Can a good story make up for weak gameplay?

MikhailGH

Jun 11, 2010
Yes of course, but its usually the combination of both that makes a game the game of the year/decade/century :p

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
If the story is good and the gamplay crap, you could just wait for somebody to post a playthrough on youtube, or maybe rent it.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
Silent Hill. Case in point.

Waving a nail board around in the second one was about as smooth as the rusted walls but the story was great so I kept going.

Firefly22

Sep 3, 2008
I recently bought Planescape Torment from GOG. The actual gameplay is pretty poor to be honest but the story and setting are incredible. I think im close to finishing it but i dont want it to end.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Only if the story is truly redeeming, and that has to be on all fronts. Voice acting, character development, depth, and progression all have to be top notch in order for me to overlook a game that isn't that fun to play.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
If a story is good enough it can make up for flaws in gameplay and vice versa.
Good Story, Bad Gameplay: Heavy Rain
Bad Story, Good Gameplay: Jet Set Radio Future

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Weak gameplay, absolutely. A good story can save an otherwise mediocre game. If the game is unplayable, on the other hand... sometimes, but usually no. The ideal game has a great fusion of all aspects.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
kman123 said:
Play The Darkness mate. It's the epitome of insane. Best story I've ever experienced in a game, and the gameplay is pretty shoddy. Didn't stop me replaying it a billion times though.
Ironically, the in-game story development was top notch, even though the gameplay was rather lackluster.(man I love that game so much)

OT: For me, the worse the gameplay, the better the story had be. And vice versa.
i love fighting games, because their gameplay is so solid and fun, but I seriously don't expect much from the story. If it has one, then all the better.
Conversly, Im playing personna 3 right now for psp, and I find the combat boring as fuck. I like the story, and the way you get stronger by interacting with other people is a really cool way to level. SO it all balances out for me.
Disgaea also did this for me. I like grid based tactics games, but after a while it got boring. The only reason I kept playing was to watch the commercials.(yes, the game had commercials......don't ask.....)

Negatempest

May 10, 2008

I know there is only so many people that played the PSone version of this game. But this is a PERFECT example of a game with subpar gameplay, but a story that REALLY pulled you in and you wanted to know more.

This is a very rare type of JRPG where a young boy grows up into a great man/warrior. Not Cloud from FF7 kind of man, but John Marshton from RDR kind of man.