Candy Crush Saga Comes Pre-Installed on Windows 10

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'll happily stick to 8, even if it gets the derps when I try to plug in any of my SD cards into my laptop.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
AuronFtw said:
All that should matter to gamers is benchmarks. Is it faster than 8.1 (which is faster than 7 already)? Does it take up less space on a HD? Does it take up less RAM? Can the metro bullshit be completely disabled? What kind of QOL improvements are there? Even the most fervent of haters can admit how many neat features 8.1 has that 7 lacks, and 10 will likely have even more. Are we seriously going to start a hipster clubhouse where people can only run Windows 98 because gaming was underground back then? That's pretty much the vibe I'm getting from this thread.
Actually I consider Windows 7 as better for 8 for gaming because it's got better backwards compatability, I have tested both and quite a few of my older games like Armada 1/2, Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 require stuffing around to get working or don't work at all. Granted this isn't an issue exclusive to Windows 8, XP had the same issue with some older games and so did Vista, but I'm sick of stuffing around just to get a game I want to play working. If I have to do that I may as well run Linux, atleast the effort I put in to get the game working results in it running on an OS I actually like.

Like it or not, the interface on 8 looks like a fisher price toy, I don't like it and 10 isn't much better. Yes Start 8/10 brings back the menu but it can't fix the lack of transparency (Aero) on the Windows etc, so everything still looks flat and old.

What neat features does 8 have which 7 doesn't? I have run 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 preview (multiple builds) and the only 'feature' is cloud storage invading my OS trying to steal my data until I tell it to fuck off and some useless Apps I uninstall, aka more bloatware.

Also, we don't know if you can even uninstall the game, some of the other crap in 10 I wanted to remove wasn't possible.

One bright side about this, atleast Windows 10 now has something to advertise which previous Windows doesn't have. Now comes pre-installed with skinner box malware errr.... I mean bloatware!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
snekadid said:
And Windows 10 just got worse in my eyes.
I hear ya.
I've been boycotting windows operating systems ever since they came with games like Hearts and Minesweeper.

Seriously though...do you dislike the idea of free software (gaming or otherwise) being built into an operating system or is it just the fact that this is an absurdly popular game like Candy Crush? Replace Candy Crush with something like The Witcher 3, would that make any difference?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
babinro said:
snekadid said:
I hear ya.
I've been boycotting windows operating systems ever since they came with games like Hearts and Minesweeper.

Seriously though...do you dislike the idea of free software (gaming or otherwise) being built into an operating system or is it just the fact that this is an absurdly popular game like Candy Crush? Replace Candy Crush with something like The Witcher 3, would that make any difference?
Personally, yes. Regardless of weather I like a game or not I don't want it pre-installed. I will chose what to install on my system when I want it to be installed.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
babinro said:
snekadid said:
I hear ya.

I dislike garbage coming force installed and with restrictions on deleting it, like companies keep doing with viruses like Mcaffee and other trash that doesn't deserve to exist. You like free software huh, I got just the program for you. All it does is fill up diskspace and make a screeching noise randomly but hey, its free!

Also, you know what else is popular? Taking shots up your ass, go for it trendsetter, go for a full bottle of vodka! Candy crush is a subpar match 3 game filled with microtransactions and owned by a company that made me root for zynga. I don't recall hearts trademarking basic shapes or patenting card games.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
I've nothing against candy crush, but this should really just be a free app offer in the microsoft app store. Downloading the free upgrade as is will hamstring people who are on datacaps for the month, do you really want to tell them that the mandatory download will be even bigger for a game?

Hell, it'd even market better if advertised as a free app store download. "If you have Windows 10, you can log into the app store and download Candy Crush Saga for free!" Sounds better than what they are laying down. Your drawing attention to what you really want, the app store, with a hook for people to bite on.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
AuronFtw said:
I'm actually amused at the people bitching and moaning about this. Is it really that hard to uninstall the bullshit that comes preinstalled? Have we not been doing this for literally 20+ years? Is a single game (that's proven immeasurably popular on the mobile market) really just cause to dust off the torches and pitchforks? Get a fucking grip. Y'all need some serious reality checks.

