Can someone explain what's wrong with this?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Oh I heard about this!

So, apparently this hair style is not good if white people have it, because their hair doesn't naturally curl like that, and curling your hair to make it look how you like is racist if you like it to be like how some other people's hair is normally, and those said people have been socially trod upon and not celebrated for their hair being how you like yours to be.

And as a consequence, this also applies to videogames too, since for centuries there has been oppression of black videogame characters in all videogame lore, ever, and as a consequence of this primordial sin engraved in the lore of the universe out of which every game stems, it is ALSO racist to have this hairstyle in a game too if you're white, for the above reason.

Now, me, personally, I love stuff like how One Piece gave Luffy an afro and it literally made him into a stronger version of himself through instilling him with boxing confidence, but I guess Luffy is too asian and his family name is Monkey, so that is definitely racist too.
I hate the hair/dress thing for claiming racist or so. No hair style should be exclusive to a skin color. I mean for dress you could make the cultural appropriation argument but I don't really like that argument since at this point every culture is an amalgamation of other cultures. I understand thinking its squcky because of colonialism and how much that fucked up pretty much the whole world but it still seems weird to me to claim ownership of an outfit unless the outfit really means something. For instance if you get a tattoo from a culture where that tattoo has a specific meaning or is to show that the wearer of it has accomplished something and you just get it without accomplishing what it means then that is a problem of 'stolen valor' and thus a problem.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I hate the hair/dress thing for claiming racist or so. No hair style should be exclusive to a skin color. I mean for dress you could make the cultural appropriation argument but I don't really like that argument since at this point every culture is an amalgamation of other cultures. I understand thinking its squcky because of colonialism and how much that fucked up pretty much the whole world but it still seems weird to me to claim ownership of an outfit unless the outfit really means something. For instance if you get a tattoo from a culture where that tattoo has a specific meaning or is to show that the wearer of it has accomplished something and you just get it without accomplishing what it means then that is a problem of 'stolen valor' and thus a problem.
It's just ignorant too. I have long straight but slightly wavy hair and if I don't brush it or wash it for 2 days it starts to form dreads by itself, especially on the front of my head, so it's not like straight hair doesn't naturally curl too, it's just less curly. It's not an intrinsic property of black people's hair. Their hair just has 10 points on the curl stat and mine is at like a 3. Growing up my best friend's hair was completely curly like an african's (i've seen tons of people who think of themselves as nonwhite, who'd think of him as white, who have way straighter hair than he did) but he was just as much greek as any of the rest of us. His skin was more olive than pale but that's not something we learned to characterize people by. It's a distinctly american thing to claim these things as belonging to one group over another and it legit is factually incorrect and makes no sense if you come into it with a wider perspective than just the america-centric one.

Last edited:

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Personally i think the whole concept of cultural appropriation is a stupid idea. Sure there are a couple of things summed up under it that are shitty behaviour but those are all bad for other, unrelated reasons.

Asde from that, i avoid Twitter and can do very well without controversies over there.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's just ignorant too. I have long straight but slightly wavy hair and if I don't brush it or wash it for 2 days it starts to form dreads by itself, especially on the front of my head, so it's not like straight hair doesn't naturally curl too, it's just less curly. It's not an intrinsic property of black people's hair. Their hair just has 10 points on the curl stat and mine is at like a 3. Growing up my best friend's hair was completely curly like an african's (i've seen tons of people who think of themselves as nonwhite, who'd think of him as white, who have way straighter hair than he did) but he was just as much greek as any of the rest of us. His skin was more olive than pale but that's not something we learned to characterize people by. It's a distinctly american thing to claim these things as belonging to one group over another and it legit is factually incorrect and makes no sense if you come into it with a wider perspective than just the america-centric one.
I had a greek friend growing up also, his hair wasn't african american curly but pretty damn curly and if he let it grow it would naturally afro.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
While I was waiting for the tweet-preview to load and only being able to see OP & first reply, I first thought it was about the Mandalorian and the boob armour.

I see it was about something similarly inane.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
What's the Harry Styles controversy and who's Harry Styles?
Harry Styles ruined masculinity, apparently

Also, Candace Owens doesn't understand what Marxism is. Otherwise, she would notice that a lot of their propaganda is very manly, just how she likes it. She's a sexist who needs demands men only wear certain clothes
Edit: she also isn't aware that Kimonos exist

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
I don't know what I was expecting... it's just some good looking dude in a dress. I mean, it's not for me, but... just tell these twitter people to shut up. Years ago I thought arguing on the internet was stupid, but then Twitter was invented and it seems like it's so much worse.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
The reason I made this topic on this is specifically because I find the controversy inane and pointless. There's dozens and dozens of what one would consider more "worthwhile" topics I see in articles or Twitter regularly that I could make threads about here but I'm not interested in discussing those things on this forum right now due to health concerns related to stress. If one wants to extrapolate this into some wider political meaning then I guess the best would be that people are so high strung all around that even something like this can cause a kerfuffle.
Sorry, didn't see this until now.

The problem with it is that you have to understand the slant that is innately painted with it.

In short, you're never questioning views about that are centered around off-kilter Republican inanity. Qanon and the like.

It's always just how crazy and weird and dangerous Left thinking is. There are people from Qanon who have become elected officials of our nation. Qanon believes in a Satantic Democratic Cabal of Pedophiles that they must fight... and the topics that are more worthy of focus are Space Buns and the like.

We have too much inane and serious things at the same time that we can't blow our energy on the inane and just be spent when actual causes come our way.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

The problem with it is that you have to understand the slant that is innately painted with it.

In short, you're never questioning views about that are centered around off-kilter Republican inanity. Qanon and the like.

It's always just how crazy and weird and dangerous Left thinking is. There are people from Qanon who have become elected officials of our nation. Qanon believes in a Satantic Democratic Cabal of Pedophiles that they must fight... and the topics that are more worthy of focus are Space Buns and the like.

We have too much inane and serious things at the same time that we can't blow our energy on the inane and just be spent when actual causes come our way.
I think Spectre is expecting us to get outraged by this silly nonsense. Me, personally, I reserve my outrage for people who keep making the same mistakes. Even then, I didn’t get too outraged over Owens Identity Politics. And she keeps making the same authoritarian conservative Christian mistake, pretending was masculinity is. She should work with Gillette, maybe they can tell all men how to live

I’d prefer someone having a talk with this person rather than the cancelling they got.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I... don't understand what Qanon or Republicans have to do with this...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
It's hard to tell how much of the space-buns outrage flooding the replies is even real and how much is sarcasm, satire or mocking the idea of the outrage. Something clear is that no one worth listening has mentioned this outrage (because it is a waste of time).

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It's not over yet!!

If you make a character that isn't your EXACT skin tone, you're a horrible racist!

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
He's asking why you want us to jumping up and down in anger about hair buns when you don't about Qanon
..........?????????????????? What do those two things have in common? That's like asking why I'm talking about sharks when I could be talking about hotdogs.

Or any of the inanity that comes from the Right. But yeah, completely copacetic.
Why? You guys already take care of that.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Why? You guys already take care of that.
That’s exactly what Obsidian said

Edit: Like, I have complete faith that Houseman has this nonsense covered.

It's not over yet!!

If you make a character that isn't your EXACT skin tone, you're a horrible racist!
I’ll let him handle it instead of dog piling people for wrong behaviour
Also, I would have said this is more yellow face than black face. Maybe it’s just the blonde hair. But her tone is not that dissimilar. Also also, hopefully none of these guys see my gaming avatars. They generally look nothing like me

Last edited: