Candy Crush Dev: Microtransactions Are The Future of Games

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Fuck you.
"If you talk to many hardcore gamers, they're not happy about it right now, but if you asked them about the long term, 'do you want to continue playing your favorite game for years to come?' And the answer will be yes," he said.
He's basically saying that the F2P model for EVERYTHING would work because they'd be holding all of gaming hostage, and that we'd have no choice.

So fuck you.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
The way most Free-To-Plays work now... its more likely this is the short-term future of gaming, and nothing more.

It'll die eventually, and it might just take a huge chunk of the industry with it if the industry at large is stupid enough to go along.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
That guy is just talking profits and then tries to justify that talk, it shows through and through. And there's an entire widespread branch of the video game business that really begs to differ, especially the indie one, but of course King isn't the kind of company who'd see that. The fact that they assume free to play like it's the only feasible line of revenue, and that everyone WILL ADOPT IT OR ELSE, pretty much shows that they're just spreadsheet-marking their profit assumptions based on "what is trending" rather than "what would be interesting to do".

Why does video games have to be the end getting caught in that kind of a pit? They're taking an entertainment media and treating it like anything but, taking all the attention from the "entertainment" part and pushing it all on the "how do we make quick money" part. Even the "big and evil" music industry knows contemporary pop idols are just one out of thousands of genres people listen to. Pacific Rim and the expansive Avengers series probably weren't funded because marketing said giant mechs, kaijus and superheroes were mainstream hits. Pixar probably doesn't consult profit spreadsheets when plotting their movie ideas. George RR Martin didn't write A Song of Ice and Fire because medieval murder plots were "a thing", nor did people try to adapt it to a TV series because medieval murder plots were "a thing".

So why the hell are companies like King, and so many other proclaimed tops of the game industry, so locked up in that abhorrent frame of mind that "these things appear to be a trend right now, so everyone should do those things"?

It's just silly, and self-destructive. But at least it's giving indie developers plenty of elbow room while some of these big-cheese* blokes are busy being idiots

(*Wanted to say big-budget, but King's entire repertoire could be done without much of a budget at all. The only thing those guys are big on are themselves.)

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
"Fall in line or die."
If this quote isn't turned into a meme soon with Tommy's stupid smug face all over it, i'll be really disappointed.

On a serious note, I've never wanted to see a company crash and burn and die as much as this one... it was fun with the whole trademarking "Candy" but now these guys have literally become blind, hell I bet they can't even function as humans, by money. So what if some games strive from your crap microtransaction?! Will a fighting game strive for making me pay a dollar JUST TO F***ING AIR COMBO?!
King has officially become the Westbro Baptist Church of the gaming industry.
In short: have fun whining, you're better of dead.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Candy Crush Dev: Microtransactions Are The Future of Games

"If you talk to many hardcore gamers, they're not happy about it right now, but if you asked them about the long term, 'do you want to continue playing your favorite game for years to come?' And the answer will be yes," he said.
This quote here bothers me. While it will apply to games that rely on servers being hosted by the company or sequels being made for a game (or additional content being added), that quote doesn't work for a lot of games.
It would be like saying the following:
"Hey do you want to continue playing your favorite game for years to come?"
"What, Skyrim? Yeah, I would love to keep playing that for years. In fact I am currently doing that right now"
"Boom! Proof that you support Micro transactions!"
"wait what?"
While Skyrim isn't my favorite game, it is one of my higher ups, and suits the example well.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
That's funny because that's the point where I'll stop playing.

Can these arrogant pricks please die in a fire already? Seriously.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
Oh look! LOOK! Isn't that cute? It's another anti-consumer pipe dream. Sorry, the smell... it's just gagging when you get trapped in a forum with a brain fart like that on the loose.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Keep your filthy mobile models out "real" games you moronic **** muffin.

I swear to Hesus, if this F2P fad takes over I'm going to quit playing and go into making games. Not only the F2P model is virtually opposed to quality, it even devalues the games for paying customers by demanding you pay multiple times what you would pay for a full price game.

Bought SWTOR at launch, played for a few months and quit.
Come back after a year to be greeted into a F2P game.
Go into options to disable it, option greyed out asking me to pay 5$ to disable the helmet visual.

Well thank you very much SWTOR, now if you would kindly step into this line of people who can suck my dick, and while you're waiting please feel free to GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
While not all Free To Play is bad, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see it become the standard model.

Sonder Saunters

Oct 24, 2009
He's right, I do want to keep playing my favourite games for years to come. So I'm gonna boot up Ratchet and Clank 3 right now and ignore your newer, shittier games, "AAA" industry. I hope you crash like it's 1983.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
my wife plays this game like crazy but after reading this she pretty much yelled out a loud fuck you, followed by the middle finger.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
************** Dark Souls Summer Sale! **************

$1.00 - Summon a dragon from the depths of your bowels to do battle with you!

$1.00 - Add fire-breathing capabilities to your dragon

$5.00 - Prevents instadeath caused by keeping a fire-breathing dragon in your methane pipe

Um, yeah.

The tone of that self-proclaimed "game guru" (what a joke) is quite disgusting. Thinking that every gamer will fall in line because he and his ilk are going to leave us with no other option? His god complex is showing through.

As pointed out by other people in this thread, there's no way that King's predatory model will infect gaming because there will always be developers who believe, like many of us, that games are art. If big studios want to go down in flames by holding content hostage behind a paywall, then let 'em. Maybe then the indies won't be so indie anymore - they'll be the victors.

In the end, people who want their work and their names to be remembered are going to provide us with the amazing experiences we crave. The best thing about that? They'll profit because of their passion and their connection to the audience.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
Free to play games I keep coming back to is a small list. WoT, LoL and Planetside2. This is out of probably a 100 I have tried. I think this goes to show, just because you can get people to look in the door doesn't mean they aren't going to turn around and get out in less then an hour of playing.

Taronus

Dec 31, 2011
"X is doing really well right now, so lets forget about all other options and every company just do X."
That is stupid in so many ways, this is not how the economy works mister "Game Guru.", you see companies make differnt products to fulfill the different needs and wants of their customers.
When every corporation follows the same policies and caters exclusively to one type of customers is when the industry crashes happen, see what happened to comic books and even video games at one point.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Wait, aren't these the guys who successfully patent-trolled another game that came out BEFORE THEIR GAME DID into oblivion?
I'm sorry, but...why should we listen to you, Mr. Guru?

...and now I'm picturing Super Kami Guru saying these things. Dammmit, internet! ><

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Guess I'll be playing less games.

I typically avoid games that expect me to pay, after I have already paid.

Especially since I find games like that are a lot less fun anyway since you can tell they're designed to cost money. Simpsons Tapped out is a good example of this. The game was fun, but as it became more profitable, the cost of things became higher (in donuts) and donuts became harder to get. So I noped my way out of that game.