Canada

Zunni

Mar 16, 2011
Genericjim101 said:
Don't, they have given the world Justin Bieber and Nickelback, surely this is a good warning D :
And Pamela Anderson
And Julia Voth
And Tricia Helfer
And Malin Akerman
And Evangeline Lilly
And Anna Paquin
And Sunny Leone
And Elisha Cuthbert
And Rachel McAdams

You are welcome.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
(assuming you have a high tolerance for seasonal rain).
Just as a warning to those who see your post, he ain't joking. I certainly appreciate rain A LOT less after 8 months in Vancouver.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
Zunni said:
Genericjim101 said:
Don't, they have given the world Justin Bieber and Nickelback, surely this is a good warning D :
And Pamela Anderson
And Julia Voth
And Tricia Helfer
And Malin Akerman
And Evangeline Lilly
And Anna Paquin
And Sunny Leone
And Elisha Cuthbert
And Rachel McAdams

Your welcome.
Sorry a few pretty faces cannot undo the damage. But your retort also holds one obvious flaw : S

zomnomnom

Sep 29, 2011
My boyfriend lives in Toronto, and he hate hate HATES it. The traffic is a nightmare and so are most of the residents, apparently. This is going by what he's told me, though, so I may be wrong. I've never been to Toronto personally (hell, I've never even left Australia) but he's painted it as a terrible place.

But I'm interested in what other people have to say as well, since I'm planning on moving up there myself.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
Genericjim101 said:
It's revenge for all the "culture" America has dumped on us, so forgive us this, because we sure as hell didn't want to keep these bland, horrid examples of Lowest Common Denominator "entertainment"

Come to canada, we got rid of beiber and nickleback to make it a better place to live for all* :D

*except for Justin Beiber and Nickleback

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
PureChaos said:
So, has anyone been to a great place in Canada or lives in Canada that they think would be a good place to look into moving to?
At the risk of sounding biased, Ontario, seeing as I live in that province. If you want the cities, Toronto or Ottawa. Aside from lots of people, lots of diversity and culture. I live in Bolton which isn't that far from Toronto, but is pretty rural by comparison.

Canada has a lot of places that are named after places in Britain. As I stated before, I live in Bolton. There's also a London and a Kingston not that far drive from me as well.

That's the thing about Ontario, you could be in the middle of the wilderness then drive 20 minutes to a major city.

British Columbia is a pretty good choice as well.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
wrightguy0 said:
Genericjim101 said:
It's revenge for all the "culture" America has dumped on us, so forgive us this, because we sure as hell didn't want to keep these bland, horrid examples of Lowest Common Denominator "entertainment"

Come to canada, we got rid of beiber and nickleback to make it a better place to live for all* :D

*except for Justin Beiber and Nickleback
YAY! : D. However with long standing health issues I'd feel bad about going into a new country to live while having said problems.

ooknabah

Jul 4, 2010
Depends on what kind of place you're looking to live. I've lived in Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg and Vancouver and have spent plenty of time in Saskatoon, Montreal and Victoria (Sadly I've got little experience on the east coast, but I hear it's lovely.)

Quebec is probably the most difficult province to live in for various reasons: Rural areas tend to be fairly insular and French is necessary everywhere outside of some parts of Montreal, particularly if you're looking to work. That being said, Montreal is one of my favorite cities in the world, and there's a lot of like about it.

The majority of Canada's population lives in the St. Laurence Basin, which is the area that includes Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and the many cities that surround it. If you're looking for big city life, that's really your best bet. The weather is fairly moderate, although not as temperate as on the west coast.

Northern Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are largely rural, with a few cities where the majority of the population dwell. If you're looking for small town life, there's plenty to enjoy out here and cost of living can be quite reasonable, although it's all been going up in the past little while. Winters can be quite hellish. Of the cities, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina are of note- Winnipeg is a great town and shithole at the same time, wracked with insecurity and responsibility of being the only city around for hours. It's a love hate kind of place: I love it, but I recently moved away, so take that for what you will. Saskatoon is quite nice although similarly isolated. In fact, all four cities are known for having that small town living feel- Winnipeg has over 600,000 people living in the city proper and everyone is still connected by a degree or two of separation- while having the benefits of city life.

Alberta is more of the same, rural wise, although it's two big cities, Edmonton and Calgary are both on the rise. Edmonton is more arts inclined, while Calgary has always been big business. Alberta is known as the Texas of Canada: That's pretty apt, particularly in Calgary where non-ironic cowboy hats are in evidence frequently. Cost of living is pretty nuts in Calgary though: It's been booming for a while (it's an oil town!) so be prepared.

Finally, BC- I'm currently living in Vancouver and I love it to death. The weather is much more temperate on this side of the mountains and while it rains a lot, I'm looking forward to a mild winter. Life on the island is quite beautiful- Victoria is like a city out of a picture book, except for all the junkies, and there are some areas that are more or less unchanged from the original British colonization. The interior is also quite nice, although you really need a car if you're planning on getting into the city or whatnot. Actually, unless you're living in one of the major centers, a car is a must, as there isn't a really good system connecting the cities: Flying is expensive, buses are slow, trains are both slow AND expensive. I guess that's what you get when are your cities are so far away from each other.

Obviously, the biggest thing you need to work out is how you would be working out here: The job market is pretty depressed these days, although if you've got trade skills you're pretty much set. I hope at the very least you consider a trip out to this beautiful country. Canada is a wonderful place to call home and I'm very proud to do so. Cheers!

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
I live in toronto, and i have to say its one of the nicest cities i have ever been too. The people are mostly nice (although people will tell you otherwise) Everything is very clean, public transit is pretty decent compared to most cities, and it is a major entertainment hub for north america so you get all the best movies and concerts. (just don't go to quebec, rule of thumb is that everyone inside quebec hates everyone outside of quebec and vice versa)

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Id pick a town outside of Toronto but close enough for a train ride.

Pickering is a nice city imo, whitby isn't bad either

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
Genericjim101 said:
Once again, we are very, very, very f*cking sorry.

"enable calefic" No comment... 0______________________0

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
penguindude42 said:
Genericjim101 said:
Once again, we are very, very, very f*cking sorry.

"enable calefic" No comment... 0______________________0
Well as long as neither of those fuckers are near Edmonton I'll go stalk Bioware.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
martintox said:
I would recommend Montreal, but I don't think you speak french.

usmarine4160 said:
Just stay away from Quebec, they're like french stereotypes that are twice as snobbish
You have just made yourself an enemy.
they also made a best friend ;)

simmeh

Jan 25, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
CrashBang said:
...Hamilton ...
Having lived in this hellhole for the better part of a decade, I can say that you do NOT want to live there, especially now that the entire downtown core has rotted out because the steel mills died.

Burlington/Oakville are nicer, but more expensive.

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
Vancouver. I've never been personally, but everyone I talked to in Seattle loves it. People I talked to in San Francisco.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ZombieInUrBathtub said:
My boyfriend lives in Toronto, and he hate hate HATES it. The traffic is a nightmare and so are most of the residents, apparently. This is going by what he's told me, though, so I may be wrong. I've never been to Toronto personally (hell, I've never even left Australia) but he's painted it as a terrible place.

But I'm interested in what other people have to say as well, since I'm planning on moving up there myself.
He wouldn't be wrong. You have to time things very carefully to get through Toronto in good time. It's one of the few cities where I can say that walking can get you where you need to go faster than driving.