Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Analysis

Jing the Bandit

Jan 4, 2010
MR T3D said:
at least almost all the others have appeal to both sexes, this.... this...

THIS IS MADNESS!
THIS... IS...
No, never-mind. I agree with you. This is, indeed, madness.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Good morning blues said:
Anybody who claims this is a bad idea knows nothing at all about culture studies. Twilight says a hell of a lot more about contemporary western cultures than anything Douglas Coupland's written in the past decade, even if it doesn't mean to.
That western cultures like books which have 20 pages dedicated to how Edward looks without his shirt on? Forgive my crudeness, but even a cursory examination of this series it appears as nothing more as shower nozzle masturbation material written by a lonely woman.

Oh hey, I guess I just earned a diploma from Cambridge.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
It's trash and it should be burned, that's all. It's time we got our WAAAAGH on and get rid of Twilight once and for all.

(This is just a joke, please don't hit me with a warning mods.)

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
*grabs gun and puts it in mouth* if my school gets this, I'm pulling the trigger. though, it is good that they said that video games can teach. some have deeper stories than twilight and will keep kids attentions, but we are focusing on just twilight.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
GodsAndFishes said:
Well if they're adding it to the curriculum, then it shall never be liked by children again surely?
Brilliant!
There is still hope for the future! (Although it's not much.)

It doesn't seem hard to know what the Twilight fans like... a mediocre romance plot is one of those things.
They should stick to Shakespeare and the like.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I can see how this turns out

"Alright students, when Bella accepts her abusive boyfriend/stalker for the past murderer that he is, what does that signify"
"That she's insane, and really messed up."
"No"

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
This is fair enough, though. I don't envy those who have to study it, but that doesn't mean that there is no legitimate reason to do exactly that.

When something is as popular yet critically pathetic as the Twilight franchise, either the writer won a lottery and managed to put their hand on the pulse of a generation's desires, or the writer cynically attempted to appeal to a gullible audience with no sense of taste in literature. (Not to mention, they got the eye of a publisher capable of giving them worldwide fame, which any writer will tell you is fantastically difficult.)

If there is a cynical approach to its writing, then Twilight is worthy of analysis merely for how it appealed to that audience. Cambridge isn't stupid enough to ignore something that breaks so many records, even if it is poor from a reviewer's point of view. After all, to a degree in the world of literature, all publicity is good publicity.

Nevertheless, the Harry Potter works would have been a better choice for many reasons. I suppose the main reason why that is avoided like the plague is that every person past a certain age has already read it, except the teachers. Teachers prefer to have the advantage and be ahead of their students so that classes have a meaning, and that would be impossible when every one of their students probably knows the difference between a Nargle and a Thestral. Then there's the fact that some will know it better than others, who know it backwards, straight off the bat. But Twilight has that problem as well.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
DrDeath3191 said:
Studying the impact of media on kids is an interesting field of study. I just wish they'd pick a better book than Twilight. Replace that with Artemis Fowl, or the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and we'll be golden.
Someone else read the Bartimaeus Trilogy? Hooray!

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
scotth266 said:
DrDeath3191 said:
Studying the impact of media on kids is an interesting field of study. I just wish they'd pick a better book than Twilight. Replace that with Artemis Fowl, or the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and we'll be golden.
Someone else read the Bartimaeus Trilogy? Hooray!
Yup. They're good books, what can I say?

sgtjawa

Apr 14, 2009
Okay, this is pretty terrible... does anyone outside of the internet realize that Twilight is a terrible book?

Also, I first read the thread title as "Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Anal" due to it being cut off.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
WorldCritic said:
SON OF A *****! Damn it! WHY? It doesn't have an impact on children it has an impact on moronic teenage girls and middle-aged women. Why the fuck would they do something so horrible?
My mom teaches 4th grade. Her kids read the Twilight books. Sorry. : /

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Elesar said:
I'm entirely against this. I understand it's a pop culture thing and I understand it's a phenomenom but it's not worthy of study, because there is NOTHING underneath it. You want to study a pop culture thing? Study the 2004 Battlestar Galactica. Study District 9 or Moon. Study Final Fantasy VII or Silent Hill 2. Fuck, you want vampires? Study Let the Right One In. Those are all things that have deeper meanings and, more importantly are well made. Shit is shit. Don't care how popular it is, nothing can unshit the shit. I don't care why people like this shit, STUDYING it will make them feel more justified in liking it.
Next thing you know we'll be studying Jonas Brothers alongside the Beatles in music.
It seems more likely that they're studying from a cultural perspective - why it's popular, considering its qualities (or lack thereof), and what writers should do to make a similarly powerful impact on teenagers, without being quite so shit. It's the fact of the phenomenon which is an interesting study, more than the merits of the book alone - after all, when the most well-known book of a generation holds such a reprehensible message, surely it's important to try and find why it can be so successful, in spite of its numerous flaws?

Space Cowgirl

Oct 21, 2009
You're kidding me right? Twilight doesn't need to be read in schools, it needs to be purged from the collective social mind and sent to the deepest circle of literary hell! They needs stuff like Artemis Fowl and the Bartimaeus trilogy!

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
I just thought of a possible solution. Require that all students studying Twilight in school also read Bram Stoker's Dracula (and, if they want to add some more pop culture, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). Then they'll realize that the old-school vampires are much cooler than the glittery new ones.

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Thank God i've left school is all i can say.

Well, that and Burst Limit was the best game since Budokai 3 (screw this open-world malarky).

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Article said:
If what we regard as trash is popular with young people, we need to know why ...
Wasn't there an article on the escapist a while ago that actually determined why twilight was popular? I'm pretty sure it was because it had the "Unpopular, tragic, misfit girl gets the dream-boy, becomes immortal, is desired by pretty much everybody and ends up being the hero" plot.

OT: If this ends up happening anywhere in Australia I will either a) burn every copy of the book ever (virtual or real, it matters not, fire will destroy it) OR b) lose all faith in humanity and go on a murderous rampage ... alternatively I'll just cry myself to sleep at night, and cry myself awake, and cry the food down my throat, and cry my work finished, and cry my way home, and cry mmyself to sleep, etc.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
blimey. well i approve of harry potter. maybe with twilight they'll work out how meyer has managed to create this form of strawberry-flavoured chocolate in writing. You know, foul-tasting and wrong in every sense of the world, yet loved unfailingly by young teenage girls the world over.