Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Analysis

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
LewsTherin said:
You know, as much as I revile that decision, they make a good point. We can finally figure out why people like this rubbish.
Because girls like to see how bad a relationship can be. This will cause them to, either feel good about being single or, make them happy about their current relationship. Oh, and vampires are apparently hot.

Aug 25, 2009
It does kinda depend on what exactly is being studied I guess. If this is being studied as part of an English course I condemn the move in every way, since this is not a worthy addition to the literary canon.

If it's being studied as part of a course on cultural phenemona, then like it or not, Twilight has become a phenomena, and is by those criteria worthy of study.

That said, I wouldn't class this as children's literature one way or the other, so it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the course. And also, I guess, they are doing people a favour in that everyone who studies it will hate it, so every little helps I guess.

Deadpool062

Jul 9, 2008
MR T3D said:
at least almost all the others have appeal to both sexes, this.... this...

THIS IS MADNESS!
THIS IS SPARTA! sorry couldn't resist. OT: Oh really, well just seems like demographic work to me, but theres probably more behind it than that

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Urgh, at least the Harry Potter books are well written, Twilight is some of the worst writing ever, and that's not even counting the plot.

DarkRyter said:
This is not arousing at all. I'm totally not in the mood for sex anymore.
Okay I'm jealous of my first Avatar...damn you.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I can only see two possible things to come about this; it can either help young students distinguish the difference between what are well written stories or single out the brainwashed idiots who gush over such dross as Twilight.

I mean, let's look at what each subject can offer:
Video Games - While story may be put on the back-burner for some, most games have very well made physics systems. Hell, Half-Life 2 can be a lesson all by itself. While it can be a useful tool for demonstrations that don't require many supplies, you can just as easily do this with basic objects in the classroom.

Comic Books - Not only can these be used for stories, they can help paint a background for American history and pop-culture during the eras they were in publication. And, can also provide examples for psychological personalities and afflictions. (Example: Hank Pym [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Pym])

Television - You can pretty much copy and paste my example for comics here, since they're pretty similar.

I will say that once Harry Potter was added to the curriculum back when I was in grade school that got me hooked into reading. I was never much of a reader before. Now, I've collected and read a few books. Most of my time is spent reading comics, but it's still reading nonetheless.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You know what would be a good person to analyze in Literature?

DOUGLAS. FUCKING. ADAMS.

Fuck this Twilight shit, the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy would be a much better novel for people to read.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
yes, as a study of how pop culture can turn shit into shit full of diamonds.

But nothing else. It should be a college course work load, as it has too garbage themes for anything above middle school and a high school girl might actually like it.

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
MR T3D said:
at least almost all the others have appeal to both sexes, this.... this...

THIS IS MADNESS!
-quiet-

I'm not gonna say it.
-quiet-
This is SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...damn.

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
You know what would be a good person to analyze in Literature?

DOUGLAS. FUCKING. ADAMS.

Fuck this Twilight shit, the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy would be a much better novel for people to read.
Truer words have never been spoken.

john_alexander

Aug 16, 2008
I think this could possibly have a good effect (just hear me out on this one). Most of the time in English classes, when we read an assigned book, we sometimes had to discuss it, and at the very least always had to do a book report. Teachers can now explain to their students the stupidity that is Twilight. When they have to analyze it, rather than mindlessly suck it up, they might realize it's a story about two incredibly stupid teenagers in an incredibly violent and horrid relationship.

Probably not, but it's worth a try. It's not like putting Twilight into the curriculum is going to get it any more exposure than it already has; the stupidity can't really spread any further than it already has.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
What's there to analyze ? It's Stephenie Meyer's sexual fantasy that she wrote a book about. Yeah I guess you could analyze how it became popular but that'll just end with the same verdict of "sex sells" this just happens to be a rare instance that appeals to chicks.

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
I was going to post a predictable knee-jerk reaction that shows I didn't even properly read the article, but I'd just be repeating what so many have already said so erm... yeah.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Personally, I think this is a good move. Yes, Twilight is trash blah blah blah blah, but from my understanding, a lot of the analysis seems to be rooted in the popularity of these items, and the factors which give them such broad and sweeping appeal. This definitely doesn't apply to Twilight, but I loved the Harry Potter books, and I wouldn't mind studying them. The title of this article is also very misleading, as they're also going to study video games. So, even if you despise Twilight, it's not all bad.

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
Her writing style is horrible.

Her content is pretty interesting. I'm not saying it is original. But its popularity speaks volumes.

And like most things, popularity attracts the attention of universities.

From a cultural perspective, it may end up revealing some interesting results.