Call of Duty Hits $3 Billion

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Call of Duty Hits $3 Billion

Activision's Call of Duty franchise has passed the $3 billion sales mark.

Acitivision has announced that the Call of Duty franchise has passed three billion dollars in global sales following the release of Modern Warfare 2 and it's estimated $550 million in sales in its first week. Acitivision also said that the franchise had sold over 55 million units since its creation in 2003.

"If you consider the number of hours our audiences are engaged in playing 'Call of Duty' games, it is likely to be one of the most viewed of all entertainment experiences in modern history," said Acitivision boss Bobby Kotick.

With Activision rumored to be adding a third studio [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96226-Rumor-Activision-Adding-Third-Studio-to-Call-of-Duty-Series] to the development team, it seems that the juggernaut that is Call of Duty is in little danger of slowing down.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i09f748f4cc1576f10bc3dd59668a9d7d? ]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Can you hear that? That's the sound of Bobby Kotick jerking off with a handful of 100 dollar bills.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Well, hooray for Infinity Ward. In my personal opinion, they've earned every penny!

[small]And let me just clarify my position as a gamer by saying that Activision didn't earn any of it![/small]

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Wow, Some bad series rake in money, but this is preposterous, and if it wins game of the decade, I for one, am going to be pissed off.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
The DSM said:
Wow, Some bad series rake in money, but this is preposterous, and if it wins game of the decade, I for one, am going to be pissed off.
And the hate continues.

OT: Nicely done Infinity Ward, keep em coming.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The game is good. IW can't help their boss is an asshole. They made a great game and i'm glad they're suceeding.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
Three Billion?

Psh, that's chump change.
*Fixed.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
dududf said:
Old Trailmix said:
Three Billion?

*Fixed.

Chunk Change > Chump Change.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
dududf said:
Old Trailmix said:
Three Billion?

*Fixed.

Chunk Change > Chump Change.
That analogy made no sense...

But beyond that, what on earth is "Cunk Change" also in the way you were typing it you were saying like "Pfft that's nothing", and thus I thought you meant "ChuMP change" from which would fit marvelously in your sentence.

I assumed you had a typo o_O

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Good for Infinity Ward, but...

This just shows that most people don't care about things originality or artistic direction in games, it's a shame that more creative games will be lost in the shadow of generic war games like MW2.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Dear Escapist,

The fact that Call of Duty is successful is not news. I love you, but please please please stop pretending anyone cares. Everyone is firmly rooted in their camps, the people who are disappointed with mankind, and people who are addicted to an excellently produced but mundane-in-concept shooter.

Your eternal friend,
Crunchy

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I think this could be chalked up to "Marketing > all".
I watched the campaign played on the latest version, wasn't that pleased. Multiplayer... there's a disconnect in feeling when you play it. It doesn't actually feel like you're killing someone, just that you're knocking over a duck at the fair with an air gun.

I played MW1 and COD5. I can see why the games have become popular, espcecially with MW. I just hope that future games can have content that live up to the amount of hype the ads dish out.