include my rifle, ammunition, water and the rest of the junk I had to carry, my total load exceed 100 lbs.

In Gears of War, they are wearing armor that is withstanding numerous impacts from ranges generally well under 50m all over their body. Such a suit of armor would be incredibly heavy using any known modern material. As I pointed out, if the suit did not assist in the wearer's locomotion in any way, it makes sense that the Gears are all built like brick shithouses - they'd HAVE to be to simply move as quickly as combat requires. Anya, however, is precisely the opposite.

Thus, what I require for her presence on the field in such a piece of armor to not seem strangely out of place, is some explanation as to how she is managing such a thing. The armor might assist in the user's locomotion. There might be a "sub suit" that does the same thing and the armor simply rests on top of it. It might be a super high tech armor that weighs a fraction of modern materials while maintaining it's protective qualities. The trouble is, there is no such explanation thus far. As such, her presence on the field bugs me because she is entirely out of place in a game world populated by Dom and Cole and the rest of the meatheads.
Okay let's get realistic about this then chum, since Gears is very scientific like reality. When you're hit in Gears of War blood sprays out of you by the gallon, thus proving their armor is highly ineffective and all the bullets actually do hit the flesh of the target. Take too many and you fall down bleeding to death from bullet trauma, but someone taps your back and you're suddenly healed up and okay.

One can only assume that this land has been bombarded with many lightmass bombs that has irradiated Sera has both infected and enhanced the Gears giving them greater muscle density more blood in their bodies and the ability to heal a damaged ally by touching their wounds. The Locust were made by man to fight the Gears since they are larger than the average man but rebelled, they gained magical abilities from their creation. I know you don't like the idea of magic but in 2 you see priests raising fallen enemies from the dead, so bare with me I'm coming to a conclusion here.

The Locust being artificial were welcomed into the arms of God and man was shunned for using it's technology to enhance themselves and the Locust were given Christ like powers to save their fellow Locust.

In conclusion, Anya is actually several times stronger than any man on Earth because she was effected too, her muscle density is several times the norm and therefor can do anything the best human could do only better. The mostly useless armor is likely there to only hold extra ammo since as I've already stated bullets go straight through and a worrying amount of blood is expelled. Things are certainly hectic on Sera, but you're right, we need logic and lo I have given it.
I can't believe you two are arguing over a game as cartoony as Gears of War. None of the characters are proportioned anything like an actual human being.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Well it nice that there finally putting at least 1 women in a CoD game. Although i don't see why they don't in each modern day one. Women do play parts in most country's military.
But why can't they just make a female character not involved as a kind of 'black widow'.
It kind of bugs me

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Let me know when they make a decent fps with a female main character that isn't sexualized in any way.

Until then I can't be arsed to care.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
stukov961 said:
Let me know when they make a decent fps with a female main character that isn't sexualized in any way.

Half Life 2 has Alyx. Now all we need is Valve to come out with 3 before the end of the century.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
jamradar said:
A girl in a video game!?

THIS IS MADNESS!
No!!! THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!!!!! sorry i couldnt resist

i like women so it shouldnt be an issue, although there are too many little baby girls online on COD :)

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Gindil said:
stukov961 said:

Half Life 2 has Alyx. Now all we need is Valve to come out with 3 before the end of the century.
I meant a playable one, not just a support character.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
stukov961 said:
Gindil said:
stukov961 said:

I meant a playable one, not just a support character.
Then Fayth of Mirror's Edge seems the most likely. She has an athletic build and no boobs of steel.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Gindil said:
Then Fayth of Mirror's Edge seems the most likely. She has an athletic build and no boobs of steel.
Wouldn't call Mirror's Edge a First Preson shooter.
But yes faith is one of the few good examples of women in games.

Theninja'skatana

Aug 29, 2010
Hmm... girl,numbers,agent that equals either an AI or hacker(not possible with realism) or perhaps your chracter is recalling these events while in a psych ward and she's there with you.... or double agent?

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Women? In my Call of Duty?! INESCUSABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joking aside, I really hope they decide to cut her out. The only good stereotype is one that never sees the light of day...
There were World War 2 Call of Duty games that had female soldiers. I believe the Russians had a female sniper? Maybe?