Candy Crush Saga Dev Attempts to Block Banner Saga Trademark

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I realllllly hope a much bigger older studio who has a game ending in the word Saga gets wind of this, and files injunctions against King. Just absolutely takes them to the cleaners, destroys their trademark. And then I hope as many people as possible make candy crush clones, once the trademark is destroyed.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Free advertising for The Banner Saga! Though it doesn't even need it, the game's getting talked about all over the place right now and for good reason. Can't wait for part 2, it's some of the best writing I've seen in a game in a long time. Those mobile app games like Candy Crush and Angry Birds have no place butting into gaming outside of their niche. It's like they consider themselves to be real game makers or something.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Your never suppose to go full retard....King just went full retard :(

Copy write laws struggle to remain up to date. Any sensible law court would just toss this application out.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
MrPhyntch said:
I guess they should also trademark block LEGO Star Wars, the complete Saga, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, SaGa...

Seriously. Forget any other possible reform to the IP system of this country. We need a provision that if a company abuses their trademark more than once, they have the potential to lose all associated trademarks. This is absolute bollocks.
ha they wouldnt be stupid enough to go after lego, nintendo not to mention the evil behemoth that is the mighy mouse empire. disney would end up owning their company and their first born
Elijin said:
I realllllly hope a much bigger older studio who has a game ending in the word Saga gets wind of this, and files injunctions against King. Just absolutely takes them to the cleaners, destroys their trademark. And then I hope as many people as possible make candy crush clones, once the trademark is destroyed.
Disney, Lego, Nintendo, do you guys see this? We might not like everything you do, but this is basically free positive PR! Heck, sue those assholes and gamers will not only like you a bit more, but your legal team actually gets to flex those big muscles of theirs and you make some money out of it! What's not to like?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
You know, I was going to buy The Banner Saga thinking that i was getting Candy Crush Saga and that the two games were obviously the same. But thanks to this i can now put my money in the hands of the proper developers who invented the word "Saga".

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So stupid.

I hereby invite the good peoples of Scandinavia to once again get into their longboats for a good old-fashioned viking raid on King's offices.

Feel free to pillage and plunder to your hearts content.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I might just follow the leader and go buy The Banner Saga now. Not only do I want to give them the money to pay attorney fees should they decide to fight this, The Banner Saga actually looks like a pretty fun game, certainly more fun than Candy Crush.

Also Jim could we get an episode on this please?

ponderus

Oct 27, 2008
Seriously though, does anyone know where or what Tim Langdell is doing these days? This reeks of him so badly, it makes you wonder...

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Scrumpmonkey said:
"Overreaching mobile 'game' studio who exclusively produces poor derivatives of existing games attacks original community funded art game"

Prepare your anus King, the gaming community is coming.
They'll need to prepare it with a loooot of asbestos, since the gaming community primarily fights and murderizes using a lot of hate, nicotine, and fire.

Wandering_Hero said:
Id find it hilarious if Square came out of the wood work and sued them for using Saga, since Square had an entire series of games called Saga
This needs to happen. This absolutely needs to happen.

HEY SQUARE! WE KNOW YOU'RE HURTING FOR CASH RIGHT NOW! HOW DOES FREE MONEY AND GOOD PR SOUND?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Yes, please. Mister Sterling, if you could grace us with your astute analysis of this patently ridiculous situation, we'd all be delighted, I'm sure.

That said - Jesus Effing Christ, are they whaling in on that. They aren't putting out much more than artificially challenging Bejeweled clones with different flavors of cutesy-poo, and they have the nerve to copyright that shit?! Why don't they copyright "Crush" while they're at it? Then they'll be able to sue PepsiCo for using the word "Crush" for their fake orange products; and consequently get sued into the Earth's molten core by a megacorp's team of crack lawyers!

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
...seriously guys? You're suing the makers of The Banner Saga because "people will be confused by the name"? You're so full of crap, guys. You're becoming James Bond villains at this point, so just stop. While I don't agree with your attempt to block Candy Slots, I could somewhat see the logic in it. This? There's no friggin' logic, you're just being copyright bullies to a game that nobody will ever confuse with your freemium game and, in fact, markets itself to a completely different demographic than you guys do. You've essentially become the next Zynga, and I hope your story ends like Zynga's looks like it will. I've seen your other games in action (never played them, but seen them) and you guys don't have an original idea in your thick skulls, ripping off everything from Bejeweled to Bust-A-Move to even Peggle to an extent. I think if your ideas are just giant rip-offs of pre-existing games, you lose all right to pull crap like this.

Paulo Belato

May 26, 2012
cursedseishi said:
If anything, Banner Saga should be pushing for legal action against these hacks.
The Banner Saga released their kickstarter in March of 2012.
Candy Crush Saga released in April.

Only a month's difference, sure, but far as I care these guys can have their pancreases ripped out and an amount of candy equal to the pound-equivalent worth of bullshit they're claiming shoved down their soon to be foaming, locked-open-thanks-to-diabetic-induced-coma gullets.

And that's if the amount of sugar in said amount of candy doesn't crush their bodies glucose level into the ground first.
If you read the original pdf (here [http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/ttabvue-91214235-OPP-1.pdf]) you will see that the SAGA series owned by King began in late 2011:

"[King] used its SAGA Marks at least as early as 2011, which is prior to [Stoic]'s January 10, 2013 filing date and alleged January 1, 2012 first use date."

What King is doing is saying that "The Banner Saga" could be potentially confused with their own Saga series.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Yep, jumped on the bandwagon and went straight off to Steam and bought The Banner Saga.

I was interested, but going to wait on a sale. Now, though, I'm more interested in pissing in King.com's cereal.

Trademarks based on a single common-use word are patently absurd . The USPTO needs to start looking at the relevance of the laws and make adjustments to what it allows. Apparently King.com also trademarked the word "Candy."

Edit: Oh, and god forbid some fool does get "Candy Crush Saga" and "The Banner Saga" confused and buys the latter. They just might end up with an actual good game.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
It was just the word "Candy" they said (which is bad enough). Then it was "just to stop copycat IP infringers" they said. If anyone actually purchases The Banner Saga with the anticipation that they would be getting Bejeweled: Microtransaction Edition instead, they are in severe need of help or have a near infinite amount of money to just click "buy" on everything.

Oh, and fuck you King. Take a look at Zynga, think of all the lessons you should have learned from their mistakes, then jump off a cliff dick-first. That or just quit using your freemium money to bully people around needlessly.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Good guy King, netting profit for the Banner Saga devs (read just bought it on Steam).

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Move the fuck over EA.
A new challenger has appeared. At the rate this shitbird is going King is going to hands down win the biggest douchebag of the year....for the next decade.

Zukabazuka

Mar 7, 2012
Reminds me of the person who took copyright on the word Edge and was constantly hunting companies who had the name edge in their games. Ended with him amassing a huge amount of hate towards his company and even people was sending death threats to him.

http://www.destructoid.com/tim-langdell-s-edge-trademark-claim-finally-quashed-252206.phtml

There, the dude went up against EA and lost, Yay. Haven't heard about EA issuing copyright claims on words but I think they have copyright on their games names at least.