Calling a Kid the "C" Word

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Well, it looks like there's another reason to avoid engrossing myself in Twitter.

Jedi-Hunter4

Mar 20, 2012
TwistedEllipses said:
For my international readers, in the U.S. "the C word" (which I understand to be common to the point of casual use in the UK) is for whatever reason considered to be just about the worst anti-female insult one can utter.
Wait, what?
Maybe I'm not representative of the U.K. but I'm pretty sure it's treated as the worst swear word over here too. I'm not sure where Bob got this impression...

...oh yeah, I forgot about Jim and Yahtzee. They undermine my point somewhat.
I think he went a bit ott saying it's near common usage. Think it's more my impression is places like the state's you will NOT hear it on the tv or in a public place. Where as in the UK it can be on tv after watershed, if you go to a busy pub, a sporting event, anywhere there is either a large gathering of lad's or alcohol being consumed you will probably hear it if you keep your ear out.

tbh I don't really get why people analyse too deeply into swear words, when I call one of my mates a "wanker" I'm not saying "oooooow look at this guy he enjoys a bit of masturbation, laugh at him for this fact!" I'm normally referring to them behaving like a prat or an idiot. To my understanding "****" is more considered worse than say "twat" which carry the same literal meaning if i'm not mistaken because of its traditional affiliation to female prostitutes.

I think all words in the English language have their place (with a few exceptions ie. racial slurs which are best left in the past). An swear words shouldn't be offensive to the ear, only offensive if directed at you. For instance if I come out of my flat an someone has smashed up my Motorcycle for no reason what so every then think I would be justified in calling them a **** in that situation lol, without if the person who did it is a woman being accused of being "sexist" and derogatory to women as a sex. Most people with any sense who use the word are not thinking that complex about it. I mean if we apply that logic no woman should be allowed to call anyone a dick.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
I think at the end of the day though words only hurt if you let them and allowing yourself to be hurt by them because society tells you that you should be more offended by certain words is just putting yourself in a place to be offended.
If someone says something stupid you don't like the correct response is to ignore them and not deal with them. Getting mad/sad over the opinion of random people is just going to make things worse for you in the long run. Certainly there are people in your life who's opinions you do care about but your choosing wrong if they are the type who sling abusive and malicious words at you all the time. Also insults are all about context. No word is inherently taboo on it's meaning alone.

Also the cultural taboo and hatred towards any form of insult the husband makes against the wife is not one of correcting male privilege but can be argued to fall under the same category of gender expectations where men aren't allowed to hit women but not the other way around. The assumption being that men are emotional/physically strong enough to endure any form of abuse where women are not. Mr Funk one could argue the perceived weight of the insult of calling your wife a ***** in an argument verses that of her calling you a dick might have nothing to do with privilege, but it could just be more to do with you are taught young not to insult women and she's taught to take offense at certain words. As is proper for your gender rolls in marriage :3

Could be wrong... really don't know. I feel like there is a lack of understanding seeing as I'm in a two female household verses that of a male and a female. Just trying to analyze logically I suppose.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
knight steel said:
But don't we call young boys "dickheads" all the time yet **** is unacceptable?
Don't get me wrong I hate it when any person demeans someone else and think the twitter is in the wrong.
Also the fact of her age shouldn't factor into it,insulting anyone should be looked down upon.
However I do find the double standard between swears interesting.
In the US calling someone a dickhead is practically a compliment compared to calling a girl the c word. There's no comparison, one can barely be called a swear and the other could probably get you kicked out of a restaurant. Besides, calling a child "dickhead" is pretty inappropriate as well.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Good article. Thanks, by the way, for the acknowledgement that people overseas tend to be a LOT more relaxed about these kinds of things.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
OMFG, they actually referred to a 9-year old girl as a c**t?! Wow. I mean there's being an asshole, and then there's being an ASSHOLE...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
this is an interesting commentary on the RAZOR-THIN line comedy walks at all times. Comedy, despite what some people would like to believe, is a VERY calculated style and it must be done very carefully. Whoever wrote that on the Onion really should have thought "huh, is this a bit too far?" Comedy DOES exist to push boundaries, but it also must keep itself from being just mean-spirited

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Someone calls my child a ****....there will be blood. I find it amazing how many cowards hide behind anonymity, typing there little blurbs and quips. None of these people will say it in person just like none of you in the thread will call any decent parent's child a **** or a dickhead while in their presence.

It's like basic human decency died at the advent of the internet...

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I feel like it's been over a decade that I've been seeing the sentence "I can't tell the context of that thing the Onion said". It's like...The Onion, man. Anyway, I'll gladly back up their right to say something like this, but if you failed and people widely get pissed then you have to be grown up and make amends. It's not often that they apologize for an article, "news" piece, or anything...so good on them.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Mr_Terrific said:
Someone calls my child a ****....there will be blood. I find it amazing how many cowards hide behind anonymity, typing there little blurbs and quips. None of these people will say it in person just like none of you in the thread will call any decent parent's child a **** or a dickhead while in their presence.

It's like basic human decency died at the advent of the internet...
At some point you gotta just not care what other people say that hardly effects you. You can't resort to threats of violence when people saying something you don't like/incredibly stupid. You should dislike it sure, but it's also a really nice indicator of a person you shouldn't associate or interact with anymore.

Just step back and ask yourself. Does what this person say really affect me or those I care about? 95% of the time the answer will be no, and you should just ignore the person. Easy enough.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I think after reading Bob's post (I don't really follow the Onion so I didn't know about it previously) it seems like the particular type of satire they were going for could've been funny, but the actual tweet was way to blunt to be properly understood as such.

