Canadian Songwriters Propose All-You-Can-Download Net Tax

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Gaderael said:
SO, they want to charge me up to $120 a year for something that is already legal (or at the minimum a grey area) for me to do?
Not that it's really relevant to the matter at hand but... legal how?
From my understanding of the law, currently, because of the extra few cents that are placed on CD-R's, and other blank media (based on an agreement with the federal government and the Canadian music industry. I cannot remember which group exactly), the industry here left open a loophole which allows you and I to trade and share or music. Sort of. You can download from me, and I can download from you, but the act of the two of us uploading music is illegal. It's strange, but right now, We can block uploading on whatever P2P method you choose, and just downloading, and we would not be breaking the law.

Now, this is what I have gathered over the last ten years or so of following the laws regarding music downloads, and a site like Michael Geist's [http://www.michaelgeist.ca/] would be much more informative in regards to copyright law here.

If you have more knowledge in regards to the copyright laws, then by all mean,s please share it. I could be completely off base with my presumptions. The last thing I want is to be but on Probation or something for admitting to downloading when I thought for sure it was legal here.