Canadian Songwriters Propose All-You-Can-Download Net Tax

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
so what people who pay for their music say fuck it and turn in their Itunes for Bittorrent. I mean thats a great way to go, 10 songs for 10 bucks vs 60+ gigs a month of music.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
$10 a month for a clear conscience... that makes sense to me...

Hell, it makes sense to me... everyone gets their music, everyone gets their money and everyone is happy...

UnkeptBiscuit

Jun 25, 2009
This is a good idea, but how is the money getting to the artists? If it's all going to the SAC, then (assuming I was Canadian) I would download all the music I normally buy legally illegally just to stick a giant middle finger at them.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
And are we forgetting this is Canada. The country that wants to charge people for how much internet they use in the first place. This is just messed up.

findler

Jun 19, 2009
Why would we ever agree to this in Canada? We already have unlimited downloading of music due to our inability to stop piracy in our country. I can't see people wanting to pay extra out of goodwill alone.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is ridiculous. Haha, they made up a statistic to make "pirates" pay the state for music "stolen" from record companies? How does that make any sense at all. In order for the industry to benefit from that, they would have to nationlize the industry and subsidize it with said tax money. That made up statistic also makes sure to encompass people who may not be guilty of downloading music illegally. And so we return to kindergarten politics, where the few do something bad and the whole are made to pay for it. You honestly can't blame the bad for such poor policy. You can argue that if they didn't do it, it wouldn't be so. But at this point, the mere threat is what people make these policies for.

mjc0961 said:
This might help, but it wouldn't stop it. There are always some super-selfish people who are going to say "$10? No way, downloading it illegally is free."
They can't not pay it. That is the point. Everyone pays this, if you want internet, you pay this extra tax. But this isn't going to recoup money for record companies or artists. It would actually serve to put the final nail in the coffin.

I feel sorry for musicians the most, first they are raped by the record company, then raped by piracy, then raped by government. The laws of human action dictate that soon, the people will stop making music. They will reap no benefits from their hard work in the field, so they will have to re-allocate time to things that will make them money, such as data entry or government work. You know how creative those government workers are.

Tankichi said:
120 a month for all the music you want? Doesn't actually sound like a bad idea.
Wow, you must spend a lot of money on music if that seems like a good idea to you. You must be Oprah rich.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
squid5580 said:
And are we forgetting this is Canada. The country that wants to charge people for how much internet they use in the first place. This is just messed up.
Hmm, "Canada" didn't endorse usage-based billing at all, it's something the CRTC tried to push through until they've been told "reverse it, or *I* reverse it" by Stephen Harper, our PM...

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
So let me get this straight. 10$ a month and I can download as much free music as I want, and it'll be legal?

If so, I could see this as a good thing.

Well, except the part where people who don't do this have to pay money for nothing.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Mekado said:
squid5580 said:
Hmm, "Canada" didn't endorse usage-based billing at all, it's something the CRTC tried to push through until they've been told "reverse it, or *I* reverse it" by Stephen Harper, our PM...
o-o Wow. Steven Harper gained my respect.

Squigie

Nov 20, 2009
Sacman said:
$10 a month for a clear conscience... that makes sense to me...

Hell, it makes sense to me... everyone gets their music, everyone gets their money and everyone is happy...
Such services already exist.

http://www.rhapsody.com
http://www.emusic.com

And the artists even get paid if their not Canadian.

"Everyone's guilty, so everyone has to pay." Yeah, sure. That makes so much sense.

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
Quick questions:

1. What if you don't download music illegally?
2. Is this just for downloading the music of canadian artists? (If it falls under Canadian copyright law, then i may mean that the downloader is a Canadian citizen, and the artist doesn't matter)

This... actually sounds like a good idea. This about it. People download hundreds of songs illegally a month. When you purchase songs legally, it costs a buck or so for each song. So the industry wants to give us unlimited downloads and all we have to pay is 10 dollars? This sounds awesome!

In fact, it may actually encourage more downloading because it will be legal, and you would want to download at least 10 songs a month to make up the difference.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
So am I going to have to have to pay an extra $10 to be allowed to download movies? How about an extra $10 for games? Books? Pictures? What if I don't do any of these things? Is my internet bill going to cost an extra $50 a month for other people doing such a thing?

I will definately say that I'm not in agreement with this idea...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Since not everyone pirates music (I download music, but everything I listen to is legally free) I'm opposed to this. They're basically getting tons of money for not doing a damn thing.

IF you want to do this, just setup a site with a $10 a month membership that allows you to direct download high quality MP3s or FLAC files, DRM free, as much as you want.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mekado said:
squid5580 said:
Uhh trying to push? Both Rogers and Bell already do it here in Ontario. Rogers has for years. I don't know how long Bell has.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
squid5580 said:
Mekado said:
squid5580 said:
Uhh trying to push? Both Rogers and Bell already do it here in Ontario. Rogers has for years. I don't know how long Bell has.
If you mean quotas, yes all the big ISP's have them, what they were trying to push was that Bell/Rogers could now charge these fees through their resellers meaning the small ISP (who obviously lease some lines from Bell or whoever) would have been forced to charge it too.

So, in effect, that would have eliminated "plan B, going with another ISP" if you need a lot of bandwitdh, since every single ISP would charge this, this would also have killed a lot of smaller ISP's, since they usually set themselves apart from the "big boys" with huge/no quotas and/or smaller fees.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
A lot of places already do this. Down here in Australia at least, products in a store are marked up to account for the profit lost due to shoplifting. I agree that punishing the people who do the right thing may not be the best way to go, but I honestly cannot come up with a better solution.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mekado said:
squid5580 said:
Mekado said:
squid5580 said:
If you mean quotas, yes all the big ISP's have them, what they were trying to push was that Bell/Rogers could now charge these fees through their resellers meaning the small ISP (who obviously lease some lines from Bell or whoever) would have been forced to charge it too.

So, in effect, that would have eliminated "plan B, going with another ISP" if you need a lot of bandwitdh, since every single ISP would charge this, this would also have killed a lot of smaller ISP's, since they usually set themselves apart from the "big boys" with huge/no quotas and/or smaller fees.
Those smaller companies keep their bandwidth use down by having shit internet speed. At least that is the case in my only plan B. It is why I am with Bell now.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
squid5580 said:
Mekado said:
squid5580 said:
Mekado said:
squid5580 said:

Those smaller companies keep their bandwidth use down by having shit internet speed. At least that is the case in my only plan B. It is why I am with Bell now.
You are indeed correct for most cases.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gaderael said:
SO, they want to charge me up to $120 a year for something that is already legal (or at the minimum a grey area) for me to do?
Not that it's really relevant to the matter at hand but... legal how?