Can you cook?

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
I cook and bake very well. Last thing I cooked was some broccoli alfredo and the last thing I baked was a pecan pie. I can cook all sorts of foods.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I don't cook anymore...
*Flashback*
...Not since "The incident".

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I'm good at cooking. It combines so many fascination things from different sciences. Like physiks, when it comes to the kind, size and shapes of pots and pans. Or chemistry, when it comes to adding which spice at what heat to not kill the flavour.

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
I don't know many recipes. But when I learn a recipe, I learn very quickly, which is way more than I can say for many people. So yes, I can cook.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Yes.
How well can you?
Fairly well. I cook about 85-90% of my own food.
What do you cook?
Made lasagna last night, and save for really obscure dishes, I can cook a pretty wide variety. My father and mother started teaching me when I was around 6, so I'd say I'm fairly experienced.

KindOfnElf

Mar 15, 2010
Yes, I can cook, it's not hard... well, sometimes is considered all the heat around it. I do cook almost everything, plus I learned to prepare macrobiotic meals with all the cereals and vegetable and... things in it.

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
I'm a fairly competent cook, i specialize in breakfast with a minor focus on chinese food.

in my experiences the two don't mix so well.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
I can make myself a bacon sandwich, I can follow simple recipes, I'm not the most skilled person with a knife (still bear a scar from when I was 6 or something), and I doubt I'd be able to live entirely self sufficiently, but I'll throw a decent meal together if pressed, and if I have something telling me how to do it.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
EBHughsThe1st said:
It's not taught in schools due to more focus on math and science due to the rise in information and jobs created by it.
We had a few cooking classes at school.

I personally love cooking. I'm a decent cook, and i'm getting better.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
I can cook - though I haven't cooked properly in a couple of years (lamb cutlets in a red wine and shallot sauce, damn it was good). Learned when I was at Unie the first time, then went home for a couple of years (so my parents cooked) then went back to uni, where for the last year practically everything has either been out of a microwave or a stir-fry.

My partner doesn't think I can cook, given that I've cooked for her about 3 times in the 6 months we've been together...but I've been really skint and worried that I've forgotten how to cook the fancy stuff.

Still, I can cook a mean spaghetti bolognaise, a killer stir-fry and a pretty good chilli - so I can just about feed myself ;)

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Pretty much anything except for pastry or cakes. They're fiddly buggers which need precise measurements and timing, I much prefer 'throw stuff around the right time' kind of meals. Developing different types of stew is a favourite of mine; shame they're either massively unhealthy or just have no flavour tho. ._.

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
I can cook really well for myself, but I'm not as good at making meals for other people. I like messing around and trying new stuff in the kitchen though.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
I can cook well enough that everyone in my family attacks my food the moment its done. I guess my cooking skills are decent, but I think the harder question is can you prepare food well. Cooking onions, dicing bell peppers and marinating meat always make me D:

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I am a decent cook. I find my own cooking delicious and am capable of cooking a wide enough variety of things that I am never bored with my own cooking. Cooking isn't a difficult skill to learn, it requires one, maybe two lessons on some basics, then some improvisation to find out what works well together. I enjoy cooking quite a lot, really. It's one of my favorite forms of entertainment. It helps that my roommate and I both really enjoy cooking, so we have good equipment for it, and a large selection of things so that we can cook from a variety of cultures.

Something that's confusing me is people saying "I can cook well enough for myself and a few people"... what does that even mean? You can cook well enough for a few people? Doesn't the amount of people you cook for depend largely on the amount of food being made, not on your culinary skills? Or is it something along the lines of only a few people can stand to eat your cooking? I don't get what that means. If you feel confident in your cooking enough to give it to other people then you are a decent cook, not that you are good enough to feed a "few people". Someone could feed 500 people shit and they're still not a good cook.

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
Anybody can cook if they have a recipe in front of them and everything they need to make it. Cooking well on the other hand...

I'm okay. I tend to be lazy and stick with things like a stir fry, omlette or just shit thrown in a pan/pans (like veg, fish, meat or a combination). When I have enough time on my hands I can cook a variety of things including gluten free pizza (with potato base, tastes much nicer than that sounds), curries and burgers. I also love making chips from potatos and seasoning them with stuff before cooking them but that's a side order really.

My favourite thing though is baking and apparently I'm pretty good. For example the tablet I made was, according to one of my friends, the best he'd tasted (and hadn't even told him I'd made it). I love baking cakes, pancakes, brownies and more. But then I've always had a very sweet tooth, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't eat chocolate (again).

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Pies, chilli, stir-fries, curries, casserole, pasta bakes, roast vegetables, garlic bread... I've got a fair range, within the sphere of vegetarian food.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Hell yeah I can cook. I have a decent size catalog of recipes in my head. I also take other peoples recipes and tweak them. Cooking is an art and a science rolled up into 1.