Can there be a gay character in a children's show?

Sam_Winchester

Sep 24, 2009
In my constant fascination with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (note: this is not a dig at bronies; I respect how they feel towards MLP:FiM even if I'm not a part of that particular circle of fans [though I have seen four episodes]) I have constantly come across references to Rainbow Dash's sexuality as being of a homosexual one. The pairing that seems to come up most often for reasons unbeknownst to me is Dash and Applejack. While I understand that most of this is just the internet being the internet, it did get me a'wondering.

Could there be a character on a show with a target audience similar to MLP:FiM that is outrightly homosexual? No allusions to it, no hinting at it, just flat out gay? Could, for example, Dash and Applejack start a romantic relationship in a future episode of MLP, or is our society not quite at that point yet?

Feb 13, 2008
There's hundreds. And a thread on it not so long ago.
(Possibly not hundreds, but at least in 2 figures)

The thing is...why should it matter, and how would you tell? Being gay doesn't intrinsically alter anything in the rest of your personality. It just means you like to sleep with the same gender.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There'd be the usual massive backlash from some people, and others would praise it as a good idea.

Of course, it should be allowed...you have straight couples plastered on everything, after all. But nobody would risk the controversy.

Alimouse

Jan 24, 2011
Honestly, I'd say around 60 percent of Americans would not have an issue with it. Provided things were kept tasteful of course.

it's the 40 that would have a freakout loud enough to be heard on the moon that keep it from ever coming up.

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
There are gay people in kids lives, why couldn't there be gay people in their shows. Admittedly most kids shows are utter crap today, but I don't see how making the more age appropriate kids show somewhat more realistic. Obviously introducing sexual relations between anyone of any gender is inappropriate below a certain age.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i recently marathoned spongebob squarepants. first time i've seen it. i'm pretty sure spongebob is gay; and awesome.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
If the only romance in a children's show is a homosexual one, pain in the ass people would be screaming bible chants at the network.

I think it would be fine if a show had established married couples and gay couples were their as well, acting in normal non flamboyant ways, or at least normal for that fictional universe. Don't try and explain why it's ok, just have them be as normal as everyone else. That I believe, is a better message (and easier for the more.... conservative[sub][sub](yes, let's use that word)[/sub][/sub] parents to accept).

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Captain_Fantastic said:
bert and ernie ...... problem solved
theyre just friends.
OT: no because;
1. it doesnt actually change you
2. kids dont have a concept of sex/sexuality
3. the parents would get angry
4. the church would get angry
5. the show would get cancelled because of bad publicity
6. nobody learned anything

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
My first post months ago was on a thread EXACTLY like this. Started with MLP as an example and everything. I would love to see more gay characters in cartoons and the like, I mentioned in the "how things affected your personality" thread how various mediums affected mine, and seeing some gay characters in the stuff I liked sure would have made my confusing adolescence slightly less confusing...

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, yes there can be, will there be in the not too distant future? no not for awhile anyway cause you know stupid people

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The thing is...why should it matter
This, and no it should not matter.

It's a childshow, though it does pass on some dubious topics such as world domination and suches. Which is kinda odd, if you look at the subjects MLP touches with ADULT eyes, then yes you will see more then someone with CHILDREN eyes.

I'll refer to the southpark episode of racism (the one about changing the South Park Flag) and childrens views on what they see. But I am drifting off topic.

Should it matter? No. Why? Because kids don't percieve reality like we do. They just see 6 ponies working their way through mean situations.

(Another example is the Lion King. Remember watching it when you were what... 8,9,12? Well watch it again and note down the subjects. You'll come about murder, betrayal, extortion, threats of death, violence, death of a parent, mature (adult) relations but also the good ones like friendship and.. erm... Yeah friendship. And I didn't start seeing those things untill I was 16 or 18 and growing into an adult mindset.)

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Why and how exactly are you putting sex in a kid's show? The fact that a lot of cartoon characters act gay-ish does not make them homosexual, it's a common stereotype, especially in comedy.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
agentorange98 said:
Yes, yes there can be, will there be in the not too distant future? no not for awhile anyway cause you know stupid people
Im sorry but im one of these people who doesnt think sexuality should be part of a childrens TV show. Of any kind. It shouldnt be seriously talked about in such a comical and bland environment. All characters on kids TV shows are 1d and have no depth, instead drawing on steriotypes and exaggerated qualities. I dont want serious lessons on equality taught by such characters, it wouldnt work properly.

Children of a VERY young age dont see that someone is gay unless you made it that characters defining feature. Then it just becomes steriotypical.

"LOOK AT THESE MEN THEY LIKE EACHOTHER WHAT DO YOU THINK?!" Is justs stupid. Kids wanna roll down hills and draw on walls, they dont give a fuck about deep issues like this they wont understand. And forcing characters like this into a steriotyped kids TV show will NOT help.

I think from the age of 12 up shows can include them, when they are mature enough to actually understand. The thing is including it and not mentioning it will confuse them. But including it and making an episode will force the issue too much and also confuse them, as well as forcing jokes/steriotypes to make the show funny as WELL as discuss the issue, kinda ruining the point. Basically no one grows up homophobic anymore, we dont really need this kinda education that much.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
Having a gay character would also mean tying a character to the subject of sex in a children's cartoon, and I have problems with over-exposing subjects that don't really matter to them at that age. Its the same reason why "straight" is never used as a key descriptor for children's cartoon characters, its simply a non issue. At that point the concept of marriage is essentially the same as friendship to young children, and tying sex and long-term relationships to that is just going to confuse the children.