Murder fangirls, we will have to.
A great war coming, I senses.

Yeah, Yoda was a friggin vampire.
No shit.

Sad Robot

Nov 1, 2009
Amnestic said:
Sad Robot said:
Dracula? Superman? I think you could call them definitive with ease, even if they aren't your preferred characters.
Look up Dracula's powers.

When was the last time you say a vampire turn into a Wolf, Fog or a rat? When was the last time you saw a vampire have his powers reduced during the daytime but still be able to use them at Dusk, Dawn and (most importantly) noon? Or when they used sacramental bread as a weapon against him?

Definitive? Only to people who haven't looked him up.
There have been several incarnations of Dracula.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Sad Robot said:
Amnestic said:
Sad Robot said:
Dracula? Superman? I think you could call them definitive with ease, even if they aren't your preferred characters.
Look up Dracula's powers.

When was the last time you say a vampire turn into a Wolf, Fog or a rat? When was the last time you saw a vampire have his powers reduced during the daytime but still be able to use them at Dusk, Dawn and (most importantly) noon? Or when they used sacramental bread as a weapon against him?

Definitive? Only to people who haven't looked him up.
There have been several incarnations of Dracula.
I'm talking about Stoker's.

Also: How is he definitive if there are "several incarnations"? That's the exact opposite of definitive. It's fecking confusing is what it is.

Sad Robot

Nov 1, 2009
Amnestic said:
Also: How is he definitive if there are "several incarnations"? That's the exact opposite of definitive. It's fecking confusing is what it is.
This is how: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PopCulturalOsmosis

In most people's minds the words "Dracula" and "vampire" are synonymous, same thing with characters like Superman and Sherlock Holmes, nevermind the fact that relatively few people have actually read the original stories.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Sad Robot said:
Amnestic said:
This is how: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PopCulturalOsmosis

In most people's minds the words "Dracula" and "vampire" are synonymous, same thing with characters like Superman and Sherlock Holmes, nevermind the fact that relatively few people have actually read the original stories.
Superman is simple because there's one of him. Everyone knows his powers. Dracula may be the most recognisable vampire, but calling him a "definitive" one is silly because of the many different incarnations. It's as ridiculous as this entire thread. "Good" vampires? Which ones?

In Trinity Blood (a pretty damn violent anime starring vampires and Catholics), vampires have no issue with sunlight.

In Buffy, which is also quite violent, they do.

Which are the 'good' vampires? It's all a matter of opinion or bullshitting whining yet again about how much they hate Twilight.

Sad Robot

Nov 1, 2009
Amnestic said:
Superman is simple because there's one of him.
There have been several incarnations.
Amnestic said:
Everyone knows his powers.
Well, all geeks do.
Amnestic said:
Dracula may be the most recognisable vampire, but calling him a "definitive" one is silly because of the many different incarnations.
Well, granted, I did use "definitive" as more or less meaning "most associated with the word", certainly not "most well defined notion of an iconic character". People tend to be rather hazy on the details when it comes to the "definitive" characters, simply because few people are actually familiar with the original work. It's more of a notion; name and reputation.
Amnestic said:
It's as ridiculous as this entire thread. "Good" vampires? Which ones?

In Trinity Blood (a pretty damn violent anime starring vampires and Catholics), vampires have no issue with sunlight.

In Buffy, which is also quite violent, they do.

Which are the 'good' vampires? It's all a matter of opinion or bullshitting whining yet again about how much they hate Twilight.
Well, I doubt anyone's read my previous posts about vampires, but yeah, I agree with you on this.

childofbodom

Aug 13, 2008
To be honest I quite liked the Twilight book...well that was up untill they actually mentioned the "vampires" or what ever the fuck they want to call themselves. I hate twilight "vampires" over almost everything (above that is nazis and rich people). Thank heavens for White Wolf and their Vampire: The Masquerade and Trokia games for their VtMBL, that is some awesome vamps for ya. Since they actually use the biblical vampires descended from Cain(e), they're probably the best vampires so far.

Carpe Mortem

iron codpiece

Mar 17, 2009
Slowly but surely all my female friends are reading and becoming obsessed with those books. I don't give them too much crap about it though because they have had to deal with me talking about and making referances to Star Wars for who knows how long.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Just watch older vampire movies and read older vampire books. Daren Shan vampire book are still a great series, even with Twilight lurking around and Dracula is as good as ever.

