Can we just talk about what we think of Overwatch as a game? Please?

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
sataricon said:
What's there to talk about?
It's a TF2 clone.

You like TF2 and you are under 9 years of age go play Overwatch.
What a wonderful and insightful post. Please, continue to add your great wisdom to this forum. It enriches us all.

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
ShinyCharizard said:
sataricon said:
It's a TF2 clone.

What a wonderful and insightful post. Please, continue to add your great wisdom to this forum. It enriches us all.
Sorry i ran out....maybe tomorrow?

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
TheKasp said:
sataricon said:
It's a TF2 clone.

It is a TF2 clone? Aha. Do you know what a clone is? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGmqIkhjEPE]

And why the age-restriction of nine?

Would you care to elaborate on that.
Did i offend you with the 9 year old thing.....sorry didn't want to offend you.
let's make it 10 years old.....better?

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
TheKasp said:
sataricon said:
Sorry, you're not edgy enough to offend me. I just asked for an elaboration, maybe you had actually something isightfull to say about the choice of age.
Apology accepted.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
I think it looks potentially fun.

Of course they could still screw up the map designs or something and it's not like I've played it yet or anything, but I intend to give it a shot if my poor long-suffering computer can handle it.

Reaper's ult looks kinda OP though. Blink in, press ult button, kill everything?
It's entirely possible that they intentionally make characters look overpowered when they're being showcased by setting up scenarios for them in some way. For example, in LoL, champion spotlights usually have the champion in question with a level and item advantage to make them seem stronger than they actually are to get people more interested in the character.

But they said this is still early in development and a lot can change. Possibly they can change Reaper's ult to be closer to the Strider's ult from GunZ 2. (Basically when activated, Strider crouches down and you have to swivel your camera to move the crosshair over the enemies to 'lock on'. After a second or two, if the targeted enemies don't get behind cover, they take extreme, usually fatal damage). And when you're locked on, it warns you of your imminent death to give you some time to react.

It'd be consistent with how Reaper was shown in the trailer as well, since he started by firing randomly and then focused in on Winston to down him.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Zhukov said:
Reaper's ult looks kinda OP though. Blink in, press ult button, kill everything?
Either that or blink in, press ult button, do jack-all damage to Reinhardt's shield, then stand there like a tart while the whole team mulches you after the ult is over.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I sort of wonder if the reason the outfits get more talk than these games is because there's not much to talk about substantively. I mean, it looks okay, but it's largely indistinguishable from other shooter games as far as I'm concerned. Worse, while it might be a different format (competitive team multiplayer as opposed to co-op), it just strikes me as another Borderlands-formula game. Look how colourful and quirky we are! To remind you, we'll drop memes on your constantly!

I mean, cool that folks like it, but if we're talking about the quality of the game....I don't see it.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Antigonius said:
IllumInaTIma said:
What about you guys? Any early impressions? Perhaps some of you lucky bastards were able to actually try the game out on Blizzcon?
Don't get your hopes up mate. Like I said in one of the threads - just because they gave a unique model to most of the character builds in TF2, doesn't mean that that the game is automatically a hit.

Just from the gameplay footage I saw at least 3 Scouts, 2 Engineers, 3 Soldiers, 2 Heavies, 1 Medic builds. that is not what I could call a good game.

Still, it's success depends on three questions:
- Will they support the game as much as Valve do - different loadouts, weapons, hats, new missions, maps and etc.?
- Will they make use of characters personalities like taunts or their own Meet the?
- how fast will the community grow and will it be loyal?

If the answers to all above are "Yes" - the game sky rockets. If every thing's a "No" - then it's not. Everything else - mediocre piece of shit not worthy of my time.
As I already said here, having similar looking or functioning classes doesn't really mean much. There's much more to the game to make it different

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Well, no.

All I saw was a trailer, so we can only discuss the trailer and the possible art style. I don't really see the point of discussing games that aren't out yet: it's like how The Reader's Choice thing has 3 games in the list, that haven't been released yet. It's nice that people have trust in these companies, but that's a wee bit ridiculous.

It looks ok. That's all. Trailers are built to display the best parts of a game, so I'll just wait until the previews come out before actually discussing it.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Well, no.

All I saw was a trailer, so we can only discuss the trailer and the possible art style. I don't really see the point of discussing games that aren't out yet: it's like how The Reader's Choice thing has 3 games in the list, that haven't been released yet. It's nice that people have trust in these companies, but that's a wee bit ridiculous.

It looks ok. That's all. Trailers are built to display the best parts of a game, so I'll just wait until the previews come out before actually discussing it.
There's already a gameplay trailer and a bunch of previews from people who've played it. One such person has already left his impressions in this very thread.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
IllumInaTIma said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Well, no.

There's already a gameplay trailer and a bunch of previews from people who've played it. One such person has already left his impressions in this very thread.
I'll guess I'll need to take a look at them.

Not the actual gameplay trailer, I am predisposed against them, as I mentioned above.

It still feels a bit rushed and over-excited, like what happened during Nintendo's e3 presentation with the new incarnation of Link being shown.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
"Looks like a TF2 clone" Tell me now, exactly how many games do we have like this? I think there is room for one more.

I really liked what I saw, and it was so unexpected. From what I could tell it is Blizzard's turn to copy a good game and make their version of it. While they may not have much (if any) experience with FPS, they do know how to make games.
Blizzard games just tends to feel.. right when it comes to controls and mechanics, and that is something very few get right.
Also it's worth mentioning that this is by far the best alpha/beta presentation I have seen from anyone, and It seems to be everything I've come to expect from Blizz these days, tight, clean and just well made.

Basically they are the only company that hasn't screwd me over yet, so I have no reason to think they would mess it up.
It's something new from them, it's not warcraft, not starcraft, can't we just be happy and positive about that?

So from what I saw in the trailer, the gameplay and what I could read it is definitely something I want to try.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
sataricon said:
TheKasp said:
sataricon said:
It's a TF2 clone.

It is a TF2 clone? Aha. Do you know what a clone is? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGmqIkhjEPE]

And why the age-restriction of nine?

Would you care to elaborate on that.
Whoa dude, be careful that you don't cut yourself on all that edge you got there.

Clearly you're too cool for this forum.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
Rattja said:
Basically they are the only company that hasn't screwd me over yet, so I have no reason to think they would mess it up. It's something new from them, it's not warcraft, not starcraft, can't we just be happy and positive about that?
Did you buy Diablo 3 on launch day? Just putting that out there.

OT: Looks cool I won't be playing it because I dislike Blizzard (don't ask why it's none of your business). Understandably there's tons of TF2 connections, but I wonder if Blizzard can handle the game in the long run, cause no matter how fun it is at launch (Titanfall), and no matter how much good press and praise it gets before the release (Destiny). There's still the chance that it won't stand the test of time. Let's see if Blizzard can make a fabled "TF2" killer...

Also do you smell smoke? I think there might be a flame war somewhere around here.