Can a guy gamer get a say in this bull?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Someone brought this up in a thread similar to this one:
Now imagine guys that there is a really cool game which awesome game play and story or whatever you like and next to the main character is Edward Cullen, and he's not just in that game. The majority of games on the shelf have sparkly vampires. You'd probably still buy and play the game but even time you look at your support character just are annoyed by it. It's fine at first but then your annoyance builds as it becomes more and more common.

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
I have JRPGs, I'm content. I'm a girl, but I don't know for sure what girls want in games.

As for me, I wouldn't change the games, but it would be nice to not always designate women to support roles (the same can be said for minority races). But we've seen that games can fail when there are too many chicks in the house. Just look at FFX-2, a very femininely driven game that most gamers went 'blech' at.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
kawaiiamethist said:
I have JRPGs, I'm content. I'm a girl, but I don't know for sure what girls want in games.

As for me, I wouldn't change the games, but it would be nice to not always designate women to support roles (the same can be said for minority races). But we've seen that games can fail when there are too many chicks in the house. Just look at FFX-2, a very femininely driven game that most gamers went 'blech' at.
Really? They went "BLECH" lets see here

user reviews
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/562386.html

http://readerreviews.ign.com/rrobj/game/index/492220

Metacritic score 85

Ya everyone panned it because it starred all women. Or maybe it got high scores because they were hawt. Or maybe and this is one of those wacky off the wall ideas gamers enjoyed it because it was a solid game and the sex of the characters didn't matter.

It is just sad that people cannot move past this. Yes there is some stereotypical female characters. Even when they get away from it they can't win because everyone just keeps pointing fingers back to them. While games that have strong female characters get absolutely no credit because the females aren't the lead. Or people just pick random games that had female leads and say they failed without putting in a bit of research to see if that is the case. Hopeless absolutely hopeless.

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
azurawolf said:
Wait a minute...
I am a girl and I love guns and cars and shit like that.
To think that girls don't like that stuff is being a little sexist. I am far from a feminist but saying that girls don't like those kind of games is a little.
I actually like games that allow me to shoot a zombie's head off better then a game with a talking unicorn.
Yeah.... Yeah. I think what he's trying to say is that the majority of gamers are male and that is why most advertisement is aimed at us. I'm in no way condoning the use of "jiggle effects" or well endowed poster women or any other feeble marketing schemes, frankly those are insulting. People love to complain, and complain they do. It is a fact that there is less appeal in the majority of video games to most women than there is to men, and this is something a lot of people loooooooooooooove to complain about. I think he's challenging those complainers and proposing that they share their ideal concepts and features for video games.
By the way, THAT'S SEXIST! No...wait... THAT'S SEXIST!!! WAIT, THERE'S MORE SEXISM OVER HERE, GET A LOAD OF THIS!

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I've seen enough truly out-there mods for just about any game under the sun to suggest that while men in general may not be slavering sex-mongers, there is a distinct subset of the population that gets its jollies off of some truly perverse things in gaming.

Oh, Sims 2 mods, how can I unsee thee?

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
squid5580 said:
kawaiiamethist said:

user reviews

Metacritic score 85

Ya everyone panned it because it starred all women. Or maybe it got high scores because they were hawt. Or maybe and this is one of those wacky off the wall ideas gamers enjoyed it because it was a solid game and the sex of the characters didn't matter.

It is just sad that people cannot move past this. Yes there is some stereotypical female characters. Even when they get away from it they can't win because everyone just keeps pointing fingers back to them. While games that have strong female characters get absolutely no credit because the females aren't the lead. Or people just pick random games that had female leads and say they failed without putting in a bit of research to see if that is the case. Hopeless absolutely hopeless.
Critics liked it, but most gamers either hated it or won't admit to liking it.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
kawaiiamethist said:
squid5580 said:
kawaiiamethist said:

user reviews

Metacritic score 85

Critics liked it, but most gamers either hated it or won't admit to liking it.
Click the top 2 links. Those are user reviews. You know those gamers who hated it or won't admit to liking it yet alot scored it 8 and above. I guess only selling 5 million copies doesn't mean much either.

AddytheGreat

May 25, 2009
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Borderlands: A sex filled shooter, where the player shoots skags to unlock pictures of HAWT GURLS.
What? Are there? I didnt find any...
Are you yanking my chain? :(

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
Archetypal_Maniac said:
Borderlands: A sex filled shooter, where the player shoots skags to unlock pictures of HAWT GURLS.

Dragon Age: Origins: An RPG where killing dragons allows us to dominate girls! And make them cook us dinner too!

CS:S Zombie mod: FWAAAR CHECK OUT TEH BEWBS ON THOSE DEAD GURLZ.

L4D2: Pretty much me as a guy teaching women not to talk back yah.

Heres the inside scoop, boobs, great love em, make me smile whatever, but, and you might wanna strap yourself in for this one, I didn't spend 2 fucking grand on a gaming PC to get kicks out of jiggly wiggly boobies ok? So stop sticking this god damn label on my head that I am sort of friggin sexist, pervo because I bought a game that has a vuluptuous female character in it, it's offensive, more offensive than the girls in the games. That's not to say all games are innocent, that's just to say I, and many others like me are not guilty. If you lasses are truly into your games, then get building and show us immature boys how it's done.
what is this I don't even

But anyway, it's generally because when a game has any sort of teh bewbs or SEXXORS OH TEH NOES, it gets plastered over the mainstream press...you need look no further than the frenzy over Mass Effect and how you could apparently "interact" with the single PG-13 sex scene which only appeared if you exhausted all dialogue options with certain characters.

So blame the mainstream media. Everyone else does. :p

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
AddytheGreat said:
Archetypal_Maniac said:
What? Are there? I didnt find any...
Are you yanking my chain? :(
Sarcasm, sir. (ma'am?)

Fenwolf2003

Nov 19, 2009
Heh, totally agree with the OP. Girls doen't really have interests that transfer into games very well. I'm not being sexist or anything, but I'm sure a girl would rather not spend £50 on a game when she could go out shopping for 8 hours and spend that on a purse or something. Men like sitting down to play with guns and big explosions (something we can't do in real life) while girls enjoy shopping, spending time with female friends and chatting (something that happens every few seconds in a woman's life).

Cooking Mama seems to be a game aimed at 'women' and as a guy it goes straight over my head, just never even thought about looking at it. Anyway, I'm sure some girls like guns and stuff like that, heck sure there are girls who love driving games. Just generally the most vocal part of a community is the one feeling left out. So while those girls complain there aren't enough games about...something...others that have a game just don't care enough to complain.

But there are more games being aimed towards girls recently, more girls than woman but I guess it still counts. All those 'Imagine' games where they try and teach you to be all that you can be, why settle for being a house wife when you can be an ice skater or a pony rider. Yawn >.>

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
dreamtime said:
I think many female gamers just want games that have real female CHARACTERS, not just annoying bitches with oversized breasts, or naive lolitas...with oversized breasts.
And maybe some unicorns.
Off-Topic, i must comment on your avatar. simply awesome...love that movie.

On-Topic: i agree. i don't play games or buy games based on boobs. but its the nature of the beast...boobs sell well. DoA:Beach Vollyball for instance. things wont change

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
I agree. I dont really agree with your passion, but im english, Its in my blood to be understated.

The thing is girls like to complain, And so thats the reason why *knifed in the back*. Gaah!

In all seriousness though, Its mainly attitude the girl gamers hate, Can you HONESTLY say you have never been in a game online & heard a load of the guys hitting on the only girl in the room? Its cringeworthy sometimes. Sure its an attractive feature, But still, Come on...