Ultimateslayer

Sep 21, 2008
Can we bring back punctuation, please?
And what happened to case sensitivity?
But I do agree that vampires should generally stop the shiney, sparkly topmodel-shit and go kill people and drink their blood.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
"Hey, look at me, I diss Twilight, I'm cool!"

Can we bring decent threads back please?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Gabanuka said:
Just watch older vampire movies and read older vampire books. Daren Shan vampire book are still a great series, even with Twilight lurking around and Dracula is as good as ever.
Really? I read a few Darren Shan books after my younger brother bought them and I thought they were terribly boring and about as well written as Harry Potter - which is to say, not very.

Coupled with him bastardising the oh-so-sacred Vampire Lore but somehow getting away with it...well, let's just say those who advocate Darren Shan while hating on Twilight are even more lulsworthy to me than the ones who just hate Twilight.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
williebaz said:
Gmano said:
williebaz said:
miwonton said:
i would love to see a good old vampire movie once again. i honestly miss Blade. vampires used to be one of the most bad-ass creatures of cinema...and now there destroyed by terrible 13 year old fan fiction. can we start a counter-revolution before this new crappy vampire trend gets far to worse to control?
I am Legend, THE BOOK, will likely redeem your opinion of vampires.

I hate twilight, up until that came out I used to love vampires.
Yeah, nobody believes me when I tell people that the I Am Legend "zombies" are vampires.
THANK YOU, I always get into fights over that.
I don't see how they don't know... even in the film it explicitly says that they are vampires (even though they did the big fuckup with the ending and got rid of the entire point of the damn book).

Sad Robot

Nov 1, 2009
childofbodom said:
Thank heavens for White Wolf and their Vampire: The Masquerade and Trokia games for their VtMBL, that is some awesome vamps for ya.
One of the best games I've ever played, even if it was a buggy mess of a broken game.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
"Our subject is a twenty year old male. Time of death is approximately 72 hours ago. However, the subject has been mobile up until 12 hours ago."

Fear not, all ye in search of true vampires, for Alucard still walks the night.

Seriously, look up Hellsing if you're after some good vampire stuff. It's also one of the good anime dubs (seriously, watch the dub. It's awesome). It's all on youtube, so it's readily available too.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
While we're at it, can we bring back the search bar. I don't know where it might have gone off to, but apparently it's inaccessible. Escapist staff, could you please try to locate the errant search bar, so people can try to find other threads which talk about how terrible vampire mythos has become in light of Twilight.

OT:

Dude, shut up. There's no consistency in vampire lore to begin with, so it's all about picking a series you like a reading it. If you don't like Twilight vampires, do what I did: ignore them. Go read the Dresden Files, go read I am Legend, go read anything else you like. I didn't like Twilight, I never read them, and the concept sounded a bit soap-opera-ish, but we all sound like jackasses when the best we can come up with by way of criticism is:

"Nurr, I don't like your vampires. You changed it, now they suck"

Criticize the writing, the characters, whatever you like, but until you can find me actual evidence for what a "real" vampire would be like, stop being a pretentious idiot. Jim Butcher writes different vampires from Anne Rice, from Laurel K. Hamilton, from Bram Stoker, from Richard Matheson, from Stephanie Meyers, and from White Wolf Publishing. There's no consistency, and hence no "good" or "bad" only different interpretations of what a vampire "would" be like.

Stop the presses, one writer has a different concept of mythology from another. I'm shocked, shocked I say, to find that there isn't one universal way to think of vampires.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Malicious said:
I miss real vampires....all we get now is teenage romance movies with emo vampires as the main cast....
I'm sorry, can you find me a non-emo, non-sadistic-bastard-vampire? If what you're saying is the only "real" vampire is the gorn-filled Hellsing stuff, I'm going to ask you to return your "literate person" license. Go read the original Dracula, it's all about Dracula being a bit emo. Go read any of Anne Rice. Hell, go watch Blade.

Just because a guy is ripped like Jesus doesn't mean he can't be emo. If your complaint is bishonen characters, I agree, but if your complaint is just the whiny nature of them, you apparently missed half of all of the vampires ever written or put on screen.

I didn't like Twilight, but dear lord, we can do better than this kind of complaint

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Best vampire ever. Kain from, strangely, the legacy of Kain series.

Raziel doesn't count, he's a wraith.

Go play those games.