All that should matter to gamers is benchmarks. Is it faster than 8.1 (which is faster than 7 already)? Does it take up less space on a HD? Does it take up less RAM? Can the metro bullshit be completely disabled? What kind of QOL improvements are there? Even the most fervent of haters can admit how many neat features 8.1 has that 7 lacks, and 10 will likely have even more. Are we seriously going to start a hipster clubhouse where people can only run Windows 98 because gaming was underground back then? That's pretty much the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

Yeah, the game sucks. So does IE whatever they're calling IE now. So does a lot of basic shitty pre-installed software. If a single, easily uninstalled program turns you off an OS upgrade, I just have to wonder if you're the same tumblr people that walk around with trigger warning signs so you don't get offended while you're out in public (but manage to get offended anyway, because of course you do).
Not sure whether this includes the mobile edition of Windows, but my normal Desktop OS installation procedure already includes a ritual burning of all bloatware. I fail to see how this is any different.\

Either it's easily removed, or you can google for half a second for either a tutorial, or a bat file, or a minor program to get rid of it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
babinro said:
snekadid said:
I hear ya.

Unlike Minsweeper, Candy Crush is freemium. Maybe not when on W10 when it ships but I doubt that they'll change the model anytime soon.

Vigormortis said:
NLS said:
AuronFtw said:
You're both operating under the massive assumption that it can be uninstalled. Users have been reporting that the current preview builds of 10 don't allow users to uninstall certain programs and "features", including the Xbox App. So it's not a massive leap to think that Candy Crush may be in a similar situation.
And this is what I was afraid of when it comes to W10, more bull you cannot uninstall. More reasons to stick to 8 for me.

RicoADF said:
AuronFtw said:
Actually I consider Windows 7 as better for 8 for gaming because it's got better backwards compatability, I have tested both and quite a few of my older games like Armada 1/2, Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 require stuffing around to get working or don't work at all. Granted this isn't an issue exclusive to Windows 8, XP had the same issue with some older games and so did Vista, but I'm sick of stuffing around just to get a game I want to play working. If I have to do that I may as well run Linux, atleast the effort I put in to get the game working results in it running on an OS I actually like.
I personally have a better time running older games on 8 than on 7. Carmageddon 2 is a nice example. But everyone has their own mileage so to speak.

RicoADF said:
Like it or not, the interface on 8 looks like a fisher price toy, I don't like it and 10 isn't much better. Yes Start 8/10 brings back the menu but it can't fix the lack of transparency (Aero) on the Windows etc, so everything still looks flat and old.
The Metro interface is awfull, can't disagree. But Windows 8 does give a better performance since Aero was removed for the most part.

RicoADF said:
Also, we don't know if you can even uninstall the game, some of the other crap in 10 I wanted to remove wasn't possible.

One bright side about this, atleast Windows 10 now has something to advertise which previous Windows doesn't have. Now comes pre-installed with skinner box malware errr.... I mean bloatware!
Have to admit, I laughed.

Anyway, just wanting to give my own view on 8 (or 8.1 for that matter).

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
babinro said:
There is a huge difference there! Candy Crush Saga is a casual puzzle game that is well-known for trying to get players to spend a ton of money on microtransactions and which anyone can download easily without paying anything. The Witcher 3 is a massive RPG that costs about $40 at its cheapest right now and is from a company with a very good reputation among most gamers. There is a much better deal to be had in having The Witcher 3 installed by default.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
I'm not worried about it. Those who want it will keep it, and those of us who don't will uninstall it.
This IS the internet, people. Even if they try to make it uninstallable bloatware, someone will find a way to get rid of it within hours and spread that thing faster than Chlamydia in a Texas High School.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
0takuMetalhead said:
I personally have a better time running older games on 8 than on 7. Carmageddon 2 is a nice example. But everyone has their own mileage so to speak.
Yeah that's true, we tried Total Annihilation and it wouldn't work at all on 8 (my friend's original copy, I have tried my GoG version), also ST: Armada 2 had issues with 8, there was a work around but it was an annoyance to do with playing it over LAN, I think 8 removed the old protocols (can't recall). We got it working after alot of stuffing around but it gave me a bad taste, so removed it asap.

0takuMetalhead said:
The Metro interface is awfull, can't disagree. But Windows 8 does give a better performance since Aero was removed for the most part.
I don't get any performance increase with 8, my main PC being on SSD, i7 2600k, 8GB 1600mhz ram and Nvidia 780ti didn't see any improvement.

