Canadian Game Industry Seeks to Jail Pirates

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Canadian Game Industry Seeks to Jail Pirates

The Entertainment Software Association of Canada [http://www.theesa.ca/] is calling for tougher copyright laws in the country, including jail time for pirates and the criminalization of mod chips.

Canada is the third-largest videogame developer in the world, behind only the U.S. and Japan, ESAC Executive Director Danielle Parr told a handful of MPs at an industry lobbying event in Ottawa. But that success has to be protected with stronger copyright laws, she added, saying, "At the federal level, the primary issue for us... is the protection of intellectual property."

A bill modeled after the Grassroots resistance [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA] to the bill was strong, with critics claiming it was overly restrictive and would leave individual citizens exposed to huge fines. Nonetheless, Parr called for similar legislation to be introduced "as soon as possible."

Among the changes called for by the ESAC is the right for the Canada Border Services Agency [http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html] - what used to be called Customs - to seize goods they know to be pirated, something they cannot currently do without a court order, as well as stronger penalties, including jail time, for intellectual property crime and the outlawing of mod chips. "In Canada, these [mod chip] devices are not illegal," she said. "They're illegal in virtually every other country."

Edmonton Member of Parliament Mike Lake, whose constituency includes famed developer BioWare [http://www.bioware.com], said the government was planning to introduce a new copyright law but wouldn't specify when, saying only, "It should happen in this Parliament." He added that the bill was a "priority" for the government and said it would benefit not just the game industry but also the music, movie and television industries as well.

Source: Canada.com [http://www.canada.com/Life/Gaming+industry+pleads+with+copyright+protection/1523774/story.html]

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/raybdbomb/2213328829/])

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
They dont seem to be asking the earth, just that those who break copyright law pay the price for it.
All power to them i say.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
More of Canada's "Me Too" approach to bloody well everything...

But I suppose it's not too bad... as long as they don't go overboard.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Yes, because the DMCA's policy of turning purchasing software into a glorified lease [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.74242] is so great.

Malygris said:
criminalization of mod chips
Why do I get the feeling that the language regarding this will be vague legal jargon that companies like Apple will exploit to prosecute anyone who don't use their official peripheals with their products.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well even if something were to happen, don't expect it soon folks, canadian government is slow when it comes to legislation

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
i buy my games, if unavailable here i order them, i make sure its legal purchase, and i never copy+sell i used to copy GBA games to my computer when mine was lost (as they are legal as "backup files" but only if you have legal proof of purchase)

i hope i dont do anything illigal as in canada it has never had too strict of piracy laws, i always thought if i did something wrong i would pay a fine if i had to its compensation but jailing.... ouch....

EDIT: well i did mod one of my ps2's (my big one) idk if thats illigal but i think is =/

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Jailing is fine, but they'll have to make some camps because I don't think its feasible or economic to put 1000000+ people into regular prisons.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Uh oh. Hide the stuff. They're coming!!

Oh man, I used to download movies by the dozen. I wonder what would the guys from Isohunt are saying right now.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Man, this is getting sadder than the war on drugs. At least you can go bust a coke dealer or something and pretend like you're winning that battle despite the reality. But copyright infringement? What are you going to do? Fine the servers? Go after each individual pirate? They're better off developing the tech to stream games like with OnLive than this insanity.

Still watching the smoldering corpse that is the RIAA.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
Man, this is getting sadder than the war on drugs. At least you can go bust a coke dealer or something and pretend like you're winning that battle despite the reality. But copyright infringement? What are you going to do? Fine the servers? Go after each individual pirate? They're better off developing the tech to stream games like with OnLive than this insanity.

Still watching the smoldering corpse that is the RIAA.
I have to agree, these feel good wars do nothing. This is the last we'll hear about this for 2 reasons. Canadian government sucks so it'll never even get voted on and 2 if it does, it'll never pass.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
More of Canada's "Me Too" approach to bloody well everything...

But I suppose it's not too bad... as long as they don't go overboard.
At least we don't have a Canadian Jack Thompson yet.
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO EVEN MENTION THAT?!?

Now one will spawn. And it's all your fault.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
I'm not stupid, I know full well that mod chips (or console modding) can allow you to pirate games. But I find it ridiculous to criminalize them; how about their legal use? I'm talking about backing up your software (CDs and DVDs) so that you don't scratch them, especially if it's a relatively rare game like Suikoden II? How about importing Japanese games which will never be published here, like Namco x Capcom or Super Robot Wars Z? Heck, Namco x Capcom has a fan created translation patch, and I know there are more patches forthcoming, forget about playing the patched game on anything but a modded PS2. (I'm not taking emulation into account here.)

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
This won't matter. The odds of getting the guy who torrents everything and the unlucky mother who just wanted to get her song on her Zune because she bought it on Itunes and Itunes refused to let her use it on anything but apple products so she "Illegally" downloads something she already owns is the god damn same. In fact, you are more likely to get those once and a while "criminals" then you are the hardcore offenders.

Just dumb. Take a different approach Canada because this will only create sob stories and fix nothing.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
Modders and pirates will just find new ways, just as drug dealers and other illicit activists have. Do you think meth would have been invented if the gov't didn't bust people's balls over imported drugs? Meh, probably. But still, its like piling sand to get to the moon.

Silly Canada, trying to be taken seriously.
No offense to Canadian Escapists. I live in the US, so yeah... no legs to stand on.

Feb 13, 2008
Let's see, taking this to the extreme case it may be used for. Can you prove all your mp3's on your mp3 player are originals? If not, then it's off to jail for you, m'lad.

BTW, I still have and use a VCR :)