Can there be a gay character in a children's show?

Apr 5, 2008
There shouldn't be any "gay characters" in a children's show. There should not be any characters with any apparent sexuality period. Children do not need to be exposed to sexuality at all, let alone the more controversial issues of homosexuality and all its implications.

Kids shows should be fun, entertaining and/or educational, stimulating or include simple moral lessons. Any show which had any suggestions of sexuality would not be suitable for children full stop and I certainly wouldn't allow any kids of mine (had I any) to watch them.

Once children reach adolescence, it's a different story. Then it's perfectly acceptable to start getting in issues that are of import to teens and pubescents such as peer pressure, bullying, sexuality (not graphic of course) and birth control/sexual health, self-image, individuality and rebelling against The Man.

TheCorpseMan99

Apr 16, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
There's hundreds. And a thread on it not so long ago.
(Possibly not hundreds, but at least in 2 figures)

The thing is...why should it matter, and how would you tell? Being gay doesn't intrinsically alter anything in the rest of your personality. It just means you like to sleep with the same gender.
That's why there shouldn't be a "gay" character, because the only concrete aspect of homosexuality is the fact that you are sexually attracted to the same gender, and sex, whether between different genders or the same, shouldn't be flaunted to children.

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
RYjet911 said:
Not strictly a kid's show, but Doctor Who has them.
CAPTAIN JACK FUCKING HARKNESS.
The best tri-sexual in the UNIVERSE. But in all truth, most shows should follow DW's example, in more than just its stance on LGBT characters and people. Of course, it's less of a thing in Britain than it is in the USA.