Also there's really a double standard with "the c-word." I mean, reducing a person to their genitals? Isn't that what a "dick" is?

NightowlM said:
Just because jaded, asshole gamers on xbox live believe that it's okay to say horrible things to children does not mean that it is generally socially acceptable. I guarantee that making fun of a little boy in the way that this little girl was made of would get the same kind of response. It's not about "double standards" between the sexes. It's that hurting children is not considered okay by anyone who is a decent human being.
I don't really think so, I mean if it's warranted, like a bunch of young boys defaced someone's house or something you'd hear them be called "little shits" or something along those lines.

rancher of monsters said:
All kids are not innocent flowers, but that doesn't mean they've all been subjected to everything or thinks it's appropriate even if they say it. I probably didn't start using language like that until I was thirteen, and I went to school with kids who wouldn't say things like that for many more years if at all. I can tell you that if you had called me a dickhead or a **** at the age of nine you probably would have seriously hurt my feelings, I was a sensitive kid in a family that didn't tolerate swearing. Does that mean there was something wrong with me? I don't think so, because as a person, especially an adult, communicating with or talking about another person you should have the empathy to understand or at least consider their experiences and, if you're an adult talking to/about a child, you should be able to scale your language to their level.
When I was younger we weren't allowed to say "stupid" and called it the "s-word," but when my younger sister who's only younger by six years went to elementary school, I would hear kids going around saying "fuck" like it's nothing so I mean, things change you know?

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
The only thing the Onion did wrong was their delivery of the joke. If they had done it as an actual article or video I'm sure it would have been funny. As a tweet it's not funny for a variety of reasons and that's the only thing a joke can do wrong.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
knight steel said:
Don't get me wrong I hate it when any person demeans someone else and think the twitter is in the wrong.
Also the fact of her age shouldn't factor into it,insulting anyone should be looked down upon.
In the US calling someone a dickhead is practically a compliment compared to calling a girl the c word. There's no comparison, one can barely be called a swear and the other could probably get you kicked out of a restaurant. Besides, calling a child "dickhead" is pretty inappropriate as well.
And that's what I don't get both I insulting someone by referring to them as just their genitals's so why such the large difference in reaction's? Why has society decided the crude version of vagina is so much worse than the crude version of penis. Thus why I called it a double standard and said it was interesting-you have just pointed out out the exact same thing I was getting at.
NightowlM said:
knight steel said:
Susan Arendt said:
knight steel said:
If they had called a 9-year-old boy a "dickhead," the reaction would've been the same, I promise you.
Somehow I doubt that, maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but still, just look at these forums many a time when discussing things such as FPS multiplayer you will see people insulting the 12 year old boys that play with such rude language yet we don't even blink.
Just because jaded, asshole gamers on xbox live believe that it's okay to say horrible things to children does not mean that it is generally socially acceptable. I guarantee that making fun of a little boy in the way that this little girl was made of would get the same kind of response. It's not about "double standards" between the sexes. It's that hurting children is not considered okay by anyone who is a decent human being.
Look at the above post I quoted, it's not just xbox live people, a large majority of society for some strange reason views the word "****" as more offensive and is why I think that if a boy was called "dick/cock" it would get a lesser response.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
rancher of monsters said:
My mistake, though I will say this about your response to Funk. You can talk about changing the standards of words, but you also have to accept that those words have their standards for a reason. Words are meant as a vehicle to communicate ideas and concepts and they often gather widely accepted sub-concepts amongst certain cultures. You're free to argue against those sub-concepts all you want, but you also have to be able to deal with the fact that a lot of people will either not want to change those sub-concepts or misunderstand what you're saying.
I know that that those words have their standards for a reason I just don't know what that reason is >_<
Also even if a lot of people will either not want to change those sub-concepts or misunderstand what I'm saying I have to at least try ^_^

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
ShadowKirby said:
JaredXE said:
Here's my question: Was she a ****?

I ask this because honestly, if she behaved in a way that would classify her as a ****, then in my opinion there is no problem saying it.
A) No she didn't.
B) SHE'S FUCKING 9! Do you make it an habit to go around insulting 9-year-olds?
So? 9 or 190 the Onion has never discriminated before. This apology honestly makes me incredibly depressed, the world is a worse place because they apologized for it. They didn't apologize for 9/11, they didn't apologize for their shooting jokes, but they apologize for language? If there's something that The Onion can't make a joke about I don't want to know about it, because it means we can't heal from it and it means we can't escape whatever tragedy it is.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Simply put it was not funny. She is a little kid so that is a fairly extreme insult for a little girl, and after the general shitfest that Seth McFarlane made with nothing but offensive humor it was not good timing.

Honestly this year's Oscar's was probably the worst in recent memory with seemingly no redeeming features. Just one long stream of racism, sexism and bad choices.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I call kids cunts all the time, because they often are behaving like little cunts. If a parent or someone overhears me and takes issue I retort with how I wouldn't call them a **** if they weren't being a **** then point out how they're being a ****.

I would call boys dickheads but that has more syllables which doesn't have the right flow and the word **** evokes more of someone doing something with no regard for other people whereas dickhead is more of a term for someone who annoys others because they think they're hot shit.

But it's America and folks there seem to really get up each other's cunts about the word **** and start acting like cunts when someone says ****.

It's an awesome word and is honestly not as bad or insulting as some folks get up in arms about.

I think it works because vaginas can be both awesome things one on day and in one scenario and horrible things on another day or in another scenario. Much like the word ****; it's only as bad as how you're using it.