Canada

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I went to the West coast and I have to say that Calgary was pretty badass. It's where I'd choose to go.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Genericjim101 said:
Don't, they have given the world Justin Bieber and Nickelback, surely this is a good warning D :
Canada also bestowed Devin Townsend upon the world, and that automatically cancels out any shitty artists / bands throughout history and forever.

OT: Vancouver. Because Devin Townsend lives there! Or at least he's from Vancouver originally. Good enough for me.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I live in Hamilton Ontario, but I can't really say a damn thing as I almost NEVER get out of the house.

But if you have problems with your lungs or something, stay the fuck away from Hamilton. We produce 60% of the steel used in Canada here. That shit is not good for the lungs.

PS: Be prepared for winter if you do come to Canada. Get a shovel and get your back in shape. Winter in Canada is pure evil.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Vancouver is the most beautiful city ever, almost like California. Way too expensive. Toronto is a nice city, but really expensive too with lotsa gov regulation. Edmonton/Calgary are nice smaller cities but litteraly deadly cold in January. Dirt cheap. I don't know anywhere else, those are the only cities I've lived in.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Genericjim101 said:
Don't, they have given the world Justin Bieber and Nickelback, surely this is a good warning D :
Yeah, bloody Canadians, creating all those successful music bands and actors and video games, maintaining a stable economy and having clean air, offering public health care and and remaining a country of tolerance into the 21st Century, where do they get off?

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I live in Ontario and despite what people often say about Toronto, I don't find it that bad. Can't say much specific about Ontario besides that it has some nice history (definitely nothing on the level of most places in Europe, but it's there), many different kinds of people and probably one of the more stable climates in Canada. I also hear that Vancouver, Quebec and Saskatchewan are pretty good places to live.

SnakeoilSage said:
Genericjim101 said:
Yeah, bloody Canadians, creating all those successful music bands and actors and video games, maintaining a stable economy and having clean air, offering public health care and and remaining a country of tolerance into the 21st Century, where do they get off?
Our healthcare system isn't really that amazing since we barely have any doctors because they all move to the US where they can actually make money. Ah, the burdens of equality...

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
Toronto and the Toronto area in the Ontario province. It's not unbearably cold and you don't need to drive miles to get anywhere. Also I hear that Prince Edward Island is a nice place to live.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Genericjim101 said:
Considering all the good Canadian musicians almost never find any success outside of Canada, I wouldn't say it's that we gave the world Justin Bieber or Nickelback. More like you guys snapped them up and made them famous.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Genericjim101 said:
Those (and Celine Dion) are our vengance on the US for the years of riducule and name calling...

OT: Come to BC, (or more specificly Victoria). The weather is nice, the people are friendly...but yes the cost of living is kinda high.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I've lived in Winnipeg all my life. Not a bad city, crime is an issue in the north end, but in the south, nothing happens. Crime is due to a stupid mayor and a large Aboriginal population and they are treated poorly. Uncomfortable situation all around.

Very good music and art scenes, year round activities, the city is very old in places and lots of historical sites. Cost of living is low compared ti elsewhere. 2 bedroom apartment is 7-800 a month here (in the good parts of town), but over 1000 in Vancouver or Toronto. Salary is the same. There are parks all over the place, and lots of geek culture here.

Best transit system in Canada, too. One end of the city to the other in 2 buses and about an hour (no traffic). My issue is bad city planning, hard to get downtown during rush hour unless you're in a bus. Some of the newer parts of town are long bus rides. Large immigrant communities, the city is incredibly multicultural. Can see the stars and the Northern Lights from your house. Kid and pet friendly amenities, lots of taxis, lots of bars, 2 major universities and lots of theatres.

And it's fucking cold in the winter. My family has lived in Manitoba for.... 4 generations? 1800s anyway. Both sides, back a few generations all around.

I want to move to Medicine Hat or Lethbridge, Alberta as it's a bit warmer, sunnier, and I love the landscape. Also, my parents are retiring to Vancouver Island and I don't like the mountains so it's closer. I want to live in a small town and Winnipeg is growing immensely. Also, IKEA opens next year. So happy.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
Go north young man, Go north. Chicks up there, while you have to pick and choose, go batshit for guys with accents, which being from the UK you will have. I would recommend Whitehorse, or at least go live and work in Dawson City, YK for a summer. Nothing like partying with 24hours of sunlight. Also, less people. Which is a huge plus.

Here is a slightly racist breakdown for you, based on your interests:

DO YOU:
Like to drink a lot? East coast
Like to pretend you are american? Ontario
Like to act butthurt about your language slowly dying? Quebec
Like to ***** about people with different coloured skin and pretend you know how to ride a horse? anywhere in the middle
Like to tell EVERYONE you meet how much better where you live is than them? BC, Vancouver especially.
Like to do your own thing, and can handle Ball-destroying cold? Territories

Best way to do it is backpack across the country, take a couple months and see what you like best.

Noyourjoanzy

Dec 7, 2010
Montreal is probs the best city for culture and to quote some Americans I met there "mad titties"
Edmonton is fine, but the transit is balls and it's the murder capital
Calgary has nice weather the transit is alright at best, but it's the red neck capital
Stay away from Saskatchewan unless you are sexually attracted the wheat
Vancouver is pretty good I guess, though it is the drug Capital Canada
Toronto, best transit, good shopping, traffic capital of Canada

ooknabah

Jul 4, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
Best transit system in Canada, too.
With all due respect, this is very, very wrong. I lived in Winnipeg for 10 years, and compared to Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and pretty much any other city that comes to mind, the transit is pretty horrible. It's getting better, but until some rapid transit actually exists and the urban sprawl is slowed down, transit in Winnipeg will always be the shits.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Noyourjoanzy said:
Stay away from Saskatchewan unless you are sexually attracted the wheat
Thank you, you just made my day. (I have a friend who just moved there.)

Silent_Protagonist

Jul 6, 2011
I live in Ontario so I would say go there :p But every city in Canada is good. They all have pros and cons. British Columbia is great right now, Saskatchewan is doing well, Alberta is in need of jobs (BUT they are very, VERY Right-wing there. Could be good or bad for you). Manitoba is having some problems, id stay away from there, Ontario is great, again. And Quebec is for the French, so I wouldn't recommend there. Any one of the Atlantic Provence's are great as well. Very nice and small communities (might be nice being from a smaller country, compared to Canada)

But yes, we all are very nice here, so wherever you go, you'll enjoy yourself! :D

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
PureChaos said:
I live in the UK but been thinking recently of moving to Canada as i've heard it's a great place to live. Thing is, it's absolutely MASSIVE so...where? I heard Ontario was nice thinking Ontario was a town but turns out it's a province.

So, has anyone been to a great place in Canada or lives in Canada that they think would be a good place to look into moving to?
I know a few good people from Canada, and I hear its a nice place to live though expensive in some areas and apparently despite what people say, has its share of violent criminal activities.

On a side note, I love how some Canadians like to tout how they "burned down the White House" in the War of 1812 but forget the fact that they weren't Canadians then, rather part of the British Empire so the "victory" doesn't count. Makes me wonder just what Canadian schools teach about their history lol.