Call of Duty: Ghosts Lets You Play as a Woman

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
BigTuk said:
I mean, as the article said, with the gear on the models you can't really tell.
That's even better actually.
It's not about having tits bobbing all over the place, it's about showing women as equals to men in combat situations.
Having a bunch of Lara Crofts running around in tanktops and hotpants would be stupid as hell.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
VanBasten said:
BigTuk said:
I mean, as the article said, with the gear on the models you can't really tell.
That's even better actually.
It's not about having tits bobbing all over the place, it's about showing women as equals to men in combat situations.
Having a bunch of Lara Crofts running around in tanktops and hotpants would be stupid as hell.
What this guy said. That's even better, showing the women as equals. Not that I'm totally against the tank-top look, I do think it's kinda cool for both genders as long as it's not showing off too much skin.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
So progressive /sarcasm.

I don't understand all the hooplah about this. So you can play as a girl, big deal. I could play as a female in Halo and L4D as well.

Holler at me when COD actually does something good/different/progressive/whatever.
Maybe we've gone backwards so much that this really is something progressive... idk.
I'm not very tuned into the COD world or even shooters in general so I might be wrong,
but has the community there devolved to the point that a different character model is significantly progressive?

kinda bittersweet... I suppose.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Pretend the game is an entirely new franchise. Pretend no one knew about it until a few days ago, and it is the first game in the series. Pretend it has no fanbase yet, and that it has no history. Now is the fact that you can play as a woman still 'progressive'? No it fucking isn't, because games have had that for over 20 years.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Christ, the cynicism and smugness here is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

If they didn't add female models, people would whine about how it's a "dudebro" game and misogynistic and blah blah.

They do add female models, and everyone whines about how it didn't happen fast enough.

Can't we just play games and enjoy ourselves without everything turning into this giant litmus test about whether it's 'progressive' enough to meet our standards?

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Denamic said:
Pretend the game is an entirely new franchise. Pretend no one knew about it until a few days ago, and it is the first game in the series. Pretend it has no fanbase yet, and that it has no history. Now is the fact that you can play as a woman still 'progressive'? No it fucking isn't, because games have had that for over 20 years.
Pretend you understand the concept of context for a minute and you might realize that yes, unfortunately, it is still a big deal when a modern military shooter game finally depicts a contemporary female as equally competent to a male, and fit to fight on the front lines.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
BigTuk said:
And you needed the game devs to explicitly state and put a woman in to 'see' a woman in CoD.
So you're saying why bother depicting women equal to men, when all you have to do is imagine that half the men are women?

Mind blown, you just fixed gender inequality, not just in games, but throughout the world, well done! ::rolleyes::

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Call of Duty has always been been a "boys game." Often associated with frat boys and "dudebros," an average match would see more obscenities flung than a sailor on shore leave.
I have never understood this. What, are sailors trained in generating profanities on deck day? Why are sailors automatically assumed have the blackest mouths of all humans everywhere?
And if you think a sailor's vocabulary is purely satanic, you should listen to an off-duty tank crew. It is astounding how many curses one can hear in three sentences.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Well, frankly, to be honest, I care about this series now. At least enough to research it when it comes out for details. If we can have bots in multiplayer matches I really don't have a reason to not buy this game, AFAIK as it being a sausage-fest, and the community are largely what drove me away.

Also, I wonder if Jim had any impact on the decision?

Nah, prolly the recent lawsuit to allow women on the front lines in the US, but I'd like to think Jim's actually changing the gaming industry, that brilliant, brilliant guy. :p

It doesn't take much to make someone feel included, damnit! And inclusion is a good thing!

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
It makes me sad that this is considered special, and not just because female playable characters are not the slightest bit new to shooters. Can we just start thinking of women as being other people already?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
VanBasten said:
Denamic said:
Pretend you understand the concept of context for a minute and you might realize that yes, unfortunately, it is still a big deal when a modern military shooter game finally depicts a contemporary female as equally competent to a male, and fit to fight on the front lines.
Being less regressive does not mean it's progressive. The context is not just modern military shooters, but all of gaming. Having a female playable character is not a big deal, and the fact that having one is considered newsworthy is nothing short of embarrassing.

Also, you weren't condescending enough. Try harder next time.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Denamic said:
The context is not just modern military shooters, but all of gaming. Having a female playable character is not a big deal
Yes, because apparently ever since Mrs. Pacman women have been fairly and equally represented in all of gaming...

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
As much as I dislike the CoD series, I will give them credit for being one of the first AAA shooters in a while (apart from Halo) to have female PC's.
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 did it. As did Ghost recon.

In any case, it will still be a 'Bro' game multiplayer wise despite the ability to change genders. I do hope that allow to play as your multiplayer PC in singleplayer, because that's the only thing I am planning on getting this game for if it's good.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
VanBasten said:
Denamic said:
The context is not just modern military shooters, but all of gaming. Having a female playable character is not a big deal
Yes, because apparently ever since Mrs. Pacman women have been fairly and equally represented in all of gaming...
Yes, because that's what I said. Let's go with that.

Jun 6, 2012
Wow the amount of cynicism in this thread is making my head hurt. Can't we just accept that something good happened, even if its not entirely progressive?

Seriously, idk whats worse - the CoD fanbois or the CoD hate train.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
Can we stop plugging this gender politics crap, please.

It's never been an issue in video games and continues to not be an issue. Playing as a girl is nothing new.

Captcha: egg on

Ha, hah.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
So? This isn't news. You can play as a boy or girl. WooHoo. Gender selection has been available in games since I started playing them in the '90s.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
It's taken them this long?

Holy fuuuuuuuuuuuck.
I'm more surprised the males are sensibly and heavily armoured while the females aren't in army print bikinis to be honest.

Hopefully soon adding a female option won't be seen as newsworthy.