Can we stop with the "Batman is more relatable than Superman" thing?

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Corey Schaff said:
chocolate pickles said:
Corey Schaff said:
chocolate pickles said:
I relate more superman. Behind the powers, superman is just a regular dude. Bruce Wayne, however, is just a mentally ill, angry man.
<_< Hmm, that might explain why I identify with Batman more lol.
You mean your utterly consumed by vengeance, have very little interest in anything outside said vengeance, and take your frustrations out by beating up other mentally ill people?
You must be new here :p, I'm sure quite a few people would argue that's exactly the case.

But seriously, I consider Batman the better character because he has those flaws. Superman only gets interesting when they explore alternaties where, like any regular dude, Superman actually gets corrupted by the power he inherited.
honestly I find the whole superhero and specifically Superman turning evil played out to oblivion where it's not interesting to me anymore. Superman kills the Joker evil. Superman fails to save someone, evil Superman suddenly realizes he has powers that change the world evil. Superman spills the milk evil

it honestly one of the reasons I really love one punch man. it does the same ripping off a bunch of superheroes and the plots and deconstructing them like every other superhero story ever not from DC or Marvel. but it goes in a lot more lighthearted and unexplored areas with those tropes it picks apart.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Going by the movies I've seen of the charactars (and I hardly remember precisely which movies those were) I can easily say: no.

Superman is pretty much the embodyment of a bland superhero. He can do anything and can't be harmed except by a green mcguffin stuff. He should have been a videogame villian in the vain of ganondorf, not the main charactar of anything.

Batman is by no means a perfect charactar but he is at least occasionally remotely vulnerable in a way that isn't completely contrived. This is a thing the OP is missing. When people prefer batman to superman it isn't because batman is all that interesting but also because superman is so monumentally boring.

In any case, that one picture in some comic hardly gives us the definitive word on what batman is about as a charactar. So he is god now in one of the five billion comic books about him. If I had to explain who batman was to somebody who had never seen him or heard of him, I would not bring up his being a god in some comic this one time at all. And I really doubt you would either.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
ummm...no? I really don't think this has been made untrue somehow, so...no, we can't?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Fox12 said:
Well, he is more relateable then superman. A rock is more relateable then superman. My distaste for the man of steel has only increased after a certain hero blew open how incredibly stupid a bland, OP character really is.

I don't care that Superman is powerful. He's just so boring, and poorly developed. No personality whatsoever.

Cue someone talking about how he's a symbol of hope/what we should aspire to yada yada
You clearly never read any of the relevent comic books and now you compare him to the most egregious example of Flavor of the month anime?

Go watch this video and than buy some comic books:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZwIXn6aSQ

https://www.comixology.com/

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Scarim Coral said:
So just because he's a "god" now automactically means we should just abandoment him being relatable as a human being and competely forget all the times of his struggle and hardship as a human???

This argument is in the same league on why Superman Prime should be consider to be a fantastic villain!

FYI, if DC had tone down everyone powers then it would had been fine since they would no longer be consider to be god like.

EDIT- Also last time I've heard wasn't Bruce was supposely "died" and Gorden became a mecha Batman? What happened after that event?
What's so OP about other DC heroes compared to Marvel?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Well I never used that excuse to justify why I prefer Batman to Superman.

Heck I prefer most other heroes to Superman, for reasons other people gave in far fancier ways then I'd put it.

Anyways that pic made me lol, cheers for that.

Samtemdo8 said:
Seeing Batman in the center of a Justice League group shot is just wrong.
That's not how you say Batman & Friends! The Batman League is also acceptable.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
"Relatability" is the reason the recent films gave us a Superman who was a deadbeat stalker in Returns and an aimless drifter in Man of Steel.

Superman is a grown-up. Somebody who takes the burden of other people's problems onto his own shoulders because he can and he should. Batman is a grieving child who uses "crime" as an excuse to punch people in the face. He has infinite resources, but his best course of action in his eyes is dressing up every night and terrorizing muggers when he's not inadvertently escalating Gotham's criminals into supervillains.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Samtemdo8 said:
What's so OP about other DC heroes compared to Marvel?
I meant that from the movies sides of things-

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/joss-whedon-explains-why-dc-comics-movies-dont-work/

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
I think all superheroes are unrelatable crap invented to feed off lazy audience, and by XXI century this lazyness got as epic as it gets, and it will get even worse.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Realatability is relative.

Batman:
Do I relate to someone who personifies themselves as both bat and man dressed up in a costume to fight crime instead of a police uniform? No. Do I relate to a billionaire, specifically one who using his money to fund his vigilante activities to bring criminals to justice? Nope. Do I relate to another human being trying to help? Yep. Do I relate to losing both my parents at a young age? No.(Bonus points - he is a 30 something brunette white male)

Superman:
Do I relate to someone feeling like they don't belong and their problems are are hard to relate to? Yes. Do I relate to being invincible? No. Do I relate to someone trying to help? Yes. Do I relate to being adopted - much less by another species? No.

