Call of Duty: Ghosts Lets You Play as a Woman

funkyjiveturkey

Jan 18, 2013
i can't believe that this culture has gotten to the point where a woman in call of duty makes the news as if it's so shocking and ground breaking. then again i suppose it adds a certain amount of realism call of duty so sorely needs.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
VanBasten said:
Noswad said:
and in the super advance age of 2013 this happening is considered news.
Women in this super advanced age of 2013 still aren't allowed to serve in front line combat in the US military.
Here they are, hence it's considered news.
Actually, according to Wikipedia the ban on women in combat has been lifted:
In 1994 the Department of Defense officially banned women from serving in combat but on January 24, 2013, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta removed the military's ban on women serving in combat, which was instituted in 1994. Implementation of these rules is ongoing. There is some speculation that this could lead to women having to register with the Selective Service System.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_combat#United_States
I'm actually surprised this hasn't been a bigger deal.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Magenera said:
That's because the failure rate is high as hell as in no one has yet to pass the lowest threshold to get in, not to mention female soldiers are more expensive than male soldiers, with added benefits of having inferior stats. The only way to counteract the stats is steroids, but we can do the same to males and get a better result, not to mention the ethics in question of doing so.

Basically US sticking with status quo, save lives, and is cheaper, but hurt women feelings. Changing it, would mean jack shit as only statistical outliers would make it, thus running the issue of people trying to change it, to make it fair and equal, and creating a disaster, where you're feeling good, but the end result is increase death. Hell were talking about this thing right now. Having to change the standards so we can get frontline female soldiers, instead of none, because none can make the cut.
You seem to be confusing actual soldiers to the dudebro unkillable superhuman versions in modern shooter games.
I ain't touching the rest of your sexist rant with a 20 foot pole.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
VanBasten said:
Magenera said:
That's because the failure rate is high as hell as in no one has yet to pass the lowest threshold to get in, not to mention female soldiers are more expensive than male soldiers, with added benefits of having inferior stats. The only way to counteract the stats is steroids, but we can do the same to males and get a better result, not to mention the ethics in question of doing so.

Basically US sticking with status quo, save lives, and is cheaper, but hurt women feelings. Changing it, would mean jack shit as only statistical outliers would make it, thus running the issue of people trying to change it, to make it fair and equal, and creating a disaster, where you're feeling good, but the end result is increase death. Hell were talking about this thing right now. Having to change the standards so we can get frontline female soldiers, instead of none, because none can make the cut.
You seem to be confusing actual soldiers to the dudebro unkillable superhuman versions in modern shooter games.
I ain't touching the rest of your sexist rant with a 20 foot pole.
I like how when somebody presents you with sound reasoning, rather than replying with logic to counteract his argument you just shout SEXISM and ignore what he said.

OT: There is no point in dismissing this as anything but a good thing, yes it's late and it really shouldn't be big news but it has finally been implemented and other games may just follow the lead.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Wait?

There's an option to play as a female character now?

That's actually pretty impressive. ... Shame that I still think CoD Ghosts doesn't look worth the price of an immediate retail purchase... or worth justifying me moving to next-gen.

Dansrage

Nov 9, 2010
Halo is an equally large FPS and has been doing this for years, and was before the whole "feminism in videogames" fad.
I never hear anyone praised for being inclusive, nobody ever said "You can play as a man, a woman or alien in Halo it's so progressive", I just hear of games that don't let you choose your sex being attacked.
I think the people who care about this kind of thing just want something to be outraged about, or just don't know a damn thing about videogames.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Hopefully they will get around to making a decent single-player campaign like they used to do back in the day, while they're going all out trying to appease very vocal social media gaming hipsters that don't play Call Of Duty anyway.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Same here. I mean, its nice, but to me its not that big of a deal. Not enough to start screaming "WOW SO PROGRESSIVE" anyway.

Also, the woman in the trailer looks shit. It looks like an alien thats undercover on the earth, desperately trying to blend in but just looking weird and creepy in the process. Uncanny valley anyone? /nitpicking
Interesting that a female military person has long hair. But yeah, she looked creepy and I had to pause the screen to evaluate whether or not it was a guy with long hair or a girl.

As far as progressive, this game is a realistic shooter. It's never going to get more progressive than "realistic". You can only get so real before any step in a different direction is a detraction from reality.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I never liked the CoD games I found them quite boring. The addition of playable female Characters shouldn't be news or be a big selling point for this series. Women should of been in the game at least in CoD MW the fact that this is being promoted just shows how little ideas they have left and are hoping this will somehow increase sales.