Can we please stop it with the Tumblr hate?

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
ayvee said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Well I care D:

Sorry, that did get more out of hand than I really wanted, but I was just trying to clear up misunderstandings that other people had brought up.

But I think the rest of your post strikes at the heart of why the tumblr hate around here can feel so off. We hate to be misunderstood, plenty of people here scoff at the idea of "gamer culture," or even gamer as a label. Yet the so called tumblr community has far less connective tissue, it's basically facebook for images. A lot of people who criticise it have clearly never used it, but I've also seen people straight up argue that because "SJW" is such a big deal right now it's totally fair and just to use that as a representation of the entire site. And that's ironic.
Well I only said the "who cares" thing because that debate honestly sounded like someone trying to explain why being 1/128 of a race makes them that race. No offensive to you when I said that it just seem like a meh thing to debate (I am projecting so there is that). Also it's funny when "gamers" get pissed or angry when something bad happens and the media uses games as the excuse for why it happened. But we do the same thing other groups just because of bad eggs, it's messed up and really not helpful.

On a final note, I never heard of "SJW" until the Tomodachi life thing on twitter. Which I have my own thoughts on but that's another topic for never :p.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I agree with OP. The amount of people who are so overjudging and all they do is post hate is so tiny compared to the people that don't. To be honest, I hate when that shit, and the shit like #allmenmustdie come on my dash (which it has) and I block it as soon as it does. Also I hate the side of tumblr that took the word 'feminist' and turned it to 'all men must die women must rule the world men are rats' shit. That's just terrible. I can't say i'm a 'real' feminist on their without people sending me stuff like 'oh you can't be a feminist if you have a boyfriend' and 'you like men! gasp!' both of which I have gotten.

But, hate aside, I love tumblr. I've met some great friends and people there, an like OP, i would have never heard of stuff like Skullgirls, Kill la Kill, ect if it wasn't for the site.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I'll stop laughing at Tumblr when it stops telling me that people identify themselves as a plant and prefer to be referred to as "bloomkin" or this "otherkin" stuff they keep spewing. Or I'll stop laughing at them when they stop treating me as some sort of monster because I was born a female and identify as female.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Zontar said:
Haru17 said:
It speaks volumes about the state of society that people have developed a derogatory term, "social justice warrior", for people who voice their moral conscious.
It's a lot more complicated then that.

Change "Social justice warrior" with "Klansman" and the argument holds about as much weight.

It isn't thrown at people who voice their moral conscious (hell, more people who speak out against the movement are doing the exact same thing when addressing it), it's a specific brand of (usually) left wing group-think that real feminists hate (the ones who aren't under 30 "fight the patriarchy that doesn't actually exists but who cares" brand which is more interested in yelling about why you should feel like a piece of shit for existing then making any argument or change. Assuming change is wanted since that would take away from things to complain about).

Like it or not, the public face of social justice is an ugly one, which is probably why there's been a sudden rise in the number of people calling themselves Egalitarians over the past few years and why the term has been take to mean equality for all instead of its former connotations as a part of the Libertarian philosophy.
"It's a lot more complicated than that." right before making a huge strawman argument that equates people on tumblr with the KKK. THE KKK KILLED PEOPLE YOU DOLT, people on tumblr just write mildly upset to angry posts on the internet and maybe attend some protests.

The rest of your post is just filled with random hate made up by Fox News that's not even substantiated enough to argue about.

Believe it or not there is a patriarchy. Income inequality among the genders and all the rich white CEOs & politicians prove that. If there wasn't a primarily patriarchal society there'd be no economical difference along gender lines.

People should be equal in the eyes of the law and in professional pursuits, but that's not how it is right now. So the people everything's stacked against complain, who wouldn't?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Vault101 said:
Saetha said:
Yeah, I'm... pretty sure it just doesn't really appeal to heterosexual women, and the fanworks scene is undoubtedly dominated by women. I mean, if it was because we demonize female sexuality or whatever, then wouldn't het not even be a thing? Het fanfic has plenty of sexually aggressive women in it. Slash fic's just more popular because it's double the attractive hot dudes.
I kind of butchered the point here's the article if youre in the mood for a read http://www.autostraddle.com/femslash-can-save-the-world-if-we-let-it-246684/
I love how that blog, written for and by lesbian/queer women - who you'd expect to understand the feeling of condemnation - had tons of comments to the effect of "Ewww! Bronies! God, they have lesbian slash fan-fics that demean our own because they clearly just want to jerk off!"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not filled with homophobic fury nor do I demand a Brony's Rights Movement; I'm just amused that the socially persecuted, persecute others. Not that I ever doubted oppressed minorities couldn't have their own share of twats....

