Canadian Coins Go Cryptozoological

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
The cin nut inside me just went crazy, wish I had some disposable cash to waste on these.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
I've gotta admit, that's pretty awesome. The most awesome coin I have is a 1986 £2 coin:
Yep. Pales in comparison, right?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
the Jackalope
I don't mean to sound rude, but the jackalope is NOTa cryptid.

It's a long running joke/creature of folklore like the boogyman.

Cryptzoology studies creatures that have evidence for their exitence, but not scitenfically recognized due lack of direct credible first hand evidence.

Nobody ever found the boogyman, the jackalope, or a snipe.

The coelacanth, Opaki, gaint squid, and Hoan Kiem turtle were examples of ACTUAL now regonizied animals that used to be cryptids

I actually am insulted by this, cryptozoology has gotten more and more bad PR due to stuff like the Water Horse and The Secret saturdays.

It would be nice if you either removed the jackalope, or added info on the actual scientific impact the field has made.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Nice to see that we get some colour on our quarters finally. Sucks because the only colour before was the red poppy, which is depressing.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Javarino said:
... I haven't heard of those last two, well EVER. Why couldn't they do the Ogopogo from Lake Okanagan in BC?
Also this.

The Memphre is a actual cryptozoological beast, but the Mishepishu I have never heard off, and as far as I can tell, it's purely folklore.

I'm not canadian, and even I knew about the Ogopogo before I got into cryptozoology.

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
Staskala said:
I wouldn
Andy Chalk said:
Obviously you're not going to pick up a roll or two to blow at the laundromat, but as a collector's item, a cool birthday gift for the kids or just for something to wave in the faces of friends whose money is all green and boring, I think these things are about as cool as a coin is going to get.
Nothing cool about silver, I'd go for commemorative gold coins instead. Unless you really like the... design.
What are you talking about? Silver is awesome!

OT: Man, those are way cooler then the state quarters or the dollar coins with presidents on them.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
...or a snipe....

Unless you meant something entirely different in which case I apologise, and move on swiftly.

OT: That's pretty sweet. The closest I have to that is a Golden Jubilee 5 pound coin which is kinda sucky.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Yay, go Canada! More for the collection, to go with my obsolete 1 and 2 dollar bills and 50 cent piece XD

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
Yeah, I don't know about dropping $25 on a quarter.
Javarino said:
... I haven't heard of those last two, well EVER. Why couldn't they do the Ogopogo from Lake Okanagan in BC?
My first thought when I read the title was that there must be an Ogopogo one. I am disappoint.

We need to make a petition. I might actually think about getting one if they had the Ogopogo.

CrazyDave DC

Apr 14, 2010
nin_ninja said:
Nice to see that we get some colour on our quarters finally. Sucks because the only colour before was the red poppy, which is depressing.
Aren't there pink breast cancer ribbon coins in circulation as well, not to mention a few olympic quarters with red maple leafs? I like to collect coins...

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Crazy Canadian money indeed. First plastic bills, and now this. Hell, I still have a 25 cent Canadian bill in my coin collection. Also, no Ogopogo? I am very disappointed.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
The Diabolical Biz said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
...or a snipe....

Unless you meant something entirely different in which case I apologise, and move on swiftly.

OT: That's pretty sweet. The closest I have to that is a Golden Jubilee 5 pound coin which is kinda sucky.
Never heard of a snipe hunt?

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
The Diabolical Biz said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
...or a snipe....

Never heard of a snipe hunt?
I get it now. Still, they're real!

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
TimeLord said:
Dammit Canada! Why do you get to have all the fun?

*goes back to trying to exchange bottlecaps at my local bank*
We only take NCR dollars here. perhaps you would be more suited in freeside/ >_> <_<

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
Javarino said:
Because that would require Eastern Canada acknowledging that the West actually exists.
Hold on a second here. You're telling me that there's even more Canada past the Ontario border? I thought everything after Toronto was just forested wastelands.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Looks hokey to me.
I'll wait until they're actually in circulation before believing it.
(I have a friend up in Canada, he can confirm this if it happens)

On the other hand, Canadian coinage is considerably more awesome than most classic American coinage.

Javarino

Mar 15, 2010
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
Javarino said:
Because that would require Eastern Canada acknowledging that the West actually exists.
Ya, I know right? I just assumed that since the Sasquatch was in then Ogopogo should have been as well (they're both from Western Canada). Maybe then thats just it. They chose one cryptid from the west and decided to find some obscure Eastern one so it wouldn't look like they were giving us equal treatment. AWWW HELL NO.