Capcom Ceases Development On Mega Man Online

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Capcom Ceases Development On Mega Man Online

Rockman Online (aka Mega Man Online) has been canceled, adding another title to the growing list of games starring the Blue Bomber that were aborted pre-launch.

If you've been following Capcom for the last decade, you might get the impression that the company hates Mega Man. Despite the character and his adventures being one of the key foundations on which Capcom was built, the recent past has seen nothing but bad news for the lil' guy. Mega Man Legends 3 was canceled, he was dropped from the roster of Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (and its semi-sequel Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3) and now a PC MMO starring Mega Man has also been shuttered.

According to Kotaku, Capcom and Korean developer NeoWiz Games have mutually decided to kill the project after a long and troubled production cycle. Updates on the game's official blog ceased more than a year ago, and though the firms attempted to move forward, it was eventually decided that the best course of action would be to cut their losses.

"Both companies have continually discussed to find agreeable points on quality, development time, communication and etc," claims a NeoWiz spokesperson via Kotaku's translation. "Ultimately, both companies have agreed to stop the development of Rockman Online last early November."

Obviously this is sad news for Mega Man fans, but if it's any consolation those of you located in Western territories likely wouldn't have ever seen the game anyway. As you probably noticed, Mega Man Online was being created as a joint effort between Capcom and Korea's NeoWiz Games, almost certainly as a result of the Korean obsession with online gaming. Capcom no doubt wanted to tap this vein of MMO fandom, but beyond that it seems doubtful that an MMO based on Mega Man could have been a lucrative venture outside of South Korea and other East Asian countries that similarly adore online videogames.

Plus, at this point, we're pretty sure Capcom's executives subsist entirely on the tears of Mega Man fans. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it; human sadness is delicious.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5990487/so-mega-man-online-has-been-cancelled]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
First they dash my hopes of Megaman Legends 3, say that it was cancelled because fans didn't support it, and now they do this! I knew there was a reason why I stopped buying Capcom games after Okami.
Earnest Cavalli said:
Plus, at this point, we're pretty sure Capcom's executives subsist entirely on the tears of Mega Man fans. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it; human sadness is delicious.
I've tried tears, they were of dissapointment and depression. They were awful.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Oh Capcom, for some reason you just don't want my money anymore. Between what you have done with DMC, MM, and RE, I just don't have a reason to give you money anymore.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The best was when they put that fat-ass Mega Man into a fighting game (forget which one, wasn't it the most recent Capcom vs SNK or something?) Anyways, if that wasn't a big "FUCK YOU!" with both middle fingers raised at Mega Man fans, I don't know what is.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
RJ 17 said:
The best was when they put that fat-ass Mega Man into a fighting game (forget which one, wasn't it the most recent Capcom vs SNK or something?) Anyways, if that wasn't a big "FUCK YOU!" with both middle fingers raised at Mega Man fans, I don't know what is.
But that was a decision made by Keiji Inafune himself, BBA MegaMan was a fantastic character anyway.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I am really tired of calling them jerks by this point. I would say they are the EA of Japan but EA occasionally shows signs of intelligence. Capcom just went full retard and doesn't care about it.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
RJ 17 said:
It was SF vs Tekken actually(don't feel bad for not knowing, I had to search for it myself), Funny note I found out in my searching that apparently MM's creator was asked which version of MM would be in the game, and he chose the original MM who had the not so flattering yellow/blue color combo SF vs T has, although I can't find any info saying that he needed a steady diet of mcdonalds, dunkin donuts and beer beforehand. :p

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Hey! Hey!

At least there is still Mega Man XOver! You know, that free, online flash game...?

Wait...
What do you mean that isn't a flash game? That was just someone mocking it? Its on the IOS? And its chock-full of cash shop...?!

No wonder its still around while everything else is canned...
they even delayed that for everyone else because of how many people are pissed about it.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
This one actually makes sense, from what I can tell. Doesn't excuse them for blaming fans for canceling MML3, but I could see there being massive issues with developing an MMO that would cause them to just cut their losses. And really, was anyone asking for a Megaman MMO? How would that even work? That makes less sense than a Kirby MMO, imo.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Did y'all really want to see Mega Man get the Korean MMO treatment in the first place?
Good question, though the alternative is a complete lack of recent games starring Mega Man, so I'd have to think fans of the lil' dude might prefer anything, even a Korean MMO, to nothing at all.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
ShirowShirow said:
In recent years Capcom have become masters at destroying their own fanbase. This is nothing new.
Basically this! ^

Yeah, it's been that way for the past couple of years. Bunch of sick bastards. And that fucking company wonders why people left them for Platinum Games.
After all Platinum/Clover Studios was all that was good in Capcom and broke away to become its own developing department.

[HEADING=2]Still, I'm glad Clover Studios broke away from Capcom. They gave us these cool Games.[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]Crapcom only wishes it could be that good again[/HEADING]

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Capcom, why don't you want our money anymore? Between squandering Ace Attorney, and now canning Megaman games left and right..

What the hell happened to you, Capcom. You used to be cool.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Capcom, honestly, sell your IP's and give them to somebody that can make proper use of them.
I want a Kojima Megaman!
Megaman Solid: Reploids of Liberty
Oh the epicness...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hey, what is it with these companies doing the exact wrong thing lately?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Capcom dose not like money this is why they close down their best IPs and piss on the remaining ones....