Call of Duty: Modern Warfare TWO??!!??!

Jul 9, 2008
Raven28256 said:
For the people who aren't sure: Yes, this IS by Infinity Ward. Infinity Ward and Treyarch trade off each year, so it is Infinity Ward's turn. Besides which, Activision confirmed that IW is making "Call of Duty 6 (Working title; seems to be named "Modern Warfare 2" now)" a while back.

Anyone hoping that it isn't a direct sequel or anything? And that we have some different enemies? I don't really want to fight Russians and Arabs again; they are in every other modern warfare game already too...Gives us a new, fictional modern war in a new place. Hell, let us take a whack at the Chinese or something...

Actually, that would make Modern Warfare 2 the second modern shooter in 2009 to have us fight the Chinese. Operation Flashpoint 2 is the US vs China.

Also...Is anyone else irked that we don't see enough countries as the "good guys" that aren't the US or UK? Who wants Modern Warfare 2 to be REALLY edgy, risky, and controversial and not include the US or UK? Why can't we play as, say, Israel or Germany or something? Am I the only one who is getting bored with the same two or three "good guy" countries saving the day?
I see where your coming from, and here's how I see it: If it must be a British/American situation, continue the previous story, 'cause I like Price, Soap and Gaz (even though Gaz is dead and Price probably is too). Otherwise, another country would be nice.

Or here's a thought: maybe we could have separate campaigns for each side. I know it doesn't seem Cod-y, that's only because the series began as WWII, and who wants to play as Nazis?

EDIT:
fish food carl said:
You know what I don't get about WaW? That it's WW2. Fine, they discovered a popular theme, used it until IW made CoD4... awesomely popular game, awards, money, huge fanbase. Why would they not take the fucking hint and stay with Modern Warfare? It baffles me, that they would ignore the mountainous piles of cash CoD4 generated.
It probably began development before Cod4 generated such massive amounts of cash, and when it did, they were too far along to stop. To begin with, they were probably reacting to all the people going "Why would you go to modern times? if it aint broke, don't fix it."

Raven28256

Sep 18, 2008
orannis62 said:
Raven28256 said:
For the people who aren't sure: Yes, this IS by Infinity Ward. Infinity Ward and Treyarch trade off each year, so it is Infinity Ward's turn. Besides which, Activision confirmed that IW is making "Call of Duty 6 (Working title; seems to be named "Modern Warfare 2" now)" a while back.

Anyone hoping that it isn't a direct sequel or anything? And that we have some different enemies? I don't really want to fight Russians and Arabs again; they are in every other modern warfare game already too...Gives us a new, fictional modern war in a new place. Hell, let us take a whack at the Chinese or something...

Actually, that would make Modern Warfare 2 the second modern shooter in 2009 to have us fight the Chinese. Operation Flashpoint 2 is the US vs China.

Also...Is anyone else irked that we don't see enough countries as the "good guys" that aren't the US or UK? Who wants Modern Warfare 2 to be REALLY edgy, risky, and controversial and not include the US or UK? Why can't we play as, say, Israel or Germany or something? Am I the only one who is getting bored with the same two or three "good guy" countries saving the day?
I see where your coming from, and here's how I see it: If it must be a British/American situation, continue the previous story, 'cause I like Price, Soap and Gaz (even though Gaz is dead and Price probably is too). Otherwise, another country would be nice.

Or here's a thought: maybe we could have separate campaigns for each side. I know it doesn't seem Cod-y, that's only because the series began as WWII, and who wants to play as Nazis?

EDIT:
fish food carl said:
You know what I don't get about WaW? That it's WW2. Fine, they discovered a popular theme, used it until IW made CoD4... awesomely popular game, awards, money, huge fanbase. Why would they not take the fucking hint and stay with Modern Warfare? It baffles me, that they would ignore the mountainous piles of cash CoD4 generated.
It probably began development before Cod4 generated such massive amounts of cash, and when it did, they were too far along to stop. To begin with, they were probably reacting to all the people going "Why would you go to modern times? if it aint broke, don't fix it."
First, frankly, I miss the days when Call of Duty had three campaigns, all of which were fairly lengthy...But, that was before the days of "RAWR!!! Activisionzilla WANTS MORE CASH!!! Call of Duty every year!" and started forcing developers to pump out Call of Duty games in short amounts of time.

