Can somone explain this "booth babe" thing to me?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Vault101 said:
AND it is true that gaming is still very male orientated...

?
Whether or not this is an issue I think this is a poor defense for booth babes as this argument just defends the situation rather than do anything to challenge it.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
All boys like hot girls. BOOM there's your answer.

You want someone to look at your stall, you get a hot girl to promote it. Simple. And it obviously does work or people wouldn't spend money getting the girls.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
JanatUrlich said:
Mind if I give you a hint?

If you make a statement that includes the word "all" (or "none") and it's not about mathematics or logic then you're basically guaranteed to be wrong.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
seeing how cars are taken seriously despite(or maybe because) booth babes i don't think it will hurt anyone
maybe annoy a female gamer or 2

i don't care much about them since i don't go to conventions and no amount of boobies will me convince to buy a game i don't want
...unless those boobies are in the game too

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Kind of annoys me when people pull the superiority "well actually I find it quite disgusting." Then again, a lot of surface behavior is done with the intent of giving the best outward appearance. Get over yourselves, it's just a base marketing ploy, no different from any other advertisement strategy. It doesn't affect your decision it's just for eye catching purposes. And they've chosen to do it. It's just something that's somewhat pleasant to look at in some way, so get off your pedestal.

djs.specs

Dec 14, 2010
Sex sells and until it doesn't then there will be a 'demand' for booth babes in male-dominated areas. Although, that being said, I'm yet to see a half-naked bloke at an arts and crafts fair :-/

JanatUrlich said:
Except for the boys that like boys. And the boys that don't like anyone at all.

Yeah, sweeping statements are dumb.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
Hagi said:
JanatUrlich said:
Mind if I give you a hint?

If you make a statement that includes the word "all" (or "none") and it's not about mathematics or logic then you're basically guaranteed to be wrong.
djs.specs said:
Sex sells and until it doesn't then there will be a 'demand' for booth babes in male-dominated areas. Although, that being said, I'm yet to see a half-naked bloke at an arts and crafts fair :-/

JanatUrlich said:
Except for the boys that like boys. And the boys that don't like anyone at all.

Yeah, sweeping statements are dumb.
Come on people, I obviously meant straight boys. Lets not be pedantic. The escapist has become way too much of a bitching ground lately.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
JanatUrlich said:
Come on people, I obviously meant straight boys. Lets not be pedantic. The escapist has become way too much of a bitching ground lately.
Even straight boys.

When I think of 'hot' I think of your standard movie star model, basically Angelina Jolie. And honestly? I've trouble thinking of anything that looks more boring then that. It just looks fake and plastic. Probably not fair to girls who look that way, but I can't really help my preferences.

I like to think there's a little bit more diversity to people then just pubertal standards.

And I'm mostly just ranting a bit here, don't take it too seriously. It's not really directed at you. Just my knee-jerk reaction to little harmless things that still manage to annoy me.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
While I can understand the marketing strategy as a woman I kind of find it sickening. It makes me personally feel unwelcome in the gaming community because it reminds me that the games developers don't see women as equal consumers.

It's kind of hard to explain but it really does make me uncomfortable. I feel the same way when I see racing girls. It's like the industry is saying 'In this field you can be nothing but eye candy for the men, the people who really matter.'

I have a lot of love for computer games and I've played since I was 5 years old on my Dad's friends tiny black Atari. I have sometimes felt like it would be better to be a guy because they are so much more considered and respected by games developers and marketing.

The late 90's for example where even the previously cartoony CVG magazine switched over to having naked women strewn over the cover. When someone complained they said they didn't care becuase their demographic was young men and they could last without their small female readership. This was the editorial mind...I cancelled my subscription and just went by the internet from then on.

Booth babes, in my opinion, are just another way the industry is shouting in women's faces 'This is not for you!' I'm not saying all women feel that way, but that's how I see it.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Its funny that I was thinking about booth babes just before. In Lord Of War, theres a Weapons Convention with booth babes. I found the concept a bit odd. Someone might buy a book or a game because a pretty girl stood near it, but I cant imagine someone doing the same with an order of 100 military aircraft.

As for why their isnt any booth dudes, I think its because people have the oddest notion that women are somehow above being pandered to sexually. But that could just be because I watched to much 90's sitcoms.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
Hagi said:
JanatUrlich said:
Even straight boys.

When I think of 'hot' I think of your standard movie star model, basically Angelina Jolie. And honestly? I've trouble thinking of anything that looks more boring then that. It just looks fake and plastic. Probably not fair to girls who look that way, but I can't really help my preferences.

I like to think there's a little bit more diversity to people then just pubertal standards.

And I'm mostly just ranting a bit here, don't take it too seriously. It's not really directed at you. Just my knee-jerk reaction to little harmless things that still manage to annoy me.
...but doesn't the word 'hot' encompass anyone's personal idea of an attractive woman? There isn't one type of woman that counts as 'hot'. That's a very simple minded view of women.

If you don't want me to take it seriously, don't rant.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
I don't get how people can not understand it. It's really the simplest marketing strategy known to mankind
Exactly. And it really works. I LOVE BOOTH BABES AND THEIR BOOBS!

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
At E3 and other gaming convictions "booth babes" are hot chicks dressed as the main character of a game,or promoting a game.

Basically sluts.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
yuval152 said:
At E3 and other gaming convictions "booth babes" are hot chicks dressed as the main character of a game,or promoting a game.

Basically sluts.
now HOLD ON just a second there

first of all having alot of sexual partners doenst nessicarily make you a horrible person (but thats an issue for another day)

THIS has NOTHING to do with sexual partners

the women doing this are doing it BY CHOICE....and if your going to refer to them like that then what about the drooling man-children who like that kind of thing (thats not my opinion but you see where Im going}

I may not be 100% ok with the booth babe thing but I find that kind of offensive (and my "issues with women" alarm bells are going off)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
JanatUrlich said:

You want someone to look at your stall, you get a hot girl to promote it. Simple. And it obviously does work or people wouldn't spend money getting the girls.
I don't get how people can not understand it. It's really the simplest marketing strategy known to mankind, aside from maybe just straight up asking you to buy the product. Plus look at women's mags, even women who aren't into other women like looking at pretty women, a booth babe is literally a no-loss proposition!

As MovieBob said in one of his videos 'guys like pretty girls, girls like pretty girls, some girls really like pretty girls'.
oh I get it...but that kind of wasnt my point here

my point was is it a good thing?..or is it potentially harmful?

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Vault101 said:
yuval152 said:

Basically sluts.
now HOLD ON just a second there

first of all having alot of sexual partners doenst nessicarily make you a horrible person (but thats an issue for another day)

THIS has NOTHING to do with sexual partners

the women doing this are doing it BY CHOICE....and if your going to refer to them like that then what about the drooling man-children who like that kind of thing (thats not my opinion but you see where Im going}

I may not be 100% ok with the booth babe thing but I find that kind of offensive (and my "issues with women" alarm bells are going off)
Slut also means a girl who "shows" her stuff.(not in a stripper way)

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
trollpwner said:
Ehhhh.....whatever your opinion on it, it really doesn't help the image of the gaming community. And no amount of breasts make a game better.
Thing is though, not only the games industry does this, all industries do.