Social justice disclaimer: This individual does not now or ever has equated mocking grown men watching colourful ponies to the struggles of the homosexual community and loves everyone of all creeds, colours and beliefs a big huggy bunch. Except Communists - fuck those guys!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Dragonlayer said:
I love how that blog, written for and by lesbian/queer women - who you'd expect to understand the feeling of condemnation - had tons of comments to the effect of "Ewww! Bronies! God, they have lesbian slash fan-fics that demean our own because they clearly just want to jerk off!"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not filled with homophobic fury nor do I demand a Brony's Rights Movement; I'm just amused that the socially persecuted, persecute others. Not that I ever doubted oppressed minorities couldn't have their own share of twats....
whadaya know people have opinions regardless of their orientation

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Vault101 said:
Dragonlayer said:

whadaya know people have opinions regardless of their orientation
Filthy lies!

Yes, I'm well aware of *that*, it just makes me chuckle that a blog piece proudly proclaiming the empowering greatness of femslash fan-fic is quick to point out that only the *right* kind of femslash is empowering.

Saltarius

Aug 30, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Every site has its bad sides, Tumblr just has the most vocal and hilarious of them right now, some of the shit that comes from there, you just can't make it up.

I remember surfing the Cultural Appropriation tag and was surprised how insanely racist and xenophobic people were, hell I saw someone condemning white parents who adopt non white kids, or white people having dread-locks. The scary part is they were just so proud of themselves for what they were saying.
Yeah, the blog you're referring to that talks about adopting non-white kids?

Run by a Neo-Nazi. Like, actual xenophobic, racist, every-race-stays-in-its-country Nazi.

And white dreads don't happen naturally compared to other cultures, so you look like shit if you try it, and the method for white dreads involves not washing among other things, which isn't required for other races but makes them look bad when it's done.

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
Honestly, I don't even know what tumblr is.

I know what twitter is and how it works, and know about vlogs and blogs and such, and got a facebook account myself.

But tumblr?

I can barely recall reading some tumblr site, and then it just seemed like an ordinary webpage. So yeah, I guess I can refrain from hating it, since I don't even fully understand what it is.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Maybe somebody's already said this, but the fact that you can be on Tumblr a lot and hardly ever see any stereotypical SJWs just proves you need to look for them. it doesn't mean there's not a ****load of them.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Queen Michael said:
Maybe somebody's already said this, but the fact that you can be on Tumblr a lot and hardly ever see any stereotypical SJWs just proves you need to look for them. it doesn't mean there's not a ****load of them.
Or...

The fact that you don't need to be on Tumblr, you can be on the... Oh I dunno, the Escapist, and finds loads of them from Tumblr, means there are.

(Also see my post on first page about how they are disliked because they are migrating to other websites and bringing arguments with them.)

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
I've been using Tumblr for about 3 years I think and I've never really understood the hate. I tend to agree with a lot of the "SJW" people in terms of social justice, but I will conceit that there are some straight white women that really feel it's their place to make authoritative comments on Racism and Homophobia when they really have no right to act like the number one place for information regarding those topics. As well I've noticed that there seems to be this concept of the oppression Olympics a few people will participate, acting like if you have to have a few checkmarks on a list of things before you can really be oppressed (Like, I've seen people that will act like they're all up for social justice then act like white homosexuals don't face any oppression at all because they're white).

Most of the time though I don't see social justice stuff on my dashboard and I'd have to really dig to find anything really bad that aren't just people on my dashboard making fun of some extremists. I guess that's because the majority of people I follow are from 4chan's /mu/ board so they'd rather post pictures or music than post essays on why some lowly internet commentator is some sort of "-ist".

I think the reason most people make Tumblr the go-to object for making fun of so-called "SJWs" is just because it's an easy target. I don't think it would be hard to find them on pretty much any other social website, but the design of Tumblr as a way to sort of share more long-winded opinions to large amount of people in a much easier fashion makes it a much easier punching bag. The same way the Anonymous nature of 4chan can attract people to spout vitriol without being scared of the consequences makes it an easy punching bag for people to call the worst place on the internet without having actually gone to the website. There are people that would say awful things on just about every other website on the internet, but they are less Anonymous so it discourages that kind of behaviour.

So while I can see why people use Tumblr as this big bad, I just don't really think it's warranted as the go-to thing.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Okay, I've skimmed through the thread, since I haven't slept for thirty hours now and am not in the right state of mind to read 5 pages of posts. However, this is what I think about it:

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE DO.

Seriously, this is happening everywhere, every time to everyone. Some leftist guy wants to make some stupid law? "Democrats want to enact [stupid law]." Some suicide bomber blows himself up? "Muslims want to destroy America". /b/ and /pol/ poke tumblr? "4chan raids tumblr"

People will always simplify this way. Get over it.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
I don't know, some of the hatred is justified. One of my biggest issues with Tumblr is that everyone says it's a welcoming community and it's not. It's welcoming if you're a very specific kind of person. Sure you can block tags but don't act like everyone actually flipping TAGS things. You can get away with not following people but if they're a big name in your part of that community it's actually incredibly limiting. You can block people and they can create subaccounts or other accounts.

Look I'm not trying to say it's the worst thing in the world or anything but it's NOT inclusive, and if you have a differing opinion you either get ignored into obscurity or attacked through various means. I really like tumblr, but it's nothing like a haven for me.