And yes, you are right. Because Activisionzilla hungers for cash and demands a new Call of Duty every year, IW and Treyarch must start development on the next game before the previous game is even in the alpha stages. So, they had already started on World at War before Modern Warfare came out.

flare09

Aug 6, 2008
I would like to see a sequel for it. However my friends liked it at first, but suddenly hated it... Maybe they'll get interested in this one. I doubt it but whatever.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
One day, people will get sick of all the Call of Duty games flooding the market and move on.

Mark my words.

Even 1 game a year seems excessive to me; especially when there's 2 companies working on the same franchise. Why not just stick with Infinity Ward, give them as much time as they need, and release maybe 1 game every 2 years?

Oh, right. Activision-Blizzard.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Just to fuck up the name for no reason, I'm calling it "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2" if that makes any sense at all.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
I just relised now we can find out what happend to Captain Price he and Gaz were my heros.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
How can you top a nuclear bomb?

Dude, there are MANY things you can do to top a nuclear bomb.
chemical weapons
biological agents

These offer tons of opportunities for global terror.

As far as having other countries as the 'good' guys in the new game...
The US is the world police, so it makes sense they would get involved in any problem.
Germany attempted world domination twice... hard to think of of any germans as a good guy
France: we surrender
Spain: not really a player
Israel/Italy: once your protaganist says God is on his side, he's officially an asshole
Middle east/China/Chechnia/Columbia/cuba: these are like textbook villians. Once your main character is one of these, terrorists really DO win.
Canada/Australia: Nice places to start out in Risk, but I wouldn't want to try war out of these countries in real life.

Well, I guess we could do something with a soldier from Ireland. Russians are a viable option to play these days as well. You would really have to be covert if you were from some special Japanese covert op squad.

I'm sure there are other countries out there, but they really don't matter in the long run.

Mr_Czar

Nov 19, 2008
gim73 said:
The US is the world police
And the world is so thankful for that. Where would we be without the US a-policin' us ?

P.S. Shouldn't it be "The US are the world police" ? Or is that only with British English?

Fatalis67

Apr 30, 2008
klc0100 said:
I just relised now we can find out what happend to Captain Price he and Gaz were my heros.
Captain Price died, you could see a Russian soldier pounding on his chest trying to revive him at the end. And good ol' Mr. Zakhaev executed Gaz on the bridge. No disrespect to my favorite character, but boom, headshot.

Jul 9, 2008
Fatalis67 said:
klc0100 said:
Captain Price died, you could see a Russian soldier pounding on his chest trying to revive him at the end. And good ol' Mr. Zakhaev executed Gaz on the bridge. No disrespect to my favorite character, but boom, headshot.
And he didn't even see it coming, he was looking at you, and BAM!

We don't know that Price is dead. The soldier might have revived him. Right? Right!? [/fanboy rant]

Raven28256

Sep 18, 2008
zoozilla said:
One day, people will get sick of all the Call of Duty games flooding the market and move on.

Mark my words.

Even 1 game a year seems excessive to me; especially when there's 2 companies working on the same franchise. Why not just stick with Infinity Ward, give them as much time as they need, and release maybe 1 game every 2 years?

Oh, right. Activision-Blizzard.
Finally, someone agrees with me! I may like Call of Duty, but really, I would like to see IW become the only developer and start releasing games every three years or so. But alas...Activision, like so many supercompanies, thinks that quantity > quality...After all, people buy Call of Duty in the millions anyway, why not cut back on the experience offered per game and try to maximize profits by releasing one per year?

gim73 said:
How can you top a nuclear bomb?

Dude, there are MANY things you can do to top a nuclear bomb.
chemical weapons
biological agents

These offer tons of opportunities for global terror.

