Cancelling the Apocalypse - Pacific Rim 2 Is No More - Update

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Johkmil said:
Why does this keep happening?

I'm still waiting for At the Mountains of Madness, for Azathoth's sake!

I need to stop being a Del Toro fan, there is too much pain.
I know.
Me too.
I feel it also.

Ron Pearlman was a sure fit for the shoggoth.

Would you believe it was promethius of all movies that cause ITMOM to be hiatused?
They felt it'd be too similar.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Zhukov said:
If this means he can make another Hellboy movie instead then I ain't complaining.
I think that dream is dead. I don't understand why he doesn't Kickstart that project. Who wouldn't contribute to Hellboy 3?
Hellboy 2s budget was 85 million, the highest funded film Kickstarter so far raised under 6 million. Even being optimistic, he'd still have to raise 10s of millions from investors

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Yeah WB that's nice... throw a moneky wrench into this while funneling more money into the invariably doomed BvS

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
Jack Action said:
Adam Jensen said:
Zhukov said:
If this means he can make another Hellboy movie instead then I ain't complaining.
I think that dream is dead. I don't understand why he doesn't Kickstart that project. Who wouldn't contribute to Hellboy 3?
Anyone who watched Hellboy 2.
Hellboy 2 was awesome. The thing is, it was made to be a second part of the trilogy, which is kind of obvious. It wasn't meant to be a standalone movie with a satisfying conclusion of its own.
Its plot relied entirely on everyone involved being a complete moron, from the elven twins to Liz to Abe, all the way to the people who split up the crown, and the imbecilic elves who created the Golden Army in the first place.

Though to be fair, most people in Pacific Rim were idiots, too.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
First tron:leagacy 2 gets the axe, now pacific rim 2... why does everything i REALLY wanna see get canned lately? The first movie had major flaws to be sure but i love me some giant robots.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm not sure what a sequel could have brought us. Unlike Godzilla, we saw plenty hence why a sequel to the latter is required just so the title is legit this time around. I hope they follow through with King Kong Vs Godzilla at least.

major_chaos said:
OK, A Del Toro project getting canned isn't a surprise, Pacific Rim not getting a sequel isn't a surprise. What is however very surprising to me is that a. Hellboy 3 is a thing anyone considered and b. people liked Hellboy. Really? Hellboy? as far as I can remember those movies hit basically all the same low points as Bayformers, except you could actually follow the shitty toothless CGI-fest action scenes and the lifeless forgettable (outside Perlman as Hellboy) cast was less skin peelingly annoying.
Same low points? So Hellboy and it's sequel were 3 hour product placement laden, overly edited bloated action maelstroms filled with sexist, racist and homophobic caricatures that had higher billing than the titular characters?

It's fine if you didn't like Hellboy but come on, let's be reasonable, they are not Bayformers in the slightest. Also, Hellboy II in particular, had a lot of really neat practical effects and make up, more than most films with CGI even.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'm one of the many who really wasn't all that impressed with Pacific Rim. It had one great action sequence that was largely overshadowed by the fact that they destroyed the really cool robots in about 10 seconds, surrounded by about 90 minutes of filler that just seemed to drag on forever. That being said, the foundation for greatness was there, so I was really hoping they'd redeem themselves with a sequel.

But anyway, as someone mentioned, now maybe Del Toro can start looking at Hellboy 3. He really needs to get on it as well, when you consider the fact that Ron Perlman is 65 years old now. I can't imagine that wearing all that makeup and latex is easy at any age, but when you're old enough to collect social security it can be a nightmare.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
008Zulu said:
Lame.

Maybe China's movie industry will pick up the slack.
"China's movie industry"

I'm sure that particular industry is about as original as every other Chinese industry.

In other words, completely reliant on aping every one else's culture.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
It's a weird film, the trailer, specifically the bit with the giant mech dragging an oil tanker through the streets wrote a massive cool cheque that the movie in the end just couldn't cash. It had so much potential but ended up falling a bit flat and as some else said it took the illogical course of killing off all the cool interesting mechs in the first big fight and replacing them with the two most boring ones. Then again

I am well on board with that opinion, I would rather see another Hellboy movie long before another Pacfic Rim.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Good. Pacific Rim was awful. Everything about it was complete me-bait (kaiju, giant robots, Idris Elba...) and even I thought it sucked. It lacked any sense of tonal consistency, anything resembling smart or witty dialogue, and the all the big setpiece fight scenes occurred under conditions (at night, in the rain, under water) that made it hard to follow what was going on.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
By the way, some seem to think it was because of the possible new King Kong vs Godzilla film: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/king-kong-vs-godzilla-vs-pacific-rim-2/19195

If that is why... I'm ok with that.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Well that saddens me, I personally loved Pacific Rim, I'm not denying it was a stupid film but I enjoyed how stupid it was and the action was really cool...*sigh* I guess add another thing to the growing list of why I hate hollywood...

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Johkmil said:
Why does this keep happening?

I'm still waiting for At the Mountains of Madness, for Azathoth's sake!

I need to stop being a Del Toro fan, there is too much pain.
Honestly, I'm not sure I want At the Mountains of Madness anymore, especially if Tom Cruise is still the lead. I feel like anything he's attached to is just going to end up as some kind of horror I can't conceive and should remained buried in whatever frozen place it currently resides.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Did Pacific Rim need a sequel? No.

But when you consider all the money that gets dumped into bad sequels... All the hack directors and terrible writers who get greenlit... All the crap that will hit the screen between January and April...

That a director with as much imagination and talent as Del Toro can't get a movie together makes me sad.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Zhukov said:
Meh. The first film was like 10 minutes of cool action surrounded by 80 minutes of cliche characters exchanging goofy dialogue.

Plus they killed off the interesting robots in favour of the boring ones. Weird.

I always wondered why they killed off as many robots as they did. What? Is nobody a fan of mass robot on monster fighting action?! Why does it always have to come down to the lone hero? /boggle

Pacific Rim was decent, but glad they didn't get a chance to fall off the precipice.