Both lists could go on. Either way it goes, neither of these two are THAT relatable to me.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
No I won't because I don't read comics and therefore they mean little to nothing to me.
I only look at the concept of the character.
The issue for me is simply that whatever struggles Superman has on an intimate level they are irrelevant when you have by default the power to save the world and it is in danger.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
So, New God Batman:
Uses his powers to stop crime in Gotham even more.

New God Superman:
Goes to a diner and starts shouting how he's better than everyone else.

---

I wonder who's more relatable.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Corey Schaff said:
chocolate pickles said:
Corey Schaff said:
chocolate pickles said:
I relate more superman. Behind the powers, superman is just a regular dude. Bruce Wayne, however, is just a mentally ill, angry man.
<_< Hmm, that might explain why I identify with Batman more lol.
You mean your utterly consumed by vengeance, have very little interest in anything outside said vengeance, and take your frustrations out by beating up other mentally ill people?
You must be new here :p, I'm sure quite a few people would argue that's exactly the case.

But seriously, I consider Batman the better character because he has those flaws. Superman only gets interesting when they explore alternaties where, like any regular dude, Superman actually gets corrupted by the power he inherited.
I am quite fond of red son :).

I just feel Superman behaves like a normal human being. Batman just seems like an emo.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Its because of that attitude is why we don't get any good Non Batman DC content. Name one GOOD Wonder Woman, Green Latern, and Flash comic book right out of your head?
I would, but I'm too busy relating to Batman.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I literally hate Batman with a passion. I find everything about him incredibly, and over-the-top boring-ly, lame.

Not to mention that besides not having powers there is pretty much nothing that anybody could ever find "relatable" about him.

1. Were both your parents murdered in front of you?
2. Are you one of the richest people in the entire world?
3. Do you have access to impossible-to-exist technology, devices, and gadgets which are essentially all super powers in and of themselves?

Batman is stupid, Batman is lame, not having super powers is literally the lamest thing about him, in some (most?) continuities he refuses to kill people even though it's the better option x1,000,000.

Batman is shit, Batman is boring, Batman is not relatable, Batman can suck a dick, I fucking hate Batman more than anything else in this entire world.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I don't find either of them particularly relatable tbh, but there are so many different interpretations I always find it difficult to make generalizations like that. I don't think the other being human and the other an alien necessarily makes the other more relatable, considering how I can't relate to most human characters at all...

I'm not as familiar with Superman though. I'm more a fan of Batman comics and like them for the villains and other members of the bat-family. Although I can like Batman and I'm a fan of less superpowered superheroes... But lot of writers just write him as superpowered anyway.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Whatislove said:
Not to mention that besides not having powers there is pretty much nothing that anybody could ever find "relatable" about him.

3. Do you have access to impossible-to-exist technology, devices, and gadgets which are essentially all super powers in and of themselves?
I think you've fundamentally misunderstood what 'relatable' means.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Denamic said:
Whatislove said:

I think you've fundamentally misunderstood what 'relatable' means.
I'm pretty sure relatable means being able to relate to something else.

Other than being human what else is there that we can relate to batman with?

He doesn't act like a human, he acts like a vengeance crazed super hero, he doesn't have a love/sex life like most of us, he lives a completely different life than pretty much all of us, both as batman, and as a "normal person". He isn't relatable at all.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
I have never managed to turn back time. I have never deflected bullets with my pectorals.

I frequently put on a cape and faff about, occassionally breaking into other people's homes and dance on the tables.

Ergo, Batman is way more relatable than Superman to me.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:
Well, he is more relateable then superman. A rock is more relateable then superman. My distaste for the man of steel has only increased after a certain hero blew open how incredibly stupid a bland, OP character really is.

I don't care that Superman is powerful. He's just so boring, and poorly developed. No personality whatsoever.

Cue someone talking about how he's a symbol of hope/what we should aspire to yada yada
You clearly never read any of the relevent comic books and now you compare him to the most egregious example of Flavor of the month anime?

Go watch this video and than buy some comic books:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZwIXn6aSQ

https://www.comixology.com/
I already have a comixology account.

Batman is a crazy nutter who lives alone in his mansion. His money doesn't make him happy, and he's got no family except an old man who will probably die soon, and a bunch of awkward teenagers. He absolutely can't get over his parents murder, and refuses to seek help. He spends his nights beating lunatics to a pulp, and his days either resting or tinkering with gadgets. His batman persona has eaten away at him until it's all that's left. Hate, and anger, and vengeance. I can't see him retiring, so he'll probably keep going until he dies. Almost all of his villains are the indirect result of his actions, including the joker, meaning that the city is probably less safe then when he started. Batman is the poster boy for having a self destructive personality. He's a hugely flawed character when handled well, and this makes him more human.

Superman doesn't have those flaws. He's morally perfect all the time. He's as physically powerful as the situation demands, making him a living deus ex machina. That's why I compared him to one punch man. It's silly. I can't relate to any of that. It's not that he's powerful, it's that he's a blatant Mary Sue and hero archetype, which I despise.

Edit: bat god is a pretty bad idea, no doubt. Supermans basically a god all the time, though, and I know for a fact that they've raised him to deity status before. In fact, they've probably made everyone a god at some point. Not very original.