As far as having other countries as the 'good' guys in the new game...
The US is the world police, so it makes sense they would get involved in any problem.
Germany attempted world domination twice... hard to think of of any germans as a good guy
France: we surrender
Spain: not really a player
Israel/Italy: once your protaganist says God is on his side, he's officially an asshole
Middle east/China/Chechnia/Columbia/cuba: these are like textbook villians. Once your main character is one of these, terrorists really DO win.
Canada/Australia: Nice places to start out in Risk, but I wouldn't want to try war out of these countries in real life.

Well, I guess we could do something with a soldier from Ireland. Russians are a viable option to play these days as well. You would really have to be covert if you were from some special Japanese covert op squad.

I'm sure there are other countries out there, but they really don't matter in the long run.
You actually have a point...24 used a nuclear bomb in Season 2, and yet Season 7 is about to start. They topped the nuclear bomb in Season 2 with bioterrorism in Season 3, and topped that in Season 4 by just making the terrorists have an assload of interconnected plans.

I disagree with most of those arguments. Germany were the "bad guys" in both World Wars, but they are not only part of NATO now, but are one of the stronger members of NATO. By your logic, we should make the Brits the bad guys in all American video games because we fought them in the past.

Oh, and we can all have a good laugh about how the French are a bunch of pansies and such, but the modern French military is actually pretty powerful...They just don't get involved in a lot in the modern era.

I also find it rather sad that you write off the entire Middle East as nothing but terrorists, and say that having a Middle Eastern protagonist is like giving the terrorists a victory.

...And what do you mean that Colombia is a textbook villain? The US and Colombia generally share good relations, and we give them like 2.5 billion a year to help fund their war on drugs. Colombian drug cartels might be a famous type of villain, but Colombia in general?

Frankly, I'd like to see a modern military shooter featuring Israel. I mean, if you want a fictional modern war, that is pretty much one of the top ten places where making up a fictional war in modern times or the near future is pretty plausible. The game would be banned in most of the Middle East but...Well...I don't think developers get a whole lot of their profits from Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebanon, etc. etc...

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
I see nothing good about this. I have a huge bug in my ass saying "Modern Warfare will the new World War Two!" I agree with this bug because as developers are trying to get every buck they can, they'll recycle all the old characters and storylines from the first Modern Warfare and repeat them until they are simply flogging the FPS theme.

CoD4 is good. Let's not start making money off of it. After all, why tarnish a silver plate?

Fatalis67

Apr 30, 2008
orannis62 said:
Fatalis67 said:
klc0100 said:
And he didn't even see it coming, he was looking at you, and BAM!

We don't know that Price is dead. The soldier might have revived him. Right? Right!? [/fanboy rant]
No game has immersed me more than CoD4.

gim73 said:
I don't appreciate the dissing of Italy.

scoobyduped

Apr 6, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Wonder whether this will be a "sequel" in the sense of continuing the scenario of COD4 or a "sequel" in just being set in same time period as though the events of the last game didnt happen.
I'd say it'll be either the same war, from different points of view (like a different Marine, or the "good Russians"), or a different conflict that either lead up to, or resulted from the events of CoD4.

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
Jumplion said:
Just to fuck up the name for no reason, I'm calling it "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2" if that makes any sense at all.
It'll be like Final Fantasy X-2. Note: I really hope they call it Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2. That would be awesome.

scoobyduped

Apr 6, 2008
Dr Spaceman said:
Jumplion said:
It'll be like Final Fantasy X-2. Note: I really hope they call it Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2. That would be awesome.
And people thought Halo 3: ODST was a mouthful...

Portoparty

Feb 27, 2008
Raven28256 said:
how about being a JTF-2 operative? C8 ftw!

edit:

Actually, the Canadian Army is both better equipped and better trained than the American one (according to my sources) though it is small, ofcourse the NAVY on the other hand... Also JTF-2 is one of the best counter terrorism organizations in the world, with only one casualty ever http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTF_2 .