Can a good story make up for weak gameplay?

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Assuming we're talking about VIDEO games here...

Gameplay cant take the place of story, because the idea behind VIDEO games is that the gameplay makes the story happen, or makes the story proceed (IE, the interactive element; you play a part of the world you're observing). Now, if you were to take away EVERYTHING that makes a story effective (conflict, setting, pacing, etc.), you'd be playing a simulator. The difference between a video game and a simluator is that one is designed for entertainment, while the other is designed mainly for just percieving a constructed environment (my opinion).

Long story short, pressing buttons gets old fucking fast for me nowadays. If the progress Im making on screen isnt enrapturing, its not a good game.

Paulie92

Mar 6, 2010
I find it easier to play a game with a bad story and good gameplay than the other way around. Otherwise I'm merely working hard to unlock the next bit of story and some small part of me rebels against this

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
A good story can make up weak gameplay and vice-versa for me. What both can't do is make up for an abysmal showing of one or the other. Maybe great gameplay can get me through an absolutely terrible story, luckily, I've never played a game with THAT bad a story.

The only games that can get past that rule are retro games. They're allowed to have subpar stories. Nostalgia gets them by.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
It depends...<.< I mean you can't have non existent gameplay and a good story... it has to at least be functional...<.<

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
Possible, but mostly depends on how bad the gameplay is.

The Gameplay can be so horrible that I don't care for the game regardless of story.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Okami on Wii was terrible because of the damn waggle controls but it's my favorite game because of the story.

PuffyMuffin92

May 15, 2010
Of course when you think about mass effect. The controls, while functional, were not good to be honest. But thanks to the amazing story, this can be overlooked.

ShatterPalm

Sep 25, 2010
of course it can. Silent hill 2 and Fire Emblem are great examples. Silent hill has horrid camera positioning and worse combat, and Fire Emblem is strategic turn based combat. Admittedly, I love the STB Combat part, but still. Point is, it's the immersion argument. A great story is one point to the immersion that a lot of game creators overlook. If they wrote characters that were relateable, and a story that explains them and what's going on around them, then you want to keep playing just to see what happens next.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
Yes, all the time. For me, anyways. If the story's (and characters) good, I can suffer through mediocre gameplay. I've done it many times before, actually. xD

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Nope.

If I just wanted a good story, I'd read a book.
I think we have a winner. A good story certainly doesn't hurt, but I'm not going to slog my way through a crappy experience to get at it when there is already plenty of amazing literature out there. The books are even polite enough to let me progress as I please.

Frankly, I don't understand anyone who would rank story above gameplay concerns.

TBR

Nov 23, 2009
wgreer25 said:
Will try to keep everything spoiler free since I will be talking about my recent experience with a game...

So I recently finished Enslaved: and I have to say that it had a wonderful story, excelent voice acting, great character development and development of character relationships without getting sappy, and some of the best facial animations I have seen in any game... but the gameplay is a resounding meh (not bad by any means, just meh)... but I found myself wanting to keep playing to see how the story and how the characters develope. Not GOTY material, but considering that most games now-a-days don't even know what a story is or how to develope a charater, I was pleasantly surprised by Enslaved.

So, to discuss, have you had this experience? Where a great story/character has made you want to finish a game dispite it's gameplay flaws. What was the game, and what about it made you forget it's shortcomings.
Enslaved was interesting because it's gameplay is pretty much just an unfinished version of Uncharted 2, even down to the physics, except sometimes you can jump around and under corners like physics just died in a fire or they've mapped your jumping position to part of gollum. For that reason, playing the game immediately after Uncharted 2 is a pretty bad idea because it feels really bad.

Anyway, games have relied on stories to make up for gameplay. inb4 flame suit...

Fallout 3. This managed to be both a very very broken FPS/TPS and a completely useless RPG game AT THE SAME TIME, and there is no aspect of combat throughout the game that changes that in the slightest. The FPS option is a horrid, uselessly bad experience and a massive 110% of the statistics and numbers that Bethesda uses to make the 'RPG' element of the game are so arbitrary a small child could build you a character and it would make bugger-all difference.
BUT, it had a nice delicious world to explore (and it looked good with the visual overhaul mods available), and what little story there was (Dad's gone, go find him, he was building a water purification system, and that's about it, apart from the side missions) were just one big invitation to explore the world.

Mass Effect and Bioshock. These two both had beautifully realised worlds, some nice characterization and great dialogue. They were a joy to behold. Unfortunately, that's where the good bit ends, because then you have to play the games. The sequels didn't have the impact of the originals because they were so damn close, everyone who loved the originals loved it for the world, not the gameplay, and the sequels didn't change the world enough for players to give anywhere near as much of a damn. Sure the gameplay was tweaked and improved, but that's not of any importance when the great bits have gone stale.

Basically, nobody really cares as much about the story or the gameplay as you'd think. In fact, it's the world that the game is set in that's the most important, and those three massive hits prove that.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I prefer a game with a rich story, but if the gameplay is weak making it not fun, theres no point.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Chal said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Nope.

I think we have a winner. A good story certainly doesn't hurt, but I'm not going to slog my way through a crappy experience to get at it when there is already plenty of amazing literature out there. The books are even polite enough to let me progress as I please.

Frankly, I don't understand anyone who would rank story above gameplay concerns.
I disagree, a poor story can most certainly be a down ward slope for games, people will care less about it, a good story helps, good game play helps, but, caring about the character is essential for everyone continuing to play the game. Case and point: Halo 2 (runs away!)

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorneys.

All five games have little to no gameplay, but really awesome stories.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
Tsaba said:
Chal said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Nope.

I disagree, a poor story can most certainly be a down ward slope for games, people will care less about it, a good story helps, good game play helps, but, caring about the character is essential for everyone continuing to play the game. Case and point: Halo 2 (runs away!)
I have no experience with the Halo franchise so I don't known how to respond to your last statement, but what I can tell you is that story can be a non-element and you can still have perfectly playable, and even beyond that, amazing titles. Look at Mount & Blade, Dwarf Fortress, or TF2. I hold that the inverse scenario doesn't really work. A "game" with gameplay as a non-element isn't going to be much fun =P

Therefore, characterization/story is not essential for continued enjoyment of games, but good gameplay is.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
No, but the exact opposite is very true. Half-life, Duke Nukem Forever (what story would you expect?), Sly Cooper 1, and Brewtal Legend (IMO) are all examples.

Mogget128723

Feb 9, 2010
In my opinion, unless the game is so bloody terrible that it feels like slogging through chilled molassas (in which case the story is probably mediocre as well) an excellent story can turn it into an excellent game. Novels are enjoyable, and I'm allowed to say this as a novelist, but video games are enjoyable in a different way. I don't look at a game from a gameplay standpoint, I look at it like an interactive story.

Take for example: Mass Effect One. Moving Shepard around felt like trying to steer a drunken cow, the cover mechanic was bollocks, and the frame-rate was choppy, but the story made me want to piss myself with awesome. So I beat it and loved it. Preordered the next one, and was pleasantly surprised that all issues found themselves repaired, but that's going off on a tangent.

Mogget128723

Feb 9, 2010
Triforceformer said:
No, but the exact opposite is very true. Half-life, Duke Nukem Forever (what story would you expect?), Sly Cooper 1, and Brewtal Legend (IMO) are all examples.
Nay, Half Life had a great story!

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Not really. Okay, I do like good stories in games, but if the gameplay itself is boring, broken, annoying, or just not fun, why should I punish myself to get more of the story when Youtube exists if I really care THAT much?