My laptop though felt slow on Windows 8.1 (i7 4000 series (cant remember), 16GB 1600mhz Nvidia 750m). So I installed 7 and it ran smoother straight away and still does, I don't know why but 8 performed worse on my end. The preinstalled version didn't have alot of bloatware (and I had removed the extra crap) so I don't understand why it was so sluggish. I'm sure if I got an OEM of 8.1 it would work better but tbh I don't want to waste the money on an OS I personally don't like using.

0takuMetalhead said:
\
Have to admit, I laughed.

Anyway, just wanting to give my own view on 8 (or 8.1 for that matter).
Glad to hear I got some laughs :)

I agree that it's each to their own, some prefer certain UI styles that others don't and with different hardware our experiences can be quite different hence why I gave my experience.

I have 8.1 on my Samsung ATIV and it works fine on it, but being a tablet Hybrid (which 8 was built for) it of course fits more naturally and is unlikely to run the software that my desktop and gaming laptop were trying to run. So I can see where it works, but I don't like the looks myself and don't see it replacing 7 on my other machines anytime soon.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
RicoADF said:
Yeah that's true, we tried Total Annihilation and it wouldn't work at all on 8 (my friend's original copy, I have tried my GoG version), also ST: Armada 2 had issues with 8, there was a work around but it was an annoyance to do with playing it over LAN, I think 8 removed the old protocols (can't recall). We got it working after alot of stuffing around but it gave me a bad taste, so removed it asap.
I got TA to run on 8, but I run into the issue that savegames become corrupted. Skirmishes luckily work. So, while I really like 8, I can't deny that there are games that do not work on it.

RicoADF said:
Glad to hear I got some laughs :)

I agree that it's each to their own, some prefer certain UI styles that others don't and with different hardware our experiences can be quite different hence why I gave my experience.

I have 8.1 on my Samsung ATIV and it works fine on it, but being a tablet Hybrid (which 8 was built for) it of course fits more naturally and is unlikely to run the software that my desktop and gaming laptop were trying to run. So I can see where it works, but I don't like the looks myself and don't see it replacing 7 on my other machines anytime soon.
Personally only use the Metro menu when I need to use the search function. It works, but if you use the mouse the tiles become somewhat obnoxious. Do have to admit that I do like it that I see the weather forecast as soon as my laptop has booted up though (never upgraded to 8.1 myself).

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Feh, Not happy about that abomination that calls itself a "game" being on Windows 10, but as long as I can easily uninstall it without a hassle, I'm not going to be too upset

Now if it can't be uninstalled then I will be having a massive problem

matthewemz

Sep 1, 2008
Can it be uninstalled? Also what does it mean by "the rest of King's catalog"...have they ever made another game (and if they have can I kill it?)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RatGouf said:
As much as I hate the makers of Candy Crush Saga I don't even comprehend why anyone else would even acknowledge it when compared to similar games they can play for free on flash websites.
Because it's popular. So, if you want to outdo your FB friends, you have to play a popular game, even if there are better. Also, use FB, for that matter.

matthewemz said:
Can it be uninstalled? Also what does it mean by "the rest of King's catalog"...have they ever made another game (and if they have can I kill it?)
Cndy Crush Soda Saga comes to mind.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Guaranteed it still has micro-transactions. That's probably why King took the deal. In fact I'm willing to bet that King paid a lot of money for this deal, that's what Windows has come to now, a free-to-play model. 3D Pinball didn't have micro-transactions, next thing we'll learn is that there are ads on the start up page.

Remember when Windows cost money but came as a complete package with no deals shoved down our throats? Peperidge farm remembers.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
God-freaking-damnit Microsoft. After Windows 8 I realised that you must just plain hate people, but this is a step too far. I am against anything unnecessary coming pre-installed but if you had to install something, why not MineCraft, you already own Mojang for christ sake...

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Microsoft being like "So we know that we've left PC gamers out in the dust for quite some time so now we're gonna try to win you guys back. How about some Candy Crush pre installed on Windows 10? That'll be good right?"

It's a laugh really. They are so unconnected with PC gamers that it's pathetic.

I wonder though, who paid who, because both companies are stinking rich to the point where they don't really need it.

But I'll stick to my Windows 8.1 which I like a lot.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I may just end up sticking to Windows 7, because there's pretty much nothing wrong with it and 10 could well end up